Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Weird then :D

When you click the icon in the top bar you can't turn it on there, nor in system preferences -> network no?

P (stumped)

Guest Dogcow
have you tried reseating the wireless card?

Will try after dinner and report back, got the battery back by re-installing the battery kext but it's done that twice now.

Guest nuttyphilt

I don't have an external DVD but I have an 8GB USB key - do you think I could put the Kalaway installer on this and install from the key instead?

Edit:

Or even from a 'regular' external hard drive?

Edited by nuttyphilt

Guest Dogcow

I can't even boot now, blank screen, spinning disk and nothing.

Well re-seated the card again and it boots again but still no Airport card being found, think it might have died?

Edited by Dogcow

Guest bigp2

Not having much luck here.

Got my Advent today, updated the BIOS and webcam in XP - the wireless connection kept dropping every few seconds, but I figured I was replacing the card so no big deal.

Upgraded the RAM and added an Atheros wifi card from an old MacBook Pro. XP really doesn't like this, and can't find a driver. The bootcamp driver disk won't let me install the driver from it.

Rebooted and run the Leopard installer from TPB (using an xbox HD DVD drive as it's the only external drive I have. It gets just past the boot device in Darwin and then I get

CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=1[launchd] clearing CS VALID

and then it just hangs there. iATKOS v4i stops at the same point.

So, anyone got any ideas? Is it my odd choice of external DVD drive? Do I have a lemon Advent?

Phil

Guest bigp2

...now I'm trying to install from a USB flash drive instead, and I'm stuck at the same point. Any help?

Will let it sit for a few mins and then I'll remove the new RAM and wifi and try again.

Not having much luck here.

Got my Advent today, updated the BIOS and webcam in XP - the wireless connection kept dropping every few seconds, but I figured I was replacing the card so no big deal.

Upgraded the RAM and added an Atheros wifi card from an old MacBook Pro. XP really doesn't like this, and can't find a driver. The bootcamp driver disk won't let me install the driver from it.

Rebooted and run the Leopard installer from TPB (using an xbox HD DVD drive as it's the only external drive I have. It gets just past the boot device in Darwin and then I get

CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=1[launchd] clearing CS VALID

and then it just hangs there. iATKOS v4i stops at the same point.

So, anyone got any ideas? Is it my odd choice of external DVD drive? Do I have a lemon Advent?

Phil

Guest angstmann

Dogcow... sorry to hear about the problems you are having. I hope there will be some logical explanation for them and you can sort them out. I have just managed to get hold of the Advent but off on holiday and won't be able to do the installation until I get back. Have to say, I'm feeling pretty nervous about it all at the moment having read about your problems. Good luck anyway. I'll keep an eye on this thread when I can.

Guest Dogcow
Dogcow... sorry to hear about the problems you are having. I hope there will be some logical explanation for them and you can sort them out. I have just managed to get hold of the Advent but off on holiday and won't be able to do the installation until I get back. Have to say, I'm feeling pretty nervous about it all at the moment having read about your problems. Good luck anyway. I'll keep an eye on this thread when I can.

Certainly not been the smooth experience I was hoping for, still you have to expect these kind of problems when your playing with this stuff. I'm going to drop the Windows HD back in tomorrow and see if that detects the 1490, if it doesn't I'll stick the original wifi card in and see if thats recognised. Hopefully this will point to the culprit, either the 1490 or machine itself.

I'm going to persist, when it's working it's a nice machine!

Reading the MSIWind.net forums it seems the culprit may be the unused standoff, I guess when you tighten the screw down it might cause and intermittent short between the standoff and the bottom of the 1490. Hmmm hope it hasn't killed the card permanently, gonna remove the standoff and see!

BINGO... well almost. The unused standoff was indeed touching the resistors on the bottom of the card, I had to remove the standoff with a pair of pliers (bye bye warranty), scary moment. Now the card is recognised but it can't find any networks, guess it may have been damaged, bugger.

