Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest man_bites_dog

Hi All.

I've been experiencing something a little weird.

I've had OSX installed on my Advent for almost a month now without any major problems. However, I've been experiencing new weirdness: my disappearing trackpad. It will be working fine and then suddenly, I'll lose the mouse pointer completely and then lose all control of the mouse. I then have to reboot to get it back.

Anyone else experience this?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Advent 4211, 2 gigs RAM, Dell 1390 Wifi, Parallels running XP Pro

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Has anyone had success using a 3G phone over USB or bluetooth as a data modem?

Or dual-booting XP and OSX?

Yeah I had been using a Huawei E160G Stick USB Modem, supplied by "3" network. It was working fine.

Additionally I have managed to pair my HTC TyTN II using bluetooth PAN for Internet access too.

Guest Sed8ed

I have no probs with dual boot and no problems with BT PAN with a Samsung BJII. I will be getting rid of the dual boot soon as I have basically no use for Windows with OSX getting the battery life it does with coolbook. Office 2008 for Mac replaces the need for Office 2003 in Windows. There's nothing left in Windows I need and if I do I'll install it virtually.

As I said before about BT, it works very well and reliably now. I had issues with BT in the beginning but there are a few posted workarounds for getting it to work properly. Since removing the BT connection from Networking preferences and leaving only BT Pan it never flakes out. It would probably leave issues for other devices though but I dont use any other BT function so dont need the BT connection part. Initially I also needed to delete a previous pairing with the phone from BT preferences but removing BT Connection has fixed it entirely and I can leave the previous pairing and reconnect every time without issue.

Here's the USB device I ordered. Not cheap but I have had a few hackintosh machines and no doubt will need something like this when I try OSX on another unit...

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/...em/SP-USB-MIC-1

Problem with this device is it's not tested by anyone with a Wind and needs a skype plugin installed to drive it according to the website...I hope I dont need to install anything for it to work with iChat....I consider myself to be taking one for the team on this one, it says mac supported but I wont know to what extent until it arrives.

There's also the turtle beach device but it's not available worldwide from their site (google: turtle beach USB sound). I didnt know where else to get it from, it's white and would have looked pretty slick hanging out of the Wind (mines pearl white). It also has a dedicated volume control button for headphones which would have been handy for simple adjustment without disturbing the Wind as it does it's thing (like playing music or a movie):

http://www.TurtleBeach.com/products/amigo/home.aspx

Although it states not supported by OSX on the site a user at msiwind.net has tested one and it works flawlessly. I tried to find one on Ebay but nothing was listed....

Until sound is fully working (if at all) this is the all in one solution for headphones/MIC thats small enough to not be a hinderance and can be plugged in when needed in seconds. The thought of using a BT headset or some form of USB headphones made me shiver!! Built in MIC was a must have as I love ichat and wearing something while chatting sorta kills the whole experience for me, each to their own.

Out of all the times I rebooted I've probably lost the battery icon 4 times. It's a small quibble but not one that breaks the experience, a reboot brings it back 99% of the time. I must say thanks to Paul for all the info and the great tutorial...If you have ever set up a hackintosh before youll know that it's trial and error to get certain things working properly and this includes testing kernels, .kexts, and finding solutions to quibbles before you settle on a a mix of what does and doesnt work. A1 effort on his behalf ( and the Kalyway distro)

Hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I do, truly the best hackintosh I've had out of 4 laptops, it has what I need to be truly portable on a non Apple device.

Guest fishnchips
Thanks for your response, but where and how am i able to install the drivers ? is it during the kalyway install ?

Both are supported out of the box with OS X without any additional drivers.

I have no problem at all connecting my Huawei e220 hsdpa usb modem and also Treo 750v using Bluetooth PAN.

For E220, there's driver for it in Huawei site, and for Treo BT PAN is out of the box bluetooth connection :D

And for wireless, i ripped of my mini c2d airport extreme which works flawlessly, so far, my Wind is almost a complete Mac (wanna be), except for sound - which now I use Siberia USB sound 7.1.

Edited by asae

Guest elbenski
the machine goes into a loop back to keyboard selection upon selection continue button....

Paul, Others: Thanks for the top notch tech support so far.

I too am getting this error.

