I took it apart!

Guest hagie92

Guest hagie92

Hey all, I dissected my phone in order to answer some questions I've found on here. (The phone still works!)

• The BJ II DOES NOT have a WIFI chip. Period. Sorry to smash all hopes... :D
    • Space is VERY limited inside the phone...so a mini WIFI card conversion thingy would probably not work either. (HURRY UP SPECTEC!!)

[*]The BJ II Has a SINGLE stereo speaker for music, games, etc...and a SINGLE speaker for calling.

Ummm...if you have any other questions, please ask...i'll take it apart again if i need to.

-Hagie92

Guest xxa1rxforce1zxx
Hey all, I dissected my phone in order to answer some questions I've found on here. (The phone still works!)
    • Space is VERY limited inside the phone...so a mini WIFI card conversion thingy would probably not work either. (HURRY UP SPECTEC!!)

[*]The BJ II Has a SINGLE stereo speaker for music, games, etc...and a SINGLE speaker for calling.

Ummm...if you have any other questions, please ask...i'll take it apart again if i need to.

-Hagie92

Were you able to clean the dust behind the screen i been wanting to try and do that

Guest Mysterious Stranger

A single speaker would make it mono then... unless there are 2 drivers in the speaker enclosure?

M.S

Guest Sed8ed

-Hagie92

God nobody uses the search function...Already done!!!!

http://www.modaco.com/content/samsung-i617...-internal-pics/

Wifi was discussed ages ago....

There's a new product on the market with an adaptor from microsd to sd thats sdio capable...the guts will fit inside the BJII it's just a question of whether or not it will work with Win Mobile Standard edition. The chipset in the BJII supports SDIO devices and Wifi....just have to spend the money on an SD Spectec wifi card and the adapter (about $100 USD) and see how it goes.......

And yes it's tight inside the BJII but modding can be achieved...

Guest hagie92

Sorry Guys,

Don't have a camera with me, but Sed8ed's post seems to clear it up, in a very sarcastic way, that this has already been done...(just trying to help..)

As for the dust under screen...it is very easy to dissassemble the entire phone.

Here are instructions for getting to the screen..(Ill try to post pics later)

1. Turn off phone, take out battery, SIM, MicroSD

2. Unscrew all 6 of the external screws on the phone (tiny phillips head screw driver, one is under SIM, 2 are under removable plastic pieces at the top)

3. Very GENTLY, starting from the bottom of the phone, pull apart, and continue up the sides. (nothing is fixed to the back piece of the phone, so dont worry about taring something up.)

4. The back piece should come completely off, Now look down the phone sideways...there are 2 clips that fix the front piece to the main part of the phone, undo these...the front and back should now be off...

5. Clean the screen, clear it of dust, and replace. (not as hard as I thought)

If you have any other questions, let me know!

-Hagie92

Guest Mikdugal1
Ha, yeah...plz dont hold me legally responsible! :(

And no, there are no stickers to worry about.... :D

-Hagie92

Lol thx.

I just took mine apart to clean the screen. I put it all back together some how there is more dust :[

better luck next time

Guest xxa1rxforce1zxx
Sorry Guys,

Don't have a camera with me, but Sed8ed's post seems to clear it up, in a very sarcastic way, that this has already been done...(just trying to help..)

As for the dust under screen...it is very easy to dissassemble the entire phone.

Here are instructions for getting to the screen..(Ill try to post pics later)

1. Turn off phone, take out battery, SIM, MicroSD

2. Unscrew all 6 of the external screws on the phone (tiny phillips head screw driver, one is under SIM, 2 are under removable plastic pieces at the top)

3. Very GENTLY, starting from the bottom of the phone, pull apart, and continue up the sides. (nothing is fixed to the back piece of the phone, so dont worry about taring something up.)

4. The back piece should come completely off, Now look down the phone sideways...there are 2 clips that fix the front piece to the main part of the phone, undo these...the front and back should now be off...

5. Clean the screen, clear it of dust, and replace. (not as hard as I thought)

If you have any other questions, let me know!

-Hagie92

thank you very much your a big help

Guest Sed8ed
Sorry Guys,

-Hagie92

Hey, didnt mean to sound sarcastic...no offence was meant. Thing I've noticed in the BJII thread is heaps of double posting!! Lots of threads being started regarding the BJII about things already discussed or figured out.

