Need to restore Vario 3 back to Original ROM AND SPL

Guest deadphill

Guest deadphill

Hello Guys

Im hoping someone can give me some help on this.

Ive searched everywhere ie here and xda for a ROM/utilities that will restore my Vario 3 back to how it was when I got it from T-mobile. Its been hard spl'd and obviously has been running different ROM's since I have had it.

To add to my woes, I have also flashed the MODACO startup picture, which now kinda makes it even harder to pass off that I have not done anything. I have heard that they check the spl when it goes in for warranty repair, which in its current state is going to be a problem.

I have managed to get a ROM which kinda takes it back to T-mobile settings, at least in the software but it does not default back to the horrid white pink and grey screen, (not that this would necessarially be a problem) it does not change the startup screen, nor does it change the SPL.

If anyone can help it would really be appreciated. At the moment I have to have the usb cable wrapped around the device just so it will pick a connection up and its driving me nuts!

Cheers

Phill

Guest Mysterious Stranger

Depends where you send it. T-mobile took their repair contract away from HTC.

I had an MDA touch repaired last week for a bad flash / IPL /SPL mismatch after a rom flash to an xda-devs rom went wrong. Like you, there was no official signed rom package to repair it with, and they sorted it under warranty no questions asked. Went to a repair centre in Milton Keynes but like I said, not HTC.

I wouldn't worry. Get it to stick in bootloader and deny all knowledge.

M.S

Guest deadphill

Hmm fair enough, but if there is a solution to the problem I described I would rather go down that route first time and save any potential problems, rather than take a chance at the first hurdle.

If it transpires that I cant do it then I guess I will have to but at the moment I will keep trying, hoping someone out there knows how to do it!

Cheers

Phill

Most likely CTDI in Wymbush.

I'll dig out the repair invoice and check. Address looked a bit odd - it said Milton Keynes but wasn't an 01908 number but another geographical phone code.

M.S

Guest Confucious

If you want to get the SPL back surely a PM to JockyW is the way to go if you've looked elsewhere.

Edited by Confucious

Guest deadphill

Nice one thanks mate.

I decided I would just flash it with the available t-mobile made up rom and return it. If anyone asks I will just say it is a customisable device and I didnt have any idea that it changed a bootloader..

Btw what is a bootloader? Is is something to help get your shoes on?!!!! :D

Cheers

Phill

Guest deadphill

Well thats true.

Just out of interest, has anyone gone from using a kaiser to a "lesser" windows mobile.

One thing I am really missing is a keyboard and HSDPA. GPRS is crap!

Does anyone know "roughly" how long it takes T-mobile do to repairs? I know they quote 3 weeks but I would love it if it came back before then!

Cheers

Phill

Well thats true.

Just out of interest, has anyone gone from using a kaiser to a "lesser" windows mobile.

One thing I am really missing is a keyboard and HSDPA. GPRS is crap!

Does anyone know "roughly" how long it takes T-mobile do to repairs? I know they quote 3 weeks but I would love it if it came back before then!

Cheers

Phill

6 days from collecting it from my door, them flashing it and then picking it up from the local t-mobile franchise ( dunno why they sent it there...)

I doubt they'd boot it. It's like asking HP to start every retunred PC up rather than just re-image the harddisc and do diagnostics...

M.S

Guest deadphill
6 days from collecting it from my door, them flashing it and then picking it up from the local t-mobile franchise ( dunno why they sent it there...)

Just out of interest, was that 6 days or 6 working days? And what happened to your device?

Cheers

Phill

Just out of interest, was that 6 days or 6 working days? And what happened to your device?

Cheers

Phill

6 calender days, it had a bad flash to a HTC rom ( not me! Honest...) so had an ipl/spl mismatch and as there was no signed rom from t-mobile I couldn't recover. The dumped roms are unsigned so need jiggery pokery to flash - that isn't possible if the device is stuck in bootloader - so the dumped roms showed up as corrupt.

It *is* fixable with a custom update matched to the CID of the device. Apparently.

Olipro wanted £70 (!) to create one for me despite claiming not to be trying to make money (see the Diamond unlocker thread) - I would assume 1 update for t-mob devices would work for all the other-tmob touch users in the same boat - there's a lot apprently according to the posts on xda-devs, so maybe someone should form a group buy and all pitch in to buy it - but I'm sure they'd get upset if we then went on to distribute it......

So as I wasn't in a massive rush to sort it I decided to have it done for free instead rather than pay almost the cost of the device and double the price HTC charge for a bad flash just to get it done quickly...

They didn't say anything about the existing rom or thatuser error had caused it. Apparently the rom they flashed looks different according to the person who uses it.

M.S

Guest deadphill

Oh right. I shall bear that in mind for the future then. Nice one.

My Vario 3 has a dodgy usb port in that I have to wrap the blooming thing around the phone 3 times before it will make a sync connection. That I could just about bear with as I dont do that much usb stuff but with it being on charge in the car was a nightmare.

Hope its not too long now. Im missing it already!

Cheers

Phill

Oh right. I shall bear that in mind for the future then. Nice one.

My Vario 3 has a dodgy usb port in that I have to wrap the blooming thing around the phone 3 times before it will make a sync connection. That I could just about bear with as I dont do that much usb stuff but with it being on charge in the car was a nightmare.

Hope its not too long now. Im missing it already!

Cheers

Phill

Did you not mention the USB to them? Usually from what I remember 2 faults at the same time on a handset gets you a refurb'd unit from t-mob?

M.S

Guest Shadowfixeruk
Lol it has a modaco splash on startup. They might notice!!

Cheers

Phill

Anyone have the original TMob splash screen? I think there is a Util somewhere on XDA to change these....!

SF

Guest Confucious
Lol it has a modaco splash on startup. They might notice!!

Cheers

Phill

Maybe they'll like it and start using it on all their devices :D

Guest deadphill

M.S

I mentioned that the keyboard was slightly off sync with the rest of the device and that the usb was shot.

Its been a week now, so only 4 more to go. By the time I get it back the Vario 4 will be out!

Its a real shame there is no upgrade ROM from T-mobile for this device. Sometimes I think it is easier for them to release a crappy ROM if only for the fact there will be another ROM to follow, even if it is only so I can just flash it back with the operators ROM.

Still I suppose we shall see!

Cheers

Phill