Contacts organiser app - recommendations?

Guest Webreaper

Guest Webreaper

I want to sort out my contacts, putting them into the right categories (i.e., work, personal, my friends, my wife's friends). This is partly so that when we both sync our handsets with our PC, we get the right list of contacts on our phones.

Doing it through the WM contacts app is very cumbersome (I have about 560 contacts...) so are there any better ways?

I could do it on the PC (in outlook) but would like to do it on the phone, as I can use my commuting time to sort them all out. :D

Guest jimbouk

If you do it in a third party app, then the sorting/groups won't be recognised in Outlook. I would do it in outlook and on the device so that it remains usable.

If you do it in a third party app, then the sorting/groups won't be recognised in Outlook. I would do it in outlook and on the device so that it remains usable.

... and slightly OT, I wish ActiveSync could sync by categories. I hate carrying my uber-personal-secret-life details on my phone in case some low-life filches it. Outlook entries with 'private' categories should stay in Outlook!! Anyone know a work around?

Guest Shadowfixeruk
... and slightly OT, I wish ActiveSync could sync by categories. I hate carrying my uber-personal-secret-life details on my phone in case some low-life filches it. Outlook entries with 'private' categories should stay in Outlook!! Anyone know a work around?

Trouble is - the private settings are for outlook in a corporate environment... not just WinMob... When you set an appointment as private - your free\busy gets updated so your colleagues can see that you are busy - but not what you are doing - ie its "private".

Cheers

SF

Guest jontelfer

You can have multiple calendars/contacts folders - so my work PC has a contacts folder called "work" with all teh work people in and a second called "contacts" (i.e. default name and I think it's important to use this one) which gets synced to the phone. You'd then set up the sync to use the specific folders - thus allowing choice/selection of the synced info.

Guest Starscreamer
I want to sort out my contacts, putting them into the right categories (i.e., work, personal, my friends, my wife's friends). This is partly so that when we both sync our handsets with our PC, we get the right list of contacts on our phones.

Doing it through the WM contacts app is very cumbersome (I have about 560 contacts...) so are there any better ways?

I could do it on the PC (in outlook) but would like to do it on the phone, as I can use my commuting time to sort them all out. :D

I hear what ya after but I gave up on any such thing. All I use now is FunContact and have all my regular people in favourites. It looks great and you can browse through contacts with a flick of your finger, none of this stylus nonsense. Couple it with zoomboard and you have a better than outlook contacts manager in my opinion.

Can't help on the category side of things :D