There's a thread "The Lost Souls thread of tips" if many newbies actually read it they would see whats been covered. It still get's updated and covers the most basic of unlocking procedures with links to full info on what does and doesnt work on GPS.....

I guess I'm getting old but posting a about something thats already been mentioned usually means that person is too lazy to look, if they took the time to register with the site they could at least do a search!!!

I understand you were curious and wnted to help out....not problems with that!! Adding to the community is what it's all about....but lets keep it simple and easy to read without duoble post on subjects. Even if a thread is old revive it with a new post instead of starting a new one.

regards,

Peter

Guest sfleuriet

One tip for those of you wanting to take the phone apart to clean the dust... gently wipe off the LCD screen itself, then focus mainly on the clear screen protector. Clean that protector, dry it, then clean it multiple more times. There are little specs of dust that you can easily miss!

Guest hagie92

Oh,

And sed8ed its fine...haha, I know what you mean about duplicate posts! (expecially dealing with GPS and Garmin Mobile!!!! ugh!!! :D) But I guess i shoulda looked before I made this topic.

Back to business. I really do think it is possible to implement a MINI SD card, internally. I added a picture (stolen from sed8ed) haha...showing the actual solders to where the micro sd slot hooks to the board. I also took apart a MicroSD to MiniSD adaptor to see how hard this would be. It is completely plausable.

The Gold Pins on the 2nd picture are MiniSD, the Silver are MicroSD. (sorry, I know the picture sucks...) The MiniSD has 3 ignored gold pins (grouped in red).

If someone was to solder, according to these pictures, a MiniSD WiFi card, we actually could have something.

If you know more about this stuff then me, help me out. My idea of doing this internally is trying to find a way that is best suited, and still allows you to use the MicroSD slot. Of course, I wonder how that would work if this thing was hooked up when u put a microSD card in? hmm, maybe we need a way to turn the WiFi card off if we do make this work?

Help me out with ideas...

Hagie92

post-358457-1213057648_thumb.jpg

post-358457-1213057668_thumb.jpg

Guest Sed8ed
no replies in 2 days? haha...no ideas?? :D

HA...the same thing happened to me!! nothing but crickets and tumble weeds.

An adapter has been produced and can be purchased..

I actually have an invoice here for the product including price and shipping but the adapter is for SD cards to micro SD.

Basically it solves soldering anything at all but as a result you have to pay!!! Thing with the BJII is the chipset is said to be SDIO compatible yet there's nothing around to slot and prove it....

If we could some way marry a spectec donated card from a user and try and get the adapter as a review unit we could be on to something.....

The whole thing would cost me about $100+ USD to just try out....and there are no guarantees, we would most likely need a driver of some sort ripped and ported from another device...but then still no guarantees it would work. Unless we physically try it will always be a "what if" situation. I dont have the cash atm as I am saving for an MSI Wind UMPC due in a few weeks.......

Here's the adapter:

http://www.ameri-rack.com/APA-TFC1m.html

I could easily get that inside the BJII neatly and professionally....Question is do the spectec wifi cards have any memory onboard?

Drivers for the card:

http://www.spectec.com.tw/Download.htm#wlan

Windows Mobile 6 listed...doesn't say anything about standard edition.

So there it is......

Edited by Sed8ed

Guest hagie92

yeah thanks sed8ed, I saw that on some other post, but it worries me that their may not be enough space inside to fit that thing in there! haha, also, I like that idea so you wouldnt have to solder, but you would have a little flexible thing coming out of the phone to fit in the microSD jack! :D

I dont believe these wifi cards have any user-usable memory. :(

And also, I'm pretty worried about those drivers, I could just imagine me paying that money and it not working! haha, just my luck.

Kinda off subject, but even though i LOVE my blackjack 2...i am about 99.9% sure that i'm gonna sell it for the iPhone 3G (hey, its the same price as the blackjack!) So, I guess this time next month, Ill have internet on my cell. I just wish that MicroSD card would come out

Thanks for your help sed8ed, and it would still be great to find a good solution with this...

-Hagie92

Guest Sed8ed
yeah thanks sed8ed, I saw that on some other post, but it worries me that their may not be enough space inside to fit that thing in there! haha, also, I like that idea so you wouldnt have to solder, but you would have a little flexible thing coming out of the phone to fit in the microSD jack! :D

I dont believe these wifi cards have any user-usable memory. :(

And also, I'm pretty worried about those drivers, I could just imagine me paying that money and it not working! haha, just my luck.

