Homescreens / profile switching

Guest Aero

Guest Aero

Hi folks,

Couple of related questions!

I have a Kaiser on Orange and have been using a downloaded version of the original HTC Homescreen.

I keep seeing loads of slightly different versions of the homescreen, (4 tab, 5 tab, 6 tab), some of which people have loads of problems with. Can't remember where I got mine from, thought it was freewarepocketpc but their version has a 5th tab that controls phone vibrate/silent settings etc., whilst my 5th tab seems to control the media player.

Why are there so many different versions? Is there a definitive version that will work without problems?

This leads me on to my second question!

I'm forever having to switch my phone into vibrate/silent mode and back and don't have time to use the stylus so I find myself poking at the tiny icon top right with my finger!

Is there some sort of plugin for the homescreen or simple program that will give me an easier way of doing it?

Tempted to use one of the 5-tab homescreens that seem to control this but some people have had compatibility problems I think...

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=porta...ews&id=4618

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-downlo...lugin-v1-0.html

The one I use works fine but I'd like the vibrate/silent mode control if possible!

Edited by Aero

Guest Aero

Just downloaded HTC Home Customiser

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-downlo...mizer-v1-0.html

And swapped the fifth tab for the "vibrate/silent" tab.

Seems to work OK - can I expect any slow downs or other compatibility problems?

Can I uninstall the Customiser now?

PS - how do I alter the "automatic" settings!? I have no idea what the automatic profile does!

Edited by Aero

Guest Webreaper

Best profile app out there is PhoneAlarm

You can set up multiple profiles, with all sorts of settings associated with them (to name a few, you can set up bluetooth, wifi, vibrate, ringtone, reminder, email send/rec frequency, backlight/power timeout, etc etc). Profiles can be switched from a menu in the Today screen plugin (for which there are loads of great skins), but can also be configured to auto-switch based on time, appointment status (e.g., switch to silent during a meeting in your calendar) and even location (detected by your local cell tower or GPS) so that, for example,

- when I'm in the office my phone is in silent mode

- when I'm at home wifi is enabled and the volume on but low

- when I'm in any other unspecified location my 'out & about' profile is activated, increasing the screen brightness and volume

The lastest version is 2.0 - which is in Beta, but I've been running it for weeks and it's great. I can't recommend it highly enough - IMO it's a must-have app for a WM device.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with PocketMax, just a satisfied user. :D

Guest crazyc
Best profile app out there is PhoneAlarm

You can set up multiple profiles, with all sorts of settings associated with them (to name a few, you can set up bluetooth, wifi, vibrate, ringtone, reminder, email send/rec frequency, backlight/power timeout, etc etc). Profiles can be switched from a menu in the Today screen plugin (for which there are loads of great skins), but can also be configured to auto-switch based on time, appointment status (e.g., switch to silent during a meeting in your calendar) and even location (detected by your local cell tower or GPS) so that, for example,

- when I'm in the office my phone is in silent mode

- when I'm at home wifi is enabled and the volume on but low

- when I'm in any other unspecified location my 'out & about' profile is activated, increasing the screen brightness and volume

The lastest version is 2.0 - which is in Beta, but I've been running it for weeks and it's great. I can't recommend it highly enough - IMO it's a must-have app for a WM device.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with PocketMax, just a satisfied user. :D

I would second this - take a look at the various different skins, it is so customisable its great. I run a very cut down today plugin skin with only 3 buttons, bluetooth, wifi, and profile change.

Guest Aero

PhoneAlarm looks good and I will give it a whirl!

Being an inquisitive sort though, does anybody know the answers to my original questions?

Particularly, how does the "automatic" profile work and can it be altered?

Can you uninstall HTC Homescreen customiser once you've changed your homescreen

Is HTC Homescreen customiser likely to slow the phone down?

Guest shootydogthing

You can uninstall it (you have to to change the weather settings) and you can have all 6 tabs if you want them, it doesn;t slow the phone down, and AFAIK "automatic" goes to silent when you're in an appointment from the calender lol