HTC to release Wifi and GPS drivers for Touch Dual?

Guest battletank

Guest battletank

A report on Smartphone France suggests that HTC could release wifi and GPS support for the Touch Dual as early as next week. It has often been rumoured that the hardware might be able to support these functions, but this has generally been dismissed. This time, the website claim to have written confirmation from HTC. Don't hold your breath.....

(Translation of original article HERE)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul (MVP)

Although it is believe the Dual DOES have WiFi harware, i'm 99% sure the required GPS hardware is in here.

A monstrous pinch of salt required methinks :D

P

Guest Griff_FFOC
Although it is believe the Dual DOES have WiFi harware, i'm 99% sure the required GPS hardware is in here.

I'm a little confused by that sentance Paul. :D

You mention Wi-fi and GPS together in different contexts.

Even if they were there, I doubt Orange would ever release a rom update for them.

Edited by Griff_FFOC

Guest Paul (MVP)

Oops...

"Although it is believed the Dual DOES have WiFi harware, i'm 99% sure the required GPS hardware is NOT in there."

Sorry :D

P

Guest latvianmidget

Very long thread about this over at XDA Developers. Current state of play there is they have taken the Niki/Touch Dual to bits and whilst the chipset for the GPS is obviously there is no antenna and no reasonable way to add an antenna, so it won't work. (and they have been pretty vocal about the fact it is a non starter!)

The Wi-Fi there is more hope for and some people are working on getting this working but wouldn't suggest holding ones breath. I can't imagine HTC will be interested in adding this functionality after having released it either given their lack of activity on the Graphics Drivers to date, but I suppose hope springs eternal!

(edit - spelling!)

Edited by latvianmidget