Edited by Dogcow

Guest cNote

Anyone have trouble with the battery indicator? My indicator shows up with an 'x' and says no batteries available. When the charger is plugged in, it still has the 'x' in the battry icon and says no batteries available. It's definitely getting a charge as the screen brightens a notch under the charger setting. Also, the charging led comes on at the bottom of the machine.

any help please?

Guest Dogcow
Anyone have trouble with the battery indicator? My indicator shows up with an 'x' and says no batteries available. When the charger is plugged in, it still has the 'x' in the battry icon and says no batteries available. It's definitely getting a charge as the screen brightens a notch under the charger setting. Also, the charging led comes on at the bottom of the machine.

any help please?

Re-install the battery kext with KextHelper, mine seems to forget about it now and again too.

Guest angstmann

I keep hearing the word "standoff" ... call me a newbie, but what exactly is this, and will it affect the installation of my wireless card!? I have bought a 1390 wireless card not a 1490... I read somewhere that this would work fine. Anyone have experience installing the 1390 card? Is it much dofferent to the 1490? Sorry for all the questions!

Guest fishnchips
I keep hearing the word "standoff" ... call me a newbie, but what exactly is this, and will it affect the installation of my wireless card!? I have bought a 1390 wireless card not a 1490... I read somewhere that this would work fine. Anyone have experience installing the 1390 card? Is it much dofferent to the 1490? Sorry for all the questions!

There's an unused standoff or 'screw mount' below the WIFI card which can touch the bottom of WIFI cards that are too think (like the HP 802.11n one I'm using).

Guest fishnchips
Re-install the battery kext with KextHelper, mine seems to forget about it now and again too.

I get this all the time. Caught me out yesterday as well as I forgot it wasn't plugged in.....

Guest angstmann

Thanks fishnchips, I will look out for that when I get round to doing my installation.

Sounds like there are a fair few niggles with this that are emerging... hope I've done the right thing.

Edited by angstmann

Guest Dogcow
Thanks fishnchips, I will look out for that when I get round to doing my installation.

Sounds like there are a fair few niggles with this that are emerging... hope I've done the right thing.

Have to remember that not too many Wind's have shipped yet, once more of the OSx86 community have got there hands on it we should see these niggles ironed out.

Guest angstmann

Yeah. I hope so... and I know its a big hack to get it working in the first place, and I am prepared for that!! It was reading so many positives that convinced me to get one in the first place, so I am just a bit wary :D

Guest slaguru
Even with the glitches it's worth it!

VERY TRUE

The only probs I have are the loss of Kext data when the machne reboots sometimes. The screen and battery have to be 'reset'.

Other than that, its great.

I have XP Pro running with lots of Mods under VMWare on it at the moment for work stuff. Its still not the worse experience I've had running Windows.

Guest Gomff

Does anyone know where I can get an XP driver for a broadcom 1490 PCI express card?

I've tried a couple of drivers from the Dell website, but when the setup procedure starts, it says there's no matching hardware.

I have exactly the same card Paul mentions in his instructions.

Thanks

Geoff

Guest Dogcow

Well my wifi issue took another odd turn tonight. If you remember my apparently dead 1490 came back to life when I removed the middle standoff which was fouling it. However it refused to detect any networks so I figured it was damaged and ordered a new card this morning....

Anyhow whilst fiddling today I also found my Ethernet port doesn't recognise when a cable is plugged in! So thinking it could be some kind of fault with the entire OS X networking software I went through deleting every pref file I could find to do with networking, cleared all caches with Onyx but nothing will fix it. Can't think of anything else to do software wise so I'm going to do a full re-install tomorrow.

Wish I had removed that middle standoff straight away, it definitely fouls the bottom of the 1490 and I'd recommend removing it before installing the card.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Wooo hooo .... got my Advent 4211 last night, with another 1GB of RAM, and a 250GB hard disk .... time to take it apart! :D

Just need to order a new wifi card to run osx on it!