How do get my kaiser to work as modem on vista

Guest wisemama21

Guest wisemama21

I am so new to this, can someone please walk me thru this connection thing?

I just purchased a htc tytn kaiser to use as a modem with my hp vista home premium laptop. Every time I try to use kaiser as modem, I get the message that the driver is not on the disc. So I'm thinking that I need to find the driver to download so vista will recognize kaiser. All the steps complete except this one. Also have checked all the drivers on vista thru the browse section and no luck. Where is this htc generic driver that I'm supposed to have? So frustrated, Thanks for any and all help. Cindy

Guest jimbouk

Has your laptop got bluetooth?

If so, go to start, connect to, then select set up a new connection and set up a bluetooth PAN (personal area network). Then on device, go to programs, Internet Sharing and select bluetooth, then click connect and accept the "visible" warning.

Guest hotphil

i'm an xp man so I might be wrong, but I think you may be over complicating it trying to find a modem driver. as long as the device shows up in the vistaequivalent of activesync (mobile device manager?) then you should be able just to luanch internet connection sharing from the kaiser and away you go. as jimbo says, you can do it over bluetooth too, but i'd get a usb connction going first to check.

I use it all the time when thieves nick the office copper!

Guest wisemama21
Has your laptop got bluetooth?

If so, go to start, connect to, then select set up a new connection and set up a bluetooth PAN (personal area network). Then on device, go to programs, Internet Sharing and select bluetooth, then click connect and accept the "visible" warning.

Thank You so much, it worked! Have a great day.

Guest wisemama21
i'm an xp man so I might be wrong, but I think you may be over complicating it trying to find a modem driver. as long as the device shows up in the vistaequivalent of activesync (mobile device manager?) then you should be able just to luanch internet connection sharing from the kaiser and away you go. as jimbo says, you can do it over bluetooth too, but i'd get a usb connction going first to check.

I use it all the time when thieves nick the office copper!

I was over complicating things. On my kaiser and vista, I have learned to not use active sync and to not use mobile device manager if I want to use my kaiser as a modem. Just use internet sharing. And don't read the manual where it sends you down the wrong path! It really is very simple. Hope this helps someone else. Thank You so much.