Three hour battery??? What the heck?

Guest wgimenes

Guest Kushmir

I am finding the battery life terrible. Yesterday I had 5 mins phone calls, checked email once and got only 8hrs 30 mins before low battery warning. I have noticed the battery gets very warm at times. This is the second Diamond, the first being returned for poor battery life. Orange are sending a third one out to me today. Hoping that it will perform better.

Guest Confucious
So, whats going on there then?

1) My poor signal is causing the battery to drain sometimes worse than other times(possible, my Vario II had really poor battery when I visted somewhere with really bad signal)

2) Leaving the webbrowser running and then turning off the screen continues to use alot of power? (I tend to do this, but try and close apps if I can, but can't always)

Anyway, I'm thinking of upgrading to the latest Radio and ROM and see how things improve.

1) Searching for a signal REALLY drains the battery. If you are in an area where it is constantly swapping between 3G/H/2G you would probably get better data rates and certainly longer battery life by switching to 2/2.5G only.

2) Yes - the web browser does use a lot of battery, even with the screen off.

Upgrading to the latest Radio/ROM should help.

On my Athena 2 hours of web browsing over HSDPA will drain the battery completely, I charge every night (and sometimes during the day as well)

HSDPA and VGA both put massive drains on the battery and the diamond does seem to have a very low powered one!

Guest Dr Who

If the web browser stays connected and is refreshing data whilst the screen is off then yes, it will chew through the battery if connected via 3G - I always terminate the connection manually before I lock the screen.

Guest rameses

My Diamond came off charge yesterday morning at 05:00 after being charged from completely flat over night.

I made and received a few call and texts through out the day and checked my emails using Flexmail over 3G a couple of times. A bit off messing about with TT7 (re installed maps and checked position) and installing a few cabs required a few soft resets. I then listened to the WinMo podcast (nice work guys - the beanbag sounds fab!!)

The phone was then left on my desk over night and this morning it still had 36% battery left. Which is pretty good and a vast improvement on what I was getting a few days ago. So it seems a few full discharge / charge cycles do make a difference.

I've found the best way to make the battery last is

turn off 3G if it's not needed (dead easy after changing the comm manager set up by using Schaps Advanced Config tool)

close apps that aren't needed (set the X button to close)

lock the phone and turn screen off when not in use

Guest Kushmir

Hi rameses,

I have tried all three of your suggestions and still get very poor battery life. Clearly a number of devices, or batteries are defective.

Guest rameses
Hi rameses,

I have tried all three of your suggestions and still get very poor battery life. Clearly a number of devices, or batteries are defective.

Have you allowed the battery to fully discharge before charging up again? Also I initally used to disconnect the charger as soon as the battery got to 100% but it seemed to run down quickly. If you can leave it on charge for several hours (overnight is my choice) it seemed to help with mine. The circle around the big button should be solid white.

Guest Kushmir

Hi rameses,

Because the battery life is so short I have had no choice but to let the battery fully discharge to the point that the phone switches itself off. I leave the battery on charge overnight every night as a matter of course, so that it is always fully charged in the morning.

Guest Neil5459

Could the battery charger itsekf be making a difference? I always use my Ameo charger which is 1A, or my Maplin portable pack which is 750mA

The Diamond's supplied charger is only 200mA so may struggle to achieve a decent charge (ok, I know it's by design, but that doesn't mean it's pervect!)

Since I posted at 10 pm nearly 48 hours ago my phone hasn't been charged. I even used google maps with GPS today for a few mins.

37% remains!

I used the HTC charger too

Guest Kushmir

Neil,

The supplied HTC charger is 200mA input at the mains voltage, but the output is 1A at 5V.

I've just received my third Diamond, which I hope will be as good as ~Rob's! On the the phone I have just returned, today, with no phone calls, sending and receiving a few emails and some use of the internet, checking train times (about 15 mins in all), I got the low battery warning after 7 hours. I also turned off the TouchFlo to see if that made a difference.

Let's start the clock. Diamond came off charge at 10pm tonight.

No e-mail set up and I've already been on youtube/interwebs for 5 mins

^^ 23rd July @ 10pm. Since then It's been on the web for 15 mins, used GPS for 5. Used for calls for 3 mins and text 7 people with as many replies. No e-mail checking and spent 3 hours in an area of poor/no signal tonight. Oh, and my obligatory checking of the phone every half hour for texts and playing solitaire before bed (It's theraputic!)

It's now down to 17% and I have work until 10pm tomorrow so it's going on charge, I would say it could last to midday tomorrow, but that's no use to me.

So in conclusion, I don't use it that much, but the battery can last two days without a charge with no ROM updates and no registry tweaks, other than those for TF3D performance

Guest Neil5459
Neil,

The supplied HTC charger is 200mA input at the mains voltage, but the output is 1A at 5V.

Doh- that'll teach me to read properly :D Scrub my earlier post!

Interesting point though- both the Touch charger and the Ameo charger are rated at 1A, but the Touch charger will not charge the Ameo fully (at least, not in a reasonable time) so something is different!

Guest Kushmir
Interesting point though- both the Touch charger and the Ameo charger are rated at 1A, but the Touch charger will not charge the Ameo fully (at least, not in a reasonable time) so something is different!

A possibility is that the Touch charger has some overcharging protection circuitry and detects battery voltage. The Ameo metering may be set at a slightly higher voltage for a full batery than the charger's cutoff, therefore it does not show a full charge.

I fly radio control planes and have a similar issue where my charger (with delta voltage detection) tells me that a NiMH battery is fully charged, but the meter on the transmitter (basically a voltmeter) shows it as less than fully charged.

Edited by Kushmir