GPS - battery and very hot

Guest spacemonkey

Guest spacemonkey

So, got my diamond, only had it for a couple of days, in general I'm pretty happy, some of the input stuff is a bit buggy, for instance if I type >don't'dont<.>

Biggest issue so far is the internal GPS. When I run it, either google maps of tomtom7 it just eats battery and the phone gets very hot. One worry was yesterday, after running google maps with GPS, I exited google and ignored the phone for a while... checked later, most of the battery was gone and it was very hot... I think it had left the GPS switched on...

Anyone else played with the GPS much?

Guest spacerace
So, got my diamond, only had it for a couple of days, in general I'm pretty happy, some of the input stuff is a bit buggy, for instance if I type >don't< it gives me >'dont<.

yes this bugged the heck out of me. you have to either confirm 'don' as a word before adding the ' or write 'don' with predictive switched on and it will offer 'don't' which you can select at the top.

Biggest issue so far is the internal GPS. When I run it, either google maps of tomtom7 it just eats battery and the phone gets very hot. One worry was yesterday, after running google maps with GPS, I exited google and ignored the phone for a while... checked later, most of the battery was gone and it was very hot... I think it had left the GPS switched on...

Anyone else played with the GPS much?

I can't actually find a setting for switching GPS on/off?? When I loaded TT7 it immediately found the a GPS signal and told me where I was so I assumed it was either already on or TT7 had activated it by itself. I don't know where to go to force it 'off' tho?

Guest Neil5459
I can't actually find a setting for switching GPS on/off?? When I loaded TT7 it immediately found the a GPS signal and told me where I was so I assumed it was either already on or TT7 had activated it by itself. I don't know where to go to force it 'off' tho?

You don't need to do anything. Just point any GPS aware program at COM4/ 4800Baud if it doesn't autodetect. When a GPS program runs, it calls the GPS port and turns on the receiver; once a GPS program exits, and there is no further activity on the COM port, the receiver turns off after about 2 minutes.

One drawback of the minimalist appearance of the Diamond is that there's no LED to tell you what's on or off :D

Guest spacerace

that makes sense. so there is the danger that if a GPS capable program doesn't close correctly, the GPS could remain on without you knowing it sucking battery....

Guest spacemonkey

Yeah, that's my suspicion from what happened at the weekend. The other thing I'm considering, is how hot/battery use it runs at if you still use a external GPS via bluetooth. Haven't really thought about how to configure it for that yet... but it's probably worth a play.

that makes sense. so there is the danger that if a GPS capable program doesn't close correctly, the GPS could remain on without you knowing it sucking battery....

Guest jimbouk
Yeah, that's my suspicion from what happened at the weekend. The other thing I'm considering, is how hot/battery use it runs at if you still use a external GPS via bluetooth. Haven't really thought about how to configure it for that yet... but it's probably worth a play.

If you want to try it, simply pair with external bluetooth gps device (and make sure it has a com port) and go into whatever app's setting and point it at the correct com port and baud rate - instead of the internal.

Guest Monolithix

I've had a similar strange problem a couple of times now. It'll get really hot (just below the battery), and drain the battery. This doesn't seem to be connected to the GPS at all but some evidence does point to the device ignoring an incoming call, failing to notify me of a voicemail, then hanging and getting really hot and draining the battery!

Guest Lingerhosen
I've had a similar strange problem a couple of times now. It'll get really hot (just below the battery), and drain the battery. This doesn't seem to be connected to the GPS at all but some evidence does point to the device ignoring an incoming call, failing to notify me of a voicemail, then hanging and getting really hot and draining the battery!

God, not sure I can be bothered with another phone that does that. My Vario is forever superheating and switching off in my pocket. I should have sent it back when I originally got it. I can't believe they haven't fixed that bug.

Mine usually does it if I get a call/text while it's charging, or if I've not disconnected after using t'internet.

Big bag of pants. Where's the Nokia catalogue?

Do you still get burnt for heresay around here?

Guest maclondon
Big bag of pants. Where's the Nokia catalogue?

Do you still get burnt for heresay around here?

i was playing with a ted baker touch yesteday and it was so much more responsive.

meanwhile...

n96.jpg

still behind glass in the nokia shop, across the road from the iQueue store.

they are all good.

X1 ?

c905?

toys toys toys! :D