I tried setting the screen rez to 640x480 at the command line (without success) and booting that way (same result)

I have the Hackingtosh Broadcom 1490 card installed. Followed instructions as per original guide .. but still nada.

Anyone?

Guest elbenski

Well. Good-ish progress. Got past the annoying issue of not being able to get the setup working - I ended up installing the Realtek R1000 Driver as suggested. However I do have an issue with wireless. I picked up the Hackintosh Broadcom 1490 card, but try as I might, my dear Windbook will not recognize it. It is seated correctly (checked twice) and the standoff is not fouling it (covered with a sticker and a layer of black insulating tape). I did note that in Paul's insutrctions he suggests to UNCHECK the wireless boxes (which I duly did)... Is the Mac not recognizing the card because it doesn't have the drivers natively installed?

Your creative technical suggestions gratefully requested.

ps: how do you get the trackpad to scroll ala Touchpoint?

Guest jbswinkels

Still need another wifi card when you wanne install OS X and using a wireless connection on a Wind? Is there any change to find a driver that supports the default card in the future?

What about the need to buy a licence, I have to buy a seperate Leopard licence?

Edited by jbswinkels

Guest MickeyMoo
Still need another wifi card when you wanne install OS X and using a wireless connection on a Wind? Is there any change to find a driver that supports the default card in the future?

What about the need to buy a licence, I have to buy a seperate Leopard licence?

Technically - you're not supposed to install OSX on anything but an Apple built computer per the OSX EULA, but Leopard (and all previous OSX versions) does not employ any kind of copy protection/serial number/product activation - so it's a judgement call on your part. Sucks about the wireless card but $20 is a pretty reasonable price for a card that will be recognized by both Windows and Mac OS.

Guest beergut
Paul.

Everything works fine until I install the kext's. Then on reboot, it gets stuck on the bluescreen - how do I fix this? I've tried 4 times! I'm going crazy. When I try to boot in safe mode it does the same. How can I boot and remove the kexts to see which one is causing the problems? Please help I'm going mad!

Hi, can anyone help me ? I have installed everything as Paul described, and I ran into the same problem as describe by man_bites_dog.

Can you any give me some ideas ? What do I need to do ? I think the framebuffer.kext and GMA950.kext is causing problems.

Please help.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Ref TouchPad scrolling.

I don't think you can do it as standard, although it's one thing I miss. On one wiki, for OSX on the WIND, there is info about making it work on the medion, but Im on the hackintosh as the moment not my main pc so dont have the link.

however I havent tried it.

Guest machead

Hi there, I have been having issues when I connect to my Dell 24" monitor. I get random extended desktop and mirror mode. Is there a way to fix it to extended desktop mode? Otherwise, my Wind is rock solid. Thank you Paul for the great instructions. :D

Guest dtizzle
SOLD MY ADVENT!

Luckily the replacement 6 cell US spec black Wind arrived today :D

P

where did you buy from? newegg?

any differences between it and the advent in terms of getting osx up?

Guest dtizzle
SOLD MY ADVENT!

P

where did you buy from? newegg?

any differences between it and the advent in terms of getting osx up?

SOLD MY ADVENT!

P

Paul,

Have you upgraded the RAM?....Removing the warrenty sticker

Ive had anotHer stick of ram here for weeks for my wind but dont fancy voiding the warrenty.

Ive contatced MSI uk a few times but they keep telling me it will void the warrenty.

Any ideas Paul if this is true in the UK?

Thanks

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul,

Have you upgraded the RAM?....Removing the warrenty sticker

Ive had anotHer stick of ram here for weeks for my wind but dont fancy voiding the warrenty.

Ive contatced MSI uk a few times but they keep telling me it will void the warrenty.

Any ideas Paul if this is true in the UK?

Thanks

I have, I wanted to upgrade the HDD too.

I honestly don't see how upgrading the RAM could void the warranty, and if I do have to make a warranty claim you can be damn sure i'd fight my corner, it's ridiculous!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
What are the actual differences with the Wind ??? Just a different keyboard layout, and the option of a 6 Cell battery?

Glossy lid, MSI badging (obviously), different layout (due to buying from US, works better with OSX), 6 cell battery (6 cell option will come to UK too), different touchpad (looks the same, but not synaptics - someone else. Gives 'touch corners to scroll' functionality in OSX).

Oh, and it has a pesky warranty sticker on the bottom :D

P