Kinda off subject, but even though i LOVE my blackjack 2...i am about 99.9% sure that i'm gonna sell it for the iPhone 3G (hey, its the same price as the blackjack!) So, I guess this time next month, Ill have internet on my cell. I just wish that MicroSD card would come out

Thanks for your help sed8ed, and it would still be great to find a good solution with this...

-Hagie92

Yeah the iPhone 3G is looking good......unfortunately I think the Australian telco's are going to ask for kidney donations in order to get one. I cant get one until I know it will share an internet connection over bluetooth with my provider...Once confirmed I am also probably going to jump onboard and get myslef a dirty 24 month contract...

I love the BJII like no other phone previously..(well I did love my AT&T 8525 but not as much) and the BJII has proven to be one of the most stable....only my old N73 Nokia came in a close second/third....

My main gripe with the iPhone 3G is I want dedicated Sat Nav with Voice/Turn by Turn instructions.....I also want A-GPS turned off and standalone GPS on!! Will have to see what those nifty developers push out for the future and keep an eye on the pricing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SmellsFeeshy

For any of you guys that have taken the phone apart:

Can you comment on how difficult it would be (or might be) to replace the screen/lens (the plastic that protects the LCD)? Is it glued on pretty tightly or does it look like it would pop off easily? I need to replace mine because its cracked but am worried about possibly breaking the case when I try to take the lens out.

Guest hagie92

I believe you would be able to get it out pretty easily. It probably is glued, but maybe the new lens would come with some adhesive on the back?

hope it helps!

hagie92

• 2 weeks later...
Guest konker
HA...the same thing happened to me!! nothing but crickets and tumble weeds.

An adapter has been produced and can be purchased..

I actually have an invoice here for the product including price and shipping but the adapter is for SD cards to micro SD.

Basically it solves soldering anything at all but as a result you have to pay!!! Thing with the BJII is the chipset is said to be SDIO compatible yet there's nothing around to slot and prove it....

If we could some way marry a spectec donated card from a user and try and get the adapter as a review unit we could be on to something.....

The whole thing would cost me about $100+ USD to just try out....and there are no guarantees, we would most likely need a driver of some sort ripped and ported from another device...but then still no guarantees it would work. Unless we physically try it will always be a "what if" situation. I dont have the cash atm as I am saving for an MSI Wind UMPC due in a few weeks.......

Here's the adapter:

http://www.ameri-rack.com/APA-TFC1m.html

I could easily get that inside the BJII neatly and professionally....Question is do the spectec wifi cards have any memory onboard?

Drivers for the card:

http://www.spectec.com.tw/Download.htm#wlan

Windows Mobile 6 listed...doesn't say anything about standard edition.

So there it is......

Hi Sed8ed!

I'm exploring something like this for my HTC Startrek (Cingular 31xx) running WM6.1 Std.

According to spec sheet, the microSD slot is SDIO capable.

I've also committed to a Spectec SDW-822 MiniSD WLAN card.

Have you have any success with the mod & drivers?

Since all the pictures I've seen of microSD to miniSD adapters are passive w/o any I/Os incorporated, I would assume it's very plausible to solder wires from the mobo of the device directly to the pins on the miniSD WLAN card & have it tucked away in the chasis.

A question to ponder...can the microSD memory card sit in the microSD slot while the SDIO miniSD WLAN card is soldered to the mobo & have both be accessible with the same bus? I'll need to use both at the same time.

Please advise me on that.

Thanks!

Konker

Guest hagan92

I dont think this would be possible because you would have 2 cards using one port. Of course this hasn't been tested, but it would be like trying to read 2 CD's with one CD player. It would be easy to solder the thing inside the device, but the best possibility is to have a incorporated hardware switch that could just turn the WIFI card off so you could then just use the microSD slot and not have both running at the same time. Also, Spectec isn't a company very notable about their service or driver support, and I don't even know if their drivers would work with WM 6 or 6.1 standard. (I think they were made for the Professional Edition, WM 2003 edtion, that is... :D) Now, I do think it would be possible to get it working, even if you had to write a driver for the card, but as far as plausible or probable, I don't know.

Hope it helps,

hagie92