Remote Tracker for Pocket PC devices

Guest deadphill

Guest deadphill
Isn't it easier just to not get your phone stolen?

:D

Ha ha!! Yes in an ideal world it would.

I would prefer a scenario whereby you can enable the front facing camera via 3g, then when you know its been used by your thief, you can remotely blow the device up. That would be better, and they might not think about doing it again.

I believe in south africa they have a device fitted onto cars which spread fire around the outside to stop car jackings. Similar thing don't you think? :D

In all seriousness yes I agree with Paul, your way is probably the best way of doing it. I think the only problem is that there will have to be a hosted service to keep it running, since the program will have to integrate with that. I'm not sure the developer is that far advanced. Perhaps you could help him out on this one Paul? I spy a potential new plus service in the making!

Cheers

Phill

Guest Joubert Vasconcelos
Hmm I am confused now. You say on one hand that it cannot survive a hard reset per se, however if it is in a custom made ROM, it can.

Is this correct?

For me it was a given that if it should be flashed with another ROM then indeed there is nothing you can do but if it is a custom made ROM that keeps a registry setting as part of its customisations in the ROM held on the device, theoretically, it should restore itself on a hard reset of the device.

(All getting a bit confusing for me now!) :D

Cheers

Phill

When you cook a new ROM you can add and remove stuffs, so if you add RT in there, you will have it after every hard reset. But, if you reflash your device with another one, RT is gone.

OK, so I've thought long(ish) and hard(ish) about the whole surviving-hard-reset problem, and baking into a ROM is the only answer, however it's no good if you have to bake a different from for each user.

I propose that one of these applications should use your devices unique ID or a derivation of it (easily retrieved) as it's 'authorisation code'. Thereby each device has a unique number that needs to be sent in authorisation SMS, but you don't need individually cooked ROMs.

I guess some parameteres would need to be set on a website.

e.g.

- Install remote tracker app

- Select about box (or similar) to get device unique ID

- Go to www.remotetrackerwebsite.com and enter code to register the device to you

- Phone stolen, can be commanded by SMS using unique ID to your phone no

- Phone hard reset with your SIM still, no problem

- Phone hard reset and SIM changed, remote tracker app should post new phone number to website to let you still command it etc.

Thoughts?

P

Yes it's a great idea. I'm talking about it with another developer from Italy and he will make something in this way. When I got more informations I told you.

Joubert

I would prefer a scenario whereby you can enable the front facing camera via 3g, then when you know its been used by your thief, you can remotely blow the device up. That would be better, and they might not think about doing it again.

I believe in south africa they have a device fitted onto cars which spread fire around the outside to stop car jackings. Similar thing don't you think? :D

I have this idea in my TODO list. When you send specific command, RT will show a dialog box in your lost device. After some action (yes, no or X button) a picture is taken using front camera, if your device has one, and send to you by e-mail.

But, unfortunately, I could not find a way to use the camera in WM6 or 6.1 yet. :angry:

In all seriousness yes I agree with Paul, your way is probably the best way of doing it. I think the only problem is that there will have to be a hosted service to keep it running, since the program will have to integrate with that. I'm not sure the developer is that far advanced. Perhaps you could help him out on this one Paul? I spy a potential new plus service in the making!

Cheers

Phill

Because of this I'm talking about another developer who has a free server :D

Joubert

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.