Looking For FREE GPS Compass

Guest rebecker

Guest rebecker

I'm looking for a basic GPS compass for my TyTN II. Nothing fancy; just needs to show direction while walking.

Thanks in advance.

-Bob-

Guest hotphil

I'd imagine it needs to get at least a few different location fixes in order to be able to determine a direction of travel. The speed probably won't matter but you'd probably have to walk several tens of metres for it give a 'direction'.

Guest rebecker
Just install CamerAware without registering it!

:D

http://www.cameraware.net/cameraware3.cab

P

Tried it. Like it! And it's free! :( Since I don't have access to radar locations here in Costa Rica, I guess I have all I need in the free version. Feel just a little guilty though.

Also tried TGPS. It works well too. It's a traditional compass. Don't know if I prefer that or the degree readout of CamerAware.

Thanks.

-Bob-

VisualGPSce - Couldn't get it to work while walking.

-Bob-

Seems it takes a while to get its first direction fix - which can only be done once you have walked far enough. Tried it again this morning, maybe its 50m to the point at which the dials come alive, thereafter updates seem continuous.

Chris

Guest Mr_Gee
Tried it. Like it! And it's free! :D Since I don't have access to radar locations here in Costa Rica, I guess I have all I need in the free version. Feel just a little guilty though.

It's also free (full version) for PLUS members, this includes a sh*tload of other software too!

-=edit=-

added the link

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=announ...;f=203&id=2

Not sure if the list is updated though

Edited by Mr_Gee

Guest FlangeArtist
I'm looking for a basic GPS compass for my TyTN II. Nothing fancy; just needs to show direction while walking.

Thanks in advance.

-Bob-

Try this: http://www.cjcraft.com/blog/2008/06/04/30D...GPSCompass.aspx

This guy did 30 days of .NET Development for Windows Mobile, with a new application every day and gives us the code. As a result he put together a GPS compass. Enjoy!

Guest pete_thomson
Couldn't get it to work while walking.

-Bob-

I had VisualGPSCE and HTC's own GPS tool working when I was in Guanacaste 2 weeks ago.

Took a little longer to get a lock than normal and it did lag a little but it was certainly usable when walking.

Guest rebecker
I had VisualGPSCE and HTC's own GPS tool working when I was in Guanacaste 2 weeks ago.

Took a little longer to get a lock than normal and it did lag a little but it was certainly usable when walking.

What HTC tool are you using? Other than QuickGPS, is there something I'm missing?

Where in Guanacaste?? That's where I am.

Edited by rebecker

Guest pete_thomson
What HTC tool are you using? Other than QuickGPS, is there something I'm missing?

Where in Guanacaste?? That's where I am.

I'm not sure where I found it - I will look for it again for you - but the HTC Tool is one I think that wasn't supposed to be for public release. I'll re-post the link when I find it. My phone is running the latest TLR rom, and I just added VisualGPSCE and the HTC tool - nothing else.

I was there diving in Papagayo, but had a bit of a trek around....including a day in Nicaragua.