ActiveSync works after reboot, then stops

Guest Anthony Hall

Guest Anthony Hall

Hi all

I have a Dopod 838 Pro (same hardware as a HTC Hermes) running the original Windows Mobile 5. I have been happily using Direct Push from our work Exchange 2003 server to get my mail via 3G for 12 months, but now it has suddenly stopped working.

After a reboot of the phone I receive mail (and contacts, calendar, etc) for a few minutes, then it stops. The device thinks it is still synchronised, with a last attempt time the same as its last sync time. No errors are displayed on the device or on the server Event logs. The phone is set to receive items "as items arrive" both peak and off peak. Once the initial few minutes are past, I cannot do a manual sync either - tapping Sync shows the bar graph at the bottom of the screen, but it never progresses, and no messages appear. If I reboot the phone again, it will download mail, but stop syncing again after a few minutes.

To my knowledge nothing has changed on the server lately. I have the only device using ActiveSync on the network so I can't compare notes with anyone else.

However, this problem occured once I returned from a trip overseas. While I was away, I set the phone to only download during peak periods, and only use the settings when not roaming. I have since reset these settings when I returned, but email hasn't worked since.

I have tried deleting the server settings on the phone and re entering them. Again, the phone downloaded all my data at first, then stopped syncing again.

I have a backup of the phone from a few months ago which I could restore but I'd like to try other options first.

Any thoughts?

Anthony Hall

Guest Anthony Hall
I suspect the Internet settings might have changed. Is it set to "Work connection" or Internet?

Hi tsutton

Thanks for the suggestion. Which spot in the settings were you thinking of? The "network card" is set to Internet, though I think this refers to the WiFi. There doesn't seem to be an equivilent for the cellular line. However, I can use the 3G connection to connect IE or AvantGo to the internet etc, and can continue browsing even after the sync has stopped working.

Anthony