Vario III 3G Connection Dead Again - Related to being in places with Low/No Signal?

Guest gazbert

Guest gazbert

Well my Vario III's 3G connection has just died again. GSM works fine but 3G just dies when trying to get on the internet.

What interests me is that the circumstances for this happening are identical. This happened to me first, shortly after getting my Vario III. I was away from home for a week in a place that had really bad phone signal. On returning home, 3G was permanently dead, and with my phone in 3G mode it was draining a full battery in less than 8 hours.

After getting a replacement handset everything was fixed. Months of happy use ensued in places with decent phone reception.

Now I've just got back from a week in Cornwall. Mullion is a lovely place, but phone reception is terrible. Anyway, after a week of little or no phone signal (3G or otherwise) my 3G is now dead again. Once again the battery is drained in 8 hours or less if I leave 3G on.

I do wonder if the lack of 3G signal for so long has damaged the phone in some way? I noticed the phone getting very warm sometimes when I was down in Cornwall.

My workmates Vario III is fine. His SIM in mine doesn't do 3G. My SIM in his does do 3G. So clearly not a network issue. Somehow, being without a 3G signal for a week has killed my phone!

It still works fine on GSM, but it's damn annoying.

Anyone else experienced similar?

Guest chucky.egg
I do wonder if the lack of 3G signal for so long has damaged the phone in some way?

Highly unlikely I think. I can't see how physical damage could be done.

I noticed the phone getting very warm sometimes when I was down in Cornwall

I suspect you carried the phone with you more while you were away - I find the temp of my Kaiser goes up just from being in my pocket more.

I also had an issue where, if I've lost a data connection (I only get GPRS where I live), it won't recover it properly and ActiveSync says "Waiting for network". That state drains the battery quickly - presumably it's repeatedly trying to connect. Killing ActiveSync and/or the data connection forces it to re-establish.

I had this issue on my Blackjack (poor battery in the first place) and in the end had to change devices.

Do you actually reset your device from time to time?

I power mine off overnight, but I know a lot of people now don't reset for days on end.

Guest gazbert
Highly unlikely I think. I can't see how physical damage could be done.

I suspect you carried the phone with you more while you were away - I find the temp of my Kaiser goes up just from being in my pocket more.

I also had an issue where, if I've lost a data connection (I only get GPRS where I live), it won't recover it properly and ActiveSync says "Waiting for network". That state drains the battery quickly - presumably it's repeatedly trying to connect. Killing ActiveSync and/or the data connection forces it to re-establish.

I had this issue on my Blackjack (poor battery in the first place) and in the end had to change devices.

Do you actually reset your device from time to time?

I power mine off overnight, but I know a lot of people now don't reset for days on end.

I have my phone on a belt clip at all times, at home or away. It's only ever gotten warm on the two occasions my 3G connection has died.

I tend not to reset very often. But doubt that's related since it's worked for months in that same way. I've reset frequently since it started playing up again. But it doesn't help.