What to do with my new Vario III?

Guest fraparty

Guest fraparty

Hi guys,

Newbie here, just got my brand new Vario III from T-mobile, so it is a blank canvas!

I've also brought an 8GB SDHC card for it as well.

Here are the details:

CE OS 5.2.1620 (Build 18125.0.4.2)

ROM Version: 1.56.110.4

ROM Date: 09/01/07

Radio Version: 1.27.12.32

Protocol Version: 22.45.88.07H

I've been reading the posts about 'cooked ROMS' and would love to get 6.1 on there asap (not knowing when T-mobile will release theirs)

The only problem i've got is i'm happy with the layout (T-mobile branded) of it as it is and if i add a cooked ROM will i lose that? What does the layout of the 'cooked Rom' (HTC branded) look like, are there screenshots around?

Also with TLR's latest ROM some people are finding it buggy so i would probably go for his previous one released in March.

What about getting the original T-mobile ROM back? I can't find any posts on how to do that, just in case i don't like the new ROM or i need to send the phone back to T-mobile.

Lastly, backing up and restoring. I lost all my SMS messages when i upgraded the ROM on my Vario I even though i used SPB Backup. The restore didn't work :D

What is the best program for backup and will it owrk with bakups between 6.0 and 6.1?

All help will be much appreciated!

Guest brandall

Dont know about the t-mobile layout, but there's so much you can tweak on the today screens and themes etc that I'm sure you'll end up finding a setup your prefer. Search a thread for 'post your today theme' or something similar and some are wicked.

To get you started is a list of Freeware I just listed in another post:

PocketCM (finger friendly contact application)

Ultimate Launch (endless trial but 'not registered' appears in the screen corners after a while)

S2U2 - (animated slide to unlock with many added features)

Thumbcal (finger friendly calendar application)

Batti 2.2 (battery status plugin)

Total Commander (explorer, registry editor and zip etc)

DivX Player (Plays a range of media files that others wont)

Dynamo (Alternative visual task manager)

PIM Backup (File back up app)

Pocketscreen (screen shots!)

Clear Temp

Calendar+ (today plugin)

WeatherPanel (today plugin)

WOW HD (Really enhances sound through the wired headset)

A search on here, XDA or google should find them all for you.

PIM Backup worked fine for me between ROMS. As far as which ROM goes, that's a tough one - I went for dutty's 6.1 from April in the end - it's been tested to death and any problems I had were found in a search within the ROM forum. I have no issues with it at all and it funs fast.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=388947

There are posts around about backing up your original ROM or alternatively searching for it after you brick your phone should work!

Good luck!

Guest fraparty

Thanks for the fast (and concise!) reply Brandall.

That's a brilliant list, i'll check out PIM backup but i also know there's a Sprite backup. PIM seems to be a freeware app?

If Dutty's been been tested to death then i might go for that one :D)

I'll have a search for backing up my existing ROM (and hopefully in there it will tell me how to restore it as well)

Guest psionandy
Thanks for the fast (and concise!) reply Brandall.

That's a brilliant list, i'll check out PIM backup but i also know there's a Sprite backup. PIM seems to be a freeware app?

If Dutty's been been tested to death then i might go for that one :()

I'll have a search for backing up my existing ROM (and hopefully in there it will tell me how to restore it as well)

Sprite backup comes on the CD from T-Mobile... Enjoy :D