TYTN II 6.1 Upgrade - Dreadful SMS threading cause slowdown

Guest Sonicr360

Guest Sonicr360

Hi all,

Posted a topic early in the week about problems I had with the 6.1 upgrade and restoring the PIM database.

This week, after having over 600 SMS messages, I am now finding the performance of the SMS threading awful. For example, when typing, the speed is dreadful. In most cases, the keyboard does not respond, or words / letters are completely missed out.

I have disabled the option to auto complete my words for all applications, but its not helped.

I want to investigate the registry further, and see if there is a way to disable this feature. For me, its just not working out. If I can find a way to disable this feature, I will then try to restore my PIM and see if this works.

So, firstly, anyone know of a good FREE Registry hack tool I could use? Resco Explorer looks ok, but at a price. Shame there isnt one built in really !

Simon

Guest tsutton

I am considering disabling the SMS threading too as it has started to go slow when I have more SMS in there...

There is an CAB file whch disables it.

Guest Sonicr360

Care to share please? I have gone through the file files under windows, and could not see anything, so my next thought was a reg hack.

I also know some iPhone users have complained of similar feelings and problems, especially if they get too long.

Thanks, Simon

Guest jimbouk

the cab is available - just search xda-developers. Or use the well know reg edit to add in a "disablesmsthread" key

Oh and I really don't get people keeping 100's and 1000's of sms's on their devices. Why not back them up or Jeyo them to your pc before a rom update and then just leave them there.

Edited by jimbouk

Guest Sonicr360

Jim

That was the point of the topic - using a reg editor to look for something. Cheers for the key.

Not an XDA developer member, so suspect downloads are not permitted if it is forum based like Modaco.

At least it looks like I am on the right tracks then....

Guest Sonicr360

Hi

Sorry, I thought I replied to this.... but I found the hack and enabled it. back to normal SMS now :-)

Going to restore things back shortly with the PIMBackup tool :D

Guest Sonicr360

Ok just to add feedback.

The PIM restore worked, and I see all the messages, however slowdown has occurred. This time, I am going to delete 8 months worth of SMS records, to see if this is the degrade in performance.

If not, then a total hard reset will be needed, and I will have to give up on the PIMBackup/Restore process. Must be a 6.1 thing !

I think I may need to go back to 6.0 though. Anyone have a link or process that I can follow?

Guest Sonicr360

Further update. I had to empty the entire SMS account to restore the performance back to the norm.

So the recovery process failed.

So back to an EMPTY SMS folder. At least its not threaded now :-)

Will stick with 6.1 for the moment, but if anyone knows of a link to revert back to 6.0, would be interested just in case I have to.

Thanks, Simon

Guest Boinng

With all due respect to this excellent forum, the best place for ROM updates (or downdates, so to speak) really is XDA Devs. There are extensive wiki's etc that have links to all the files you need, like the original HTC 6.0 ROM.

For the record, I carried over hundreds of texts with PIM Backup in the same way, and have had no slowdown issues - no more than was occasionally found on the old ROM anyway. As far as I can see, the threaded system is designed to only load "conversations" in small chunks, so as not to overload itself, and I think it works quite well really.

I did find that after the restore, it took a while for the inbox to reorganise itself fully - I found it best to leave it alone while it went through this process, and straightened itself out. Since then it's been fine.

Edited by Boinng

• 2 weeks later...