No T9 Predictive text despite it being turned on

Guest martinegtk

Guest martinegtk

A second problem I'm having with my Diamond is that it is not suggesting words when I am typing like my Touch used to. I have everything turned on in the input settings menu but I get no suggestions at all. Any ideas? I'm using ROM 1.37. Thanks.

Guest newtonmj

I've noticed exactly the same issue... although only whilst using the 'standard' keyboard. If using Phone Keypad, Compact QWERTY or Full QWERTY it works fine...

(I've also set the 'Suggest after entering' option to 2 letters - it was originally set to space so when you suggested checking it I thought that was surely going to be the problem... unfortunately not though)

Mathew

P.S. I am assuming you're actually talking about 'word completion' as opposed to T9? T9 being where you'd enter 228 and it'd offer 'bat/cat' as options, word completion being where you'd enter 'ca' and it'd suggest 'cap/cat'...

Edited by newtonmj

Guest newtonmj

Sorted it!

Change the registry key XT9SupportMSSip in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Tegic\eT9\ from '0' to '1' and this enables word completion whilst using the standard keyboard.

Caveat: I only found this by experimentation and so I do not know if there are any negative consequences, although I think all it is doing is enabling XT9 for the 'Microsoft standard input'? (i.e. standard keyboard?) It does kind of blow my word-completion/T9 differentiation apart, but perhaps XT9 is some combination of the two.

Mathew

P.S. BONUS!: It also brings back the 'contacts suggestion list' when entering a name in the To: field for SMS/MMS/etc - I really missed that from my previous device(s)!

Edited by newtonmj

Guest Kushmir

Word completion on my Diamond works in T9, but not ABC mode and not with the full keyboard.

newtonmj, thanks for a solution to this, I will try that, what software do you use to edit the registry? I have been really missing the 'contacts suggestion list' as well, and will be pleased to get it back, I couldn't work out why it was omitted from the Diamond.

PS Have changed registry key and word completion now works for me and the contacts suggestion list is working too. Thank you.

Edited by Kushmir

Guest Neil5459

Word completion works for me in the Full QWERTY and Standard Keyboard, as well as the other compact keyboards, without any reg hacks.

All I needed to do was tap the small arrow by the KB, select Touch Input Settings, and tick 'Word Completion in ABC Mode'

Perhaps this is a 'fix' in later ROMs- I'm using a 1.93 ROM.

[Edt: Oh, and the Contact suggestion list works as it should as well!]

Guest newtonmj

Kushmir,

I use the registry editor that comes with Resco Explorer.

Neil,

That's interesting - you could be right about the ROM versions as it does seem like a bug to not work in the first place on the standard keyboard (regardless of T9/ABC setting). Out of curiosity, if you've got a spare moment any chance you could check the registry key to see what (default) value you've got?

Mathew

Edited by newtonmj

Guest Neil5459
Kushmir,

Neil,

That's interesting - you could be right about the ROM versions as it does seem like a bug to not work in the first place on the standard keyboard (regardless of T9/ABC setting). Out of curiosity, if you've got a spare moment any chance you could check the registry key to see what (default) value you've got?

Mathew

The reg key in mine is already set to 1, which may explain why it works!

Guest Kushmir
Kushmir,

Thanks for letting me know.

Not a big deal, but interesting, the word completion is now working, but even though I have 'add a space after word' selected it is not adding a space, is it the same for you?

Guest Rod65
Thanks for letting me know.

Not a big deal, but interesting, the word completion is now working, but even though I have 'add a space after word' selected it is not adding a space, is it the same for you?

Same here, no space after word completion on my original german htc rom

Guest newtonmj
even though I have 'add a space after word' selected it is not adding a space, is it the same for you?

Yes, and it seems to be ignoring the 'number of characters' setting too.

As you say, not a deal breaker... it'd be interesting to see if Neil's is fully configurable in this respect.

Mathew

Guest Neil5459
Yes, and it seems to be ignoring the 'number of characters' setting too.

As you say, not a deal breaker... it'd be interesting to see if Neil's is fully configurable in this respect.

Mathew

I have seen the failure to add a space if a word from the word list is selected. If the 1st word in the list is the one you want, then pressing space automatically enters it plus a space.

I think the general options (Settings/Input/Word Completion tab) such as Add Space, Suggest after x letters etc, only apply to the standard WinMo keyboard types. The Touch Keyboards use XT9 and have their own set of configs (Touch Input Settings, or Settigns/Input/Options/T9 Settings)

The lack of ctrl and direction functions is more of an annoyance for me in the new keyboards :D

Guest newtonmj
The lack of ctrl and direction functions is more of an annoyance for me in the new keyboards :D

They are present in the 'standard' keyboard (CTRL > bottom-left, Arrows > Numbers layout)...

You had me worried there as I use PocketPutty to SSH to my servers and the lack of CTRL/arrows would've been a right show-stopper!

Granted, if you don't use the standard keyboards then it's not good... and begs the question why do they do this?!

Mathew

Guest Neil5459
Granted, if you don't use the standard keyboards then it's not good... and begs the question why do they do this?!

Mathew

Thay do it because the Touch keyboards are aimed at the texting fraternity rather then experienced PC users :D Leave out a lot of navigation keys, and there's more space for thumb operated keys!

Guest Nahaha
A second problem I'm having with my Diamond is that it is not suggesting words when I am typing like my Touch used to. I have everything turned on in the input settings menu but I get no suggestions at all. Any ideas? I'm using ROM 1.37. Thanks.

Hi there, I try to create a cab file which can enable the word completion function for MSFT IME ( Block Recognizer / Keyboard / Letter Recognizer ).

Have fun~

http://rapidshare.com/files/133542391/Add_...ard_WC.cab.html