Kaiser - Tether with OSX

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Hi All,

I've had a bit of a google around, and was looking for some help.

I'm trying to tether my Kaiser on T-Mobile UK with my MSI Wind running OSX. I understand that you need to tether via bluetooth (or wifi). Can anyone help with step by step instructions?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest andrewkeith5

you can get it working over bluetooth (i managed to last night with my friends macbook), but you can only use the bluteooth to connect to the internet or to transfer files

to connect to the internet (and these arent hard-and-fast guidelines as i'm doing this from memory, not being an osx fan):

before you start, i'm assuming that the bluetooth function on both the mac and the kaiser is turned off, and that you haven't created any pairings so far - make sure that you delete any pairings that you currently have

1) open up comm manager on the kaiser and turn on internet sharing

2) make sure that internet sharing is using your usual internet access point for the internet connection (mine is T-Mobile Internet)

3) make sure that the communication interface for internet sharing is set to bluetooth, then tap connect - at this point it will probably complain that bluetooth isn't turned on (if it isn't, obviously), in which case tap yes to turn it on

4) tap ok to get back into the comm manager, and click Settings>Bluetooth

5) in the "Mode" tab, make sure that the "make this device visible to other devices" is activated (ticked)

6) click ok, and close comm manager to return to the main screen. You should notice in a seperate section at the bottom a flashing bluetooth icon - this indicates that the kaiser is ready to recieve a bluetooth pairing request

7) go back into comm manager, and tap internet sharing again to make sure that the internet sharing on the phone is still ready (it should state at the top of the screen "Device setup finished. On the PC, connect Bluetooth PAN")

8) on the mac, click the bluetooth icon on the top right of the screen, and turn bluetooth on

9) click the icon again, and select the option to setup a new bluetooth device or pairing (i can't remember the exact phraising)

10) the mac should start searching the bluetooth area for devices - once your kaiser pops up, select it and click next

11) the mac should provide you with a passcode that you'll need to initiate the pairing between your mac and your kaiser

12) on the kaiser, you should see a popup telling you that your mac is requesting that you create a new pairing. tap connect, and you should be prompted to enter the passcode that should be displayed on the mac setup screen

13) enter the passcode and click connect

14) the kaiser should now say something along the lines of connection successful. just click ok at this point, you don't need to worry about the advanced setting unless something goes wrong

15) on the mac at this point, it should be showing you a list of all the "profiles" that the kaiser and mac support - as long as "Bluetooth PAN" is selected and activated, we should be alright, so click next

16) the network settings window should now pop up annoyingly on your mac. we don't need this just yet, so minimise it for now

17) back in the bluetooth window, click on the pairing with the kaiser and make sure that its connected

18) once the kaiser and the mac are definately connected, go back into network settings and at the bottom there should be a new option for "Bluetooth PAN"

19) you shouldn't need to change any of the settings for a Bluetooth PAN connection, so just go ahead and click connect to setup the internet connection on the mac

20) once the mac shows that it is connected and has an ip address, the kaiser should also say "connected" in the internet sharing dialogue, and you should be succesfully connected to the internet through your mobile providers mobile internet connection

as ever, make sure that you are allowed to connect to the internet using your phone as a modem before you setup a bluetooth pan connection, as many mobile broadband packags that are "add-ons" to standard price plans have a fair use policy deeming that using the phone as a modem for a computer is disallowed, including the standard version of web 'n' walk, although in reality it is highly unlikely that you'll ever get caught using your phone as a modem - if they do catch you, however, you're in for a stonking great bill at the end of the month

hopefully this is the information you were after....thats what i thought you wanted from what you said anyway...

any problems or queries, post back in the thread and myself or somebody with more experience of macs will do our best to help you out

andrew

edit: many many spelling mistakes - must get used to my new keyboard...woo:D 150 posts makes me an enthusiast :D

Edited by andrewkeith5

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Hey Andrew,

Thanks ... after posting, I went on a bit of a google mission and sussed out that really can only do it with wifi sharing, or bluetooth pan. I collared Paul on Palringo for some help.

It works ok, but kills the battery more than usb sharing.

I've also got WNW Plus, so no probs there !

Thanks for the update though, as it's useful for others./

Guest andrewkeith5

not a problem :D

yeah bluetooth and wifi really do take a chunk out of your battery, though bluetooth a lot less than wifi in my experience

hopefully said tutorial should help out others who're in a similar position to you were (it didn't seem to me like a very easy setup process to be honest, although I am yet to get bluetooth PAN working proerly on my vista pc....)