A few questions before it goes back.

Guest the-jackal

Guest the-jackal

Well I have made my mind up. Its going back. Great phone to look at and the touch screen is great, but when it comes to being user friendly (for me at least) it just doesn't cut the mustard.

Going to upgrade my N95 classic to the 8GB model. I am tempted to wait for the Samsung i900 but fear it wont be out for a while.

Main reasons for sending it back are:

1) I found texting to be a pain and that's what I do a lot of.

2) Group texts just didn't work even though I had set up a new category in outlook it never showed up in the group text app.

3) The battery life on mine was bad.

4) Profile pictures kept changing back to poor quality outlook thumbs

5) Forwarding texts was a pain.

6) No flash on the camera

Reasons to keep it:

1) It looks cool and does some cool stuff and that's about it.

If I had more time with it I may be able to work around these things but I only had 7 days to make my mind up. the battery going flat at about 10pm last night was the last straw as I had left my cable at work. That's when I put my sim back in the N95 and that is where it has stayed.

Shame because it is a bit of posers phone and I did find myself getting it out just to flip through contacts and pictures to wow people. Which it did very well. Shame it wasnt as easy to send texts and make calls.

Guest vii_voo
Well I have made my mind up. Its going back. Great phone to look at and the touch screen is great, but when it comes to being user friendly (for me at least) it just doesn't cut the mustard.

Going to upgrade my N95 classic to the 8GB model. I am tempted to wait for the Samsung i900 but fear it wont be out for a while.

Main reasons for sending it back are:

1) I found texting to be a pain and that's what I do a lot of.

2) Group texts just didn't work even though I had set up a new category in outlook it never showed up in the group text app.

3) The battery life on mine was bad.

4) Profile pictures kept changing back to poor quality outlook thumbs

5) Forwarding texts was a pain.

6) No flash on the camera

Reasons to keep it:

1) It looks cool and does some cool stuff and that's about it.

If I had more time with it I may be able to work around these things but I only had 7 days to make my mind up. the battery going flat at about 10pm last night was the last straw as I had left my cable at work. That's when I put my sim back in the N95 and that is where it has stayed.

Shame because it is a bit of posers phone and I did find myself getting it out just to flip through contacts and pictures to wow people. Which it did very well. Shame it wasnt as easy to send texts and make calls.

I'm considering, very reluctantly in returning my Compact IV, the single reason being battery life to short. Then would wait for Vario IV.

Shame because it is a bit of posers phone...

Personally I don't agree. It certainly looks great, but I also find there's all the functionality of my original TyTN and more. I'm really glad I got it.

I think the key here is just personal choice, along with if you're used to a phone working in a certain way then it's easy to get frustrated when a new phone doesn't. Plus it's important to figure out what functions are critical to you in a phone, and buy the phone based on that.

Guest vii_voo
Personally I don't agree. It certainly looks great, but I also find there's all the functionality of my original TyTN and more. I'm really glad I got it.

I think the key here is just personal choice, along with if you're used to a phone working in a certain way then it's easy to get frustrated when a new phone doesn't. Plus it's important to figure out what functions are critical to you in a phone, and buy the phone based on that.

Tytn would last about 3 times longer than the Diamond.

How have you got use to that?

Guest bdmoore
Tytn would last about 3 times longer than the Diamond.

How have you got use to that?

Even though I didn't need to with the TyTN I always plug my phone in to charge when I go to bed - a habit from the early days of Windows Mobile - so personally I don't find it affects me.

I spend most of my day at or near a PC too so if need be I can just plug in a USB cable to get a boost of power. Haven't needed to yet though :D

Plus I've only had the phone for a week, and given previous experience it can take a good couple of weeks for the battery to get to full operating capacity.

Like bdmoore, I'm always near a charger. It charges on the desk during the day, at night as well, plus I have a car charger. I did the same with the TyTN though.

Guest vii_voo
Like bdmoore, I'm always near a charger. It charges on the desk during the day, at night as well, plus I have a car charger. I did the same with the TyTN though.

Hmm! I can do that. But what about when you go on holiday?

Does the battery really take a few weeks to get to full strength. I've had mine 2 weeks and I just about get more than 24 hrs from it, with light usage.

Was full charge from 6.30am this morning, now 70% full at 3pm, after 30 mins calls and some texting Lost signal at lunchtime going into a shop, it did not come back until I manually reactivated radio signal back in office an hour later. This must have also drained battert more.

Hmm! I can do that. But what about when you go on holiday?

I'm not sure I'd use it when I go on holiday! But for me the battery life doesn't seem to be that bad. I've used it with GPS for almost 2 hours, and lost maybe a third of the battery. This would be enough to have drained the battery on my TomTom One.

If I get the right situation in the next few days I'll try some tests to see what the battery life is like, although proximity to radio antennae and other things are always going to be variables.

Does the battery really take a few weeks to get to full strength. I've had mine 2 weeks and I just about get more than 24 hrs from it, with light usage.

I thought it was 4 or 5 charges, but battery science is a bit of a black art. Perhaps have a look at the excellent BatteryUniversity.com, and I'm assuming it's a Lithium Ion battery the Diamond has.

Guest bdmoore
I thought it was 4 or 5 charges, but battery science is a bit of a black art. Perhaps have a look at the excellent BatteryUniversity.com, and I'm assuming it's a Lithium Ion battery the Diamond has.

Yeah it probably is - the rest of the time is probably just the novelty factor of a new phone wearing off :D