Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest garethj7

Just like to say first of all thanks to Paul for this awesome tutorial im absolutely made up with this bought an advent 4211 for uni so i dont have to take my MBP in with me incase it gets broken.

Ive installed leopard perfect expect for one little problem that i hope someone can help me with is the charging time of the battery?

Ive fully charged it before installing leopard and followed the tutorial exactly and I let the battery fully run out for the first cycle which took about 2 hours but when i start charging it again it says its gonna take between 10 - 9 hours!!!!

Ive installed the battery kext again an even shut down the laptop an removed the battery for a while.

if anyone could help that would be great

Thanks

Guest stefanomainardi

Hi to all, and many thanks to Paul for the fantastic guide.

I've buyed a Msi Wind U100 Black, one week ago, with the new sentelic touchpad and the ultimate firmware 1.0.6 (i know the Msi has released the 1.0.7). I've installed Leopad following the Paul's guide and i've replaced the internal wifi card with the Dell 1390, and is all ok.

Today i've download, from Software Update all the updates from Apple included the "Airport offical update", and then my wifi range is drastically reduced, now i can connect to wifi only at 1 or 2 meters from wifi router. Anyone has got the same problem? Can i resolve in a some way?

Many thanks.

Edited by stefanomainardi

Guest joelones

hey paul,

great work by the way!

trying to get coolbook running. i have version 2.8 semi-working and a us wind here. it detects the defaults speeds but does not throttle at all. stays at the default 1596Mhz speed all the time. installed osx via your excellent guide and installed your driver pack after the kalyway 10.5.2 install and updates. noticed that some people installed the my_kexts.zip pack from here. installed it. now i get

ioreg -l | grep prod

| "product-name" = <"MacBook2,1">

should be a supported mac now. any thoughts here?

thanks

Edited by joelones

Guest garethj7

Can somebody please help me!!!

my dell broadcom 1490 card was delievered an for the life of me i cant get it to work,

Ive installed the card an removed the part that needs to be ive connected the aerials in different ways (because i didnt know which side they went on) i have had the screw tight and loose.

When loading up i press fn+F11, ive tried it with just the wifi an the bluetooth an wifi switched on and i just cannot get the card to switch on when i click turn on airport it just wont work just keeps saying airport is off.

If anyone could help i would be really grateful.

Thanks

Guest bingggo
Ive installed the card an removed the part that needs to be ive connected the aerials in different ways (because i didnt know which side they went on) i have had the screw tight and loose.

Have you tried a little electrical insulating tape to stop the card shorting out on the screw mount? I hear that's an issue.

Guest garethj7
Have you tried a little electrical insulating tape to stop the card shorting out on the screw mount? I hear that's an issue.

yea ive removed it i can get the airport to show up now for some reason but now i cant see any networks at all?

any one able to help with this please?

Thanks to this guide, the install went perfectly. Many thanks Paul!

I installed off a USB key instead of getting an external DVD drive

User "six"'s post on MSIWind.net explains how to create the bootable USB key

http://forums.msiwind.net/mac-f32/install-...ve-t843-20.html

I'm also experiencing VERY long recharge times for the battery. OSX estimates 10 hours on an empty battery and it takes that long too. I've discovered that I can't let the machine sleep or even have a screen saver otherwise the battery will not charge...

Any other users experiencing this problem, so far reported by garethj7 and now myself.

It's so bad that it's making me consider xp again....

Can anyone help????

Thanks.

edit: found the solution to the charging problem - bad battery, full details here

http://www.modaco.com/content/asus-eee-pc-...arging-problem/

Edited by Velnor

Guest samg2008

Hey guys, my first post here so go easy on me.

Basically i've followed the install guide, but now when my machine is booting up to run after the installation, I get stuck in a loop at the do you already own a mac screen. Everytime I click continue the welcome screen comes back. Ive tried all the other options and im still stuck.

If anyone could help me out id be really grateful. Thanks again guys.

Sam

Hey guys, my first post here so go easy on me.

Basically i've followed the install guide, but now when my machine is booting up to run after the installation, I get stuck in a loop at the do you already own a mac screen. Everytime I click continue the welcome screen comes back. Ive tried all the other options and im still stuck.

