Push email and remote sync?

Guest deejayry

Guest deejayry

I'd like to be able to perform remote sync and enable push email for my pocket pc. I understand that i will need to have a pc running a windows server platform, but am unsure which version of windows server i will need.

I have an old PC which i have been using as a media server for the last few months at the moment it is running XP home but i would like to install a propper server platform instead. I'm a complete newbie as far as server specific platforms are concerned so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

allthough the computer will primarily be used as a server i will also need to be able to use it for internet, playing music and video, audio CD ripping and possibly the odd use of word or excel.

can someone suggest the best suited platform for me?

Guest Bill Fisher
I'd like to be able to perform remote sync and enable push email for my pocket pc. I understand that i will need to have a pc running a windows server platform, but am unsure which version of windows server i will need.

Wow, are you actually considering running a mail server at your home in order to remotely sync and receive push email? In my experience, that's normally an enterprise-only option, because with Windows Mobile, you'd need Exchange Server 2003 SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. There are hosted Exchange options available from ISPs and other service providers, and MS itself is starting to offer hosted services, too.

However, why not just use Windows Live Hotmail? You can sync mail and contacts to Outlook Mobile on your device, and to your desktop PC. And it's free.

Good luck!

Guest deejayry
Wow, are you actually considering running a mail server at your home in order to remotely sync and receive push email? In my experience, that's normally an enterprise-only option, because with Windows Mobile, you'd need Exchange Server 2003 SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. There are hosted Exchange options available from ISPs and other service providers, and MS itself is starting to offer hosted services, too.

However, why not just use Windows Live Hotmail? You can sync mail and contacts to Outlook Mobile on your device, and to your desktop PC. And it's free.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.

yes, i am planning on running a mail server at home, although i agree it is somewhat overkill, i have wanted to set one up for a long time, it would also benifit my father who works from home and his employer have agreed to help fund the server to improve his connectivity to thier network. at the moment it is messy and he has to use a webmail based setup which is inconvenient. i have a router with a VPN passtrough function which should be beneificial to this setup.

I think i will look into MS exchange server 2003 sp2, as this will probably be the most compatible option for my old PC, the 2007 version will probbably be asking a bit too much of the low spec computer.

I am not really interested in using windows live / hotmail. I have never liked its setup. however i may look in to a hosted exchange system with my isp, but AFAIK my ISP do not offer one and i have no intention of changing to a different ISP.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Confucious

Sorry, only just seen this thread. I run SBS 2003 and it works fine. You will need a static IP address or (like me) use a service such as DynDNS.

You will also, obviously, need to get your email pointed to your server. My ISP didn't know what I was talking about when I asked them to point my A record to my server - nor did I, but luckily I have a friend who knows what he's talking about and it's been working fine for the past couple of years.

Good luck.

Guest jimbouk
Sorry, only just seen this thread. I run SBS 2003 and it works fine. You will need a static IP address or (like me) use a service such as DynDNS.

You will also, obviously, need to get your email pointed to your server. My ISP didn't know what I was talking about when I asked them to point my A record to my server - nor did I, but luckily I have a friend who knows what he's talking about and it's been working fine for the past couple of years.

Good luck.

Its your MX record not your A record.

I wouldnt run a mail server on a really old pc. Considering the hardware for a new reliable one is only about £500, I would try to get them to pay for a new box. The exchange server licence won't come that cheap.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Exchange licensing will be really expensive, especially for one or two mailboxes.

You don't need to change ISP to have a hosted exchange solution. My ISP is an Entanet reseller, and I have my mail hosted with SimplyMailSolutions, works brilliantly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest woodsb123

Hey DeeJayry, not sure if you were still looking for a possible solution other than setting up a server. I just recently purchased and setup my Windows Mobile phone(Samsung I760-Verizon) with exactly what you are requesting here and it was all free, except for the unlimited data plan I have. Here is what I'm using:

For push email - Emoze application with Comcast email.

For Remote Sync - Funambol application with Outlook plug-in.

You can google each of these applications in order to find out what they do and how to configure your cellphone for access/setup. They both are supposed to be able to perform the push email as well as contact/calendar sync function, however, for whatever reason, I was only able to set them up as I mentioned above. I have only had this setup for a few days, however, they are working without any issues. The one thing I have to mention is that whatever pc you are running Outlook on, the application has to be open and the pc has to be running at all times in order sync properly. Please let me know if you have any questions.