Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi quick question, why would you want to do this on a portable device, you have lost the ability of some of the hardware you have paid for by doing this, (and a wi-fi dongle sticking out to boot) as it stands you are not able to do anything you couldn't do on windows XP, surely native XP would work better and be more efficient than OS X on a machine like this.

good job though don't get me wrong!

The WiFi swap is internal.

Native XP isn't more efficient in my experience? I still have the original XP hard disk untouched, OSX feels snappier on it for me! Besides, I work in OSX every day on my main machine, and want to have that on my portable too. Also, I have made a significant investment in OSX software that I like to realise on my mobile machine, and an even more significant time investment in learning the best ways to use the toolset I have for doing my job.

I like it :D

P

Guest Cowboy_X
926 on Geekbench!

So nifty... that's pretty close to the late-model Powerbook G4's, just a skosh slower than the early iMac G5's. Just about the performance level I was hoping for.

Does it seem handle "Quartz" okay? And is the Dell Wifi board recognized by the normal Apple "Airport" Wifi driver, or are you using one of those third-party drivers?

I think you've just saved me from dropping a pile of cash on a $2000 Macbook Air... until the second revs come out next year, anyway

Guest Paul (MVP)
Does it seem handle "Quartz" okay? And is the Dell Wifi board recognized by the normal Apple "Airport" Wifi driver, or are you using one of those third-party drivers?

I think you've just saved me from dropping a pile of cash on a $2000 Macbook Air... until the second revs come out next year, anyway

Quartz seems fine, yes, the dell board I have appears as an Airport with no 3rd party drivers.

MBA, I know what you mean... I still wish Apple would make a REAL 10" (or even 12"!) device!

P

Guest LunchladyDoris

Awesome job, Paul. Just watched the video and I'm itching to try this out. I loathe PC World but I may have to stoop to giving them money again.

How hard is it to switch out the WiFi card? Is it tricky or is it something a relative hardware newbie would be able to do?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Easier than falling off a log!

Undo screws in bottom of laptop, bottom of case comes off. Locate wifi card, unclick antenna wires (easy), unscrew 1 screw to remove wifi card. Reassembly is the reversal of removal :D

P

Guest Turbo Buttwieners

with regards to

- Headphone port

- Mic port

- Internal mic

do you think that in the future osx drivers would be made for the above components

also many people suggest that os x runs slower on machines not made by apple as the OS is optimised for their hardware alone, would you say that this runs as fast as it would say on a same spec apple machine such as a macbook air? thanks

Guest kinezo
Some random screenshots for you :D

Hit me up in this thread if you have requests for shots of any particular part of the install.

P

Hey Paul. Brilliant guide. I'm in Canada, so I have to sit tight and wait for the Wind to hit us. However, I was wondering if you could post some pics of the wireless card that came with the wind (advent) and pics of your new one that you replaced it with. Very much appreciated! Thanks!

Guest M_Taylor40

I couldn't tell you what the price would be as I ain't even looked wot we selling it for, just been takin it apart lol. It's about 10% off the retial price tho so not much cheaper. You can get them I think for free if you sign up the one of the connect mobile broadband packages, but I have 3GB WnW+ on my Vario 3 and unlimited home broadband so I don't need another lol.

Just as a quick note, the easiet way to take it apart is as paul said, unscrew the screws on the bottom, have the laptop face down on a desk with the vga port facing away from you, now lift the bottom casing up at the side closed to you and slowly click it apart until you get to the vga pport, then just push it upwards to get round the port. to put it back together its the opposite of those instructions.

The machine can only have a additional 1GB RAM, and it takes DDR2 4200/4300 (Might be able to take higher speeds but I never tried it with anymore).

Lol, who put a SSD in one of these?! I wanted to just cos we sell them and I thought it wud be funny but someone actually did it? lol, very nice...

Anyways, better finish off getting ready for work lol, in all day today, yey!

M_Taylor40

Guest Carmelo Ingrao

I have a problem : at first reboot, when the assistant aks "do you already own a mac" i take "do not transfer" and after 1 min the assistant go back to the first screen "welcome" for choosing the region ...

I have followed the tutorial and the video ...

(I have an MSI Wind 100)

Guest geoRG77

I have same problem. Did you uncheck other patches or not? I uncheck all what wasn't written in tutorial, so maybe this is the problem.

Guest Paul (MVP)

This can happen if you don't have the working WiFi I think, try selecting the Realtek 1000 driver in the customize list, and see if this helps.

P

Guest Carmelo Ingrao

yes I have only checked what was writter in the tutorial, all the other things (except French language) were not checked ...

Guest Carmelo Ingrao
This can happen if you don't have the working WiFi I think, try selecting the Realtek 1000 driver in the customize list, and see if this helps.

P

ah ok !

I'm running again the installer to add the Realtek driver.

thanks

if it's not this, do you have any idea ?

Guest Carmelo Ingrao

P

Just finished the new installation with the realtek driver : it's ok !!!

let's go for the driver !

Guest IvanGroznii

Paul -

Thanks for this; my fiancee wants a MacBook Air and this will definitely tide her over until I can afford that kind of money.

Just out of curiosity - what brand / model hard drive did you use to replace the one on the Advent?  Can it handle a 7200 RPM model?

Thanks.

Ivan

Guest Paul (MVP)

I used a 160GB Western Digital, I think it'll take any 2.5" SATA including 7200RPM, I guess that COULD affect battery life tho?

P

Guest IvanGroznii
I used a 160GB Western Digital, I think it'll take any 2.5" SATA including 7200RPM, I guess that COULD affect battery life tho?

P

That begs the next question - I've been looking at the Advent 4211 spec online - it said somewhere that part of the reason why it's so cheap is the battery is less powerful than what you get with the MSI Wind - is there any truth in that?  How well does the battery perform with it now?