If anyone could help me out id be really grateful. Thanks again guys.

Sam

I had the same problem, read through the comments sam and you'll see the solution. Basically you've not changed the wireless card over yet, so you need to plug in your wired network card and install the appropriate network driver. I'm afraid you'll need to start over too...

Guest dtizzle

question that hasn't come up in the thread yet...

does the fact that in system profiler the speed of my memory is 0 MHz slow my machine down artificially. i mean its obviously not actually operating at 0, because my memory works, but is it working at 667MHz or some minimal default value?

also - totally unrelated - as i haven't seen a solution to the headphone out issue on other boards, does anyone have a suggestion for good usb (or even better bluetooth {stereo is a must}) headphones?

Guest boatdrinks

I have successfully completed the installation. Let me also add my utmost thanks to Paul and everyone here.

So the remaining issue for me is the ethernet-sleep issue.

I installed the sleepwatcher software as well as the sleepwatcher startup piece. I then went in and typed/copied the code from Paul into the terminal.

However, the problem remains. Could someone give me a bit of help with this? I can get the ethernet to regain a connection if I go in and change from DHCP to BOOTP and then Back to DHCP. Perhaps that is what I am suppose to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest haddockichi

Just been through the Dell wifi card, 250gb sata drive and 2gb upgrades on my Advent 4211b, and there is one bit of knowledge I've to share, and that is you should use the fastest memory you can get - I initially got one of those cheap PC World generic 4300 memory SODIMMs and it caused artifacts. One of which was reproduceable - the top bar of System Preferences would disappear.

Because the graphics memory is taken from the RAM, it'll start showing up as artifacts on screen if there is anything wrong with the RAM or the speeds are mismatched, I guess.

I now have a brilliant mac :D

Guest samg2008
I had the same problem, read through the comments sam and you'll see the solution. Basically you've not changed the wireless card over yet, so you need to plug in your wired network card and install the appropriate network driver. I'm afraid you'll need to start over too...

Sorted the looping thing. What i did was press any key at the boot options screen at startup, then type '-s'

Press enter, let it do its thing, then typed

<code>/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root  <- Type any password you want

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot</code>

press enter after each line. Worked beautiful. didnt have to re-install or anything. My problems now are that

the screen resoltion changes every time i boot and i have to re-install the driver thing, and no audio out

headphones (no driver still) and wifi (no driver). Any ideas as to any of these guys?

Thanks

Guest samg2008

Also just realized that most changes arn't saved after shutdown. If I change the name of a folder, its back to what it was called before after restart. Any ideas?

Thanks

Guest elalitte
also - totally unrelated - as i haven't seen a solution to the headphone out issue on other boards, does anyone have a suggestion for good usb (or even better bluetooth {stereo is a must}) headphones?

I bought a logitech premium notebook headset.

The good thing is that it comes with a usb to jack adapter which enables you to use any normal headset with your machine. And I think you can find this kind of adapter alone for a cheaper price.

Also, I have a problem when I try to put my medion on a projector. The screen scrambles because of the mirroring screen bug, but I'm not able to use the fn+f3 or fn+f2 keys to enable it. Any idea on how to make this work ?

I tried to boot so leopard recognizes the projector but the boot stops after the apple logo.

Guest bingggo

Hi,

In installing the Dell DW1490 and reassembling the case, the case doesn't seem quite properly flush against the right side. I found it pretty tricky to get it to seat and get all the ports looking correctly flush/through their holes, and still don't think I've got it right. Am I missing something there...? Should I start by placing the case against the bottom, left, right, top, for example :D

Cheers!

B

Edited by bingggo

Hi,

In installing the Dell DW1490 and reassembling the case, the case doesn't seem quite properly flush against the right side. I found it pretty tricky to get it to seat and get all the ports looking correctly flush/through their holes, and still don't think I've got it right. Am I missing something there...? Should I start by placing the case against the bottom, left, right, top, for example :D

Cheers!

B

Use a screwdriver to pop the usb ports into place, the mobo flexes and it needs some help to get it aligned. You start by aligning the edge with the power connector and vents, it takes a bit of practice, also make sure there's nothing fouling it around the hinge area.

