T-Mobile to turn on HSUPA

Guest FlangeArtist

Guest FlangeArtist

T-Mobile will on Tuesday turn on its fast uplink mobile broadband service, claiming it is the first UK operator to do so on a nationwide basis.

High-speed downlink packet access (HSDPA), also known as 'super-3G', is already commonly rolled out across the UK, but its counterpart — high-speed uplink packet access (HSUPA) — has only recently been appearing, and on a limited basis. HSUPA will be crucial for those who want to upload content to the web from their phones or laptops, rather than simply downloading it.

T-Mobile UK chief executive Jim Hyde said on Monday that the operator was addressing "the growing passion for sharing photos and videos on social-networking sites". T-Mobile has also upgraded its HSDPA speed to a theoretical maximum of 7.2Mbps, or up to 4.5Mbps in the real world. The HSUPA link promises uplink speeds of up to 1.4Mbps.

[Edit by Paul (MVP) for News]

As far as I know, the Diamond is currently the only device to support HSUPA... however it will be interesting to hear who is the first on the site to report HSUPA upload speeds! Come over and discuss the news on Mobiholics!

P

Via: ZDNet UK

Guest FlangeArtist
T-Mobile will on Tuesday turn on its fast uplink mobile broadband service, claiming it is the first UK operator to do so on a nationwide basis.

High-speed downlink packet access (HSDPA), also known as 'super-3G', is already commonly rolled out across the UK, but its counterpart — high-speed uplink packet access (HSUPA) — has only recently been appearing, and on a limited basis. HSUPA will be crucial for those who want to upload content to the web from their phones or laptops, rather than simply downloading it.

T-Mobile UK chief executive Jim Hyde said on Monday that the operator was addressing "the growing passion for sharing photos and videos on social-networking sites". T-Mobile has also upgraded its HSDPA speed to a theoretical maximum of 7.2Mbps, or up to 4.5Mbps in the real world. The HSUPA link promises uplink speeds of up to 1.4Mbps.

[Edit by Paul (MVP) for News]

As far as I know, the Diamond is currently the only device to support HSUPA... however it will be interesting to hear who is the first on the site to report HSUPA upload speeds! Come over and discuss the news on Mobiholics!

P

Anyone connected via HSUPA yet? Does anyone know if we need to enable anything, get T-Mobile to do something to our account, etc?

Guest FlangeArtist
Anyone connected via HSUPA yet? Does anyone know if we need to enable anything, get T-Mobile to do something to our account, etc?

Found it myself. In registry go to:

HKLM\Software\HTC\AdvancedNetwork and change the key "SupportHSUPA" from 0 to 1.

Then go to Settings > Connections > Advanced network. You will see that this has changed from a simple tick box, to a full drop down. In the drop down, set to "Enable HSDPA/HSUPA".

Havent actually connected to any HSUPA yet here in Birmingham UK, but here is hoping that others will!

Guest Monolithix

Hmm, i had that option in my settings already. Enabled it and tethering stopped working! I could browse perfectly ok on the device though. Odd!

Guest bugeyes

Hsdpa ??? Hsupa?????? i'd be happy if i could just get bog standard 3G in Kettering (UK) if i lived in the highlands i could accept it but the flat east midlands and still no 3g coverage at home is pitifull! come on T mob i'm sure its just a blip............................................. :D

Guest Fleabag

The increase to 7.2 is currently only arround the M25 area, expansion accross the UK is to take place over the summer.

The date for enabling HSUPA is no co-incidence, Monday is when the Compact IV will be released.

Guest FlangeArtist
Hsdpa ??? Hsupa?????? i'd be happy if i could just get bog standard 3G in Kettering (UK) if i lived in the highlands i could accept it but the flat east midlands and still no 3g coverage at home is pitifull! come on T mob i'm sure its just a blip............................................. :D

Come on over to the West Midlands...much better :-) (and 3G is better along with HSDPA)

Guest rickwookie
As far as I know, the Diamond is currently the only device to support HSUPA... however it will be interesting to hear who is the first on the site to report HSUPA upload speeds!

From the specs for the Touch Diamond on the HTC website (http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=46286):

Up to 384 kbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds

Doesn't read like HSUPA.

However the Touch Pro specs (http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=49524):

Up to 2 Mbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds.

So maybe you'll need a Touch Pro to get the fast upload speeds.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.