bj2 sync in linux?

Guest iandouglas736

Guest iandouglas736

Hey all,

I've tried several approaches, but have been unable to connect my BJ2 successfully to linux, so thought I'd ask here. I've tried synce on Gentoo and Ubuntu with no luck, and several utilities on Ubuntu that are funambol-based but still have no luck connecting.

I can connect the BJ2 as a storage device by setting the USB mode to "mass storage" but can't access the registry, etc. And "mass storage" mode only seems to browse my microSD storage card, not the main flash memory of the BJ2.

Anyone know of any good tutorial sites?

Guest SeanH
Hey all,

I've tried several approaches, but have been unable to connect my BJ2 successfully to linux, so thought I'd ask here. I've tried synce on Gentoo and Ubuntu with no luck, and several utilities on Ubuntu that are funambol-based but still have no luck connecting.

I can connect the BJ2 as a storage device by setting the USB mode to "mass storage" but can't access the registry, etc. And "mass storage" mode only seems to browse my microSD storage card, not the main flash memory of the BJ2.

If you remove Linux and install Win XP everthing will work fine.

Guest jhmartin88

that has to be one of the funniest replies i've seen

but i too use linux/vista so ill see what i can come up with as far as syncing it

Guest dtphantom
that has to be one of the funniest replies i've seen

but i too use linux/vista so ill see what i can come up with as far as syncing it

to be honest i doubt anything will work. I use ubuntu daily but I don't really expect a windows mobile device to sync to it very easily if at all. Not to mention I'm not so sure what you would be syncing too since you don't have outlook either.

Guest iandouglas736
I'm not so sure what you would be syncing too since you don't have outlook either.

Er, Evolution connecting to my work's Exchange server, for a start.

Plus looking for ways to connect to the BJ2's registry.

Guest SeanH
Er, Evolution connecting to my work's Exchange server, for a start.

Plus looking for ways to connect to the BJ2's registry.

If you are connecting to an Exchange server use push email (MS Direct Push) on the phone. It will sync using the data connection. There is no need to put a Linux box in the middle.

If you would like to edit the registry use one of the many reg editors out there. Total Commander is a freeware version.

SeanH

Guest lonesomecrow

Syncing in linux is a pain in the rear, but not impossible, at Synce there are instructions on how to accomplish this, but it is very tricky as you require about 10 packages to make the magic happen. And for the comment about putting windows in a machine (specially XP), and remove linux, I wish you could see the power of linux (specially gentoo) compared to that garbage (XP) that still costs around $150, and it is free.

Guest SeanH
Syncing in linux is a pain in the rear, but not impossible, at Synce there are instructions on how to accomplish this, but it is very tricky as you require about 10 packages to make the magic happen. And for the comment about putting windows in a machine (specially XP), and remove linux, I wish you could see the power of linux (specially gentoo) compared to that garbage (XP) that still costs around $150, and it is free.

I totally agree that Linux is a powerful OS, but when it comes to the real world it lacks compatibility with most hardware that is less then 2 years old. This forum is about PDA/Cell phones that have typical life of 10 months. There is no way that the open source community can keep up.

A PC and its OS is a tool that most of us spend many hours a day with. Paying $150 once for an OS that last 4-5 years is not that expensive ( $150- 5 years = $30 a year). Having to avoid the 10 packages you recommend to sync your phone to a PC is worth $30 a year to me.

If iandouglas736 who created this thread is a super geek he should keep running Linux and install the 10 apps it takes to make it work. If he does not have the time and knowledge to put all that together the he should go with the standard OS that has 93% market share and install Win XP. It will save him a lot of time.

SeanH

Guest lonesomecrow

I could not agree more with you, but still it is $30 that I could be spending on beer!!! (lol) I guess I can't always have my cake and eat it too huh!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matt Mossholder
Hey all,

The best way I have found, and have working, is to use Funambol, both as a sync server, and client. It will sync mail, contacts, calendar, tasks, and briefcase. You can configure it to use various backends for the data.

All the sync occurs over the network, so as long as you have an unlimited data plan, you are all set.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest RockStar72

LMAO @ removing linux and installing XP.

I'm a diehard Ubuntu fan (on Hardy as I type) and wondered about all this too, except, tbh, more for installing apps, music and general non PIM syncing. However, as has been mentioned before SyncCE seems to be a popular tool, but also seems to be a royal pain in the arse. You could try MultiSync which seems to have a better GUI and integration with Evolution.

However, for getting apps etc to work, you simply NEED MS ActiveSync. Boo!

So what I did was install XP. As a VirtualBox guest OS. Hurrah!

Unless you're an uber geek that will only ever use the true Open Source version of VBox, download ver 2.x of the VirtualBox Personal Use and Evaluation License (PUEL) which apparently has slightly better USB Support, but even then I've found it to be a bit picky about how you connect the phone (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads). Of course, it is "free" still.

Then you can use whatever you like and STILL have CompizFusion Vista kicking eyecandy all for free :( (assuming that is you have your legal copy of XP still :wacko: )

PM me if you have problems and want any tips using VBox with your BJII

Edit: PS Thanks to Matt for the Funambol tip - will go lookat that too ;)

Edited by RockStar72

Guest zaphodbb

Just got a BJII Friday. After playing around a bit and installing SynCE and OpenSync, I'm successfully synchronizing my tasks, contacts, and contacts with evolution. Here are the basic steps I used (BTW, I'm on a Lenovo 3000 N100 running Ubuntu 8.04 with the latest kernel).

1. Plug in phone

2 Create a partnership with (THIS ONE TOOK A WHILE BECAUSE I DIDN'T SEE IT IN MOST INSTRUCTIONS):

synce-create-partnership "Linux Laptop" "Contacts,Calendar,Tasks,Files"

2. Create a msynctool group:

msynctool --addgroup BlackJackII

3. Add a SynCE member:

msynctool --addmember BlackJackII synce-opensync-plugin

4. Add an Evolution Member:

msynctool --addmember BlackJackII evo2-sync

5. Start the sync engine:

synce-sync-engine -v INFO -l ~/syncengine.log -d

6. Sync the device:

msynctool --sync BlackJackII

After that, I plug in the phone and run steps 5 and 6 and it's sync'd.