Guest WearTheFoxHat
question that hasn't come up in the thread yet...

does the fact that in system profiler the speed of my memory is 0 MHz slow my machine down artificially. i mean its obviously not actually operating at 0, because my memory works, but is it working at 667MHz or some minimal default value?

Paul posted a fix for this on a mac forum. I tried the fix and it didn't work, so I didn't bother pursuing it. However like yourself, I'm not sure if it's purely cosmetic or affects the device. From using the machine a lot, I'd hazard a guess that it's purely cosmetic.

Guest dtizzle

a note on mirror display - its a killer for my machine as well, which is fine because i like the screen-spanning. i was experimenting for a bit and found that when i switch to mirror mode and everything goes crazy it is very hard to get back to normal. to do this i had to constantly unplug/plug in the monitor and manage to open the menu bar icon for displays and switch mirroring off. because both screens become so garbled in mirror mode this was a little bit difficult.

hope that helps.

also - elalitte - i am going to checkout the logitech set right now. i was eyeing the motorola dj style bluetooth here

http://www.bestcellaccessories.com/motorol..._source=froogle

Guest elalitte
a note on mirror display - its a killer for my machine as well, which is fine because i like the screen-spanning. i was experimenting for a bit and found that when i switch to mirror mode and everything goes crazy it is very hard to get back to normal. to do this i had to constantly unplug/plug in the monitor and manage to open the menu bar icon for displays and switch mirroring off. because both screens become so garbled in mirror mode this was a little bit difficult.

hope that helps.

I managed with this. I used switchres, assign a key for the menu bar, put switchres on the left of the menu.

When you get scrambled, just push the key you assigned to the menu bar, you'll get in the switchres menu, hit "-" key so that you go to the "go back to the best resolution", and you've got your screen back, then you can switch to multiple screens.

Anyway, this couldn't help me with the projector :D

Most of the time when I plug the projector, it freezes the machine. It only worked once in 800*600.

also - elalitte - i am going to checkout the logitech set right now. i was eyeing the motorola dj style bluetooth here

http://www.bestcellaccessories.com/motorol..._source=froogle

Maybe you can just get the jack to usb adapter and use your preferate headset.

Guest artypete
I managed with this. I used switchres, assign a key for the menu bar, put switchres on the left of the menu.

When you get scrambled, just push the key you assigned to the menu bar, you'll get in the switchres menu, hit "-" key so that you go to the "go back to the best resolution", and you've got your screen back, then you can switch to multiple screens.

Anyway, this couldn't help me with the projector :(

Most of the time when I plug the projector, it freezes the machine. It only worked once in 800*600.

Maybe you can just get the jack to usb adapter and use your preferate headset.

Re Monitor crashing problems.

I find that my Advent crashes EVERY time I plug in my Dell 17" display... :D

However, I've found that if the machine is put to sleep, then plug the monitor in, wake up, then the Advent works 100% every time. It's a slight pain, but it works well.

When I've got the second monitor plugged in, finder auto reconfigures my desktop and the Dell becomes my main screen with little one becoming the secondary display. :D

I've also got a simple little soundcard fix for the headphone & mic problem - got a tiny USB dongle shipped from China all inclusive for £1.94! a bargain! :angry:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-to-Mic-Speak...1742.m153.l1262

Guest William B

First post from a newbie computer guy, so this question may sound a bit dumb, I am looking at buying a Wind U100 and trying to follow Paul's installation guide. As I only have a slow dial up internet connection , am I right in thinking that its going to be impossible for me to download the Kalyway 10.5.2 from the internet , is there another way I can get the Kalyway 10.5.2 ?

Thanks - William

Hey Paul Gr8 work im just about to install now ;)

very quick question, it would be gr8 if yourself or anybody on this forum could tell me the answer:)

How Much Hard Drive Space Does The Install Of the kelyway 10.5.2 plus the 10.5.3 and 10.5.4 update take up all together?

I just need to know so i know how much to partition my hard drive =]

Im hoping to duel boot windows vista with Mac OS X on the standard 80 GB Hard Drive.

Many Thanks

Ash