Touch Diamond enhanced remote control client under development

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
omnipresence.png
Koushik Dutta, my new hero for his incredibly effective unravelling of the Diamond specific APIs for managed developers has announced another new Diamond enhanced project named 'OmniPresence'.

Written in .net CF 3.5, OmniPresence is a remote control client (and accompanying server) with some very nice implementation details. Taken from the first preview post, features include:
  • Double tap to zoom in and out
  • Use the HTC Diamond Nav Wheel to smoothly zoom in and out
  • Drag your finger along the screen to pan.
  • Click and hold to send a right click to the remote machine.
  • You can enter full screen via the menu. You can leave full screen by pressing the center rocker/nav key.
  • Screen rotation sensor support via GSen (I removed it from my app, why do it when someone else does it better?)
    Beta 1 adds the following goodies...
    • Panning and Zooming do not suspend screen refreshes.
    • Panning the screen does not tax your bandwidth as much. Tuned the compression algorithms to handle it intelligently.
    • Fixed a bug that cause the the screen to "jump" if you panned or zoomed repeatedly.
    • Implemented right click. Click and hold to send a right click.
    • Gave click events tactile feedback: they now vibrate your phone for a split second. This feature can be enabled and disabled in the menu.
    • Implemented several compression techniques. The "best" one is used every frame. Still investigating further tuning of loss-less compression.

Finally, as the application develops, the following features are planned...

[*]One of the unmentioned features is that Omnipresence can support multiple clients/viewers at the same time. I need to add a status panel that shows all the current clients on the server. [*]Password based authentication. [*]"Observer" mode. Someone who connects with the specified observer password can only view the session, and not interact. [*]The ability to toggle how double clicks are handled: send to server or client zoom. Right now double clicks are never sent to the server, and that is annoying! [*]Improve on the tactile feedback, by supporting more types.

o Audio Notification (a customizable beep)
      o Visual Cue (a cross hair that appears where you clicked) [*]Have the client retrieve "larger" than screen dimension images to support faster panning when bandwidth is not an issue. [*]Implement client pacing: the client should intelligently pace its frame requests so it is never waiting for a frame. It should always be either decoding or receiving a frame.

It's pretty cool already, but it definitely has great potential. I'd love to see support for a standard server protocol like VNC going forward, which would also facilitate non Windows servers (e.g. mac!)

Head on over to Koushik's blog to read more, or download the latest beta here. Koushik has also added AppToDate support in his other applications, so i'm hopeful we'll see OmniPresence auto-updating soon too. Hurrah :D

P

Guest daftveggie

Just installed on my Orbit 2 and it has the main parts of functionality. The scroll wheel doesn't work as a zoom but that's about it.

Awesome app, wish I'd waited for the Diamond now!!!

Guest twizzle
Just installed on my Orbit 2 and it has the main parts of functionality. The scroll wheel doesn't work as a zoom but that's about it.

Awesome app, wish I'd waited for the Diamond now!!!

I downloaded it but cant get it to work on my diamond.

Its installed on the diamond, but when i run it and connect i get error while connecting: a socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host.

Now i dont think its the Omnipresence software as i also get a connection error using the .net vnc. As a server address i use the IP of my router, with the prot forwarded to my pc. for .net vnc i have the viewer running on my pc and firewall is disabled while i test this out. Omniprescent software errors on my pc as soon as i run it with an unhandled exception error.

so any ideas? What am i doing wrong? What other VNC software might work or where can i find Remot edesktop on the diamons (or do i need to install it?)

Guest mikeeey

I'm getting the error:

"Error while connecting: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"

i changed my port to 13371 and now got the error:

"error while connecting: a socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host"

so maybe i need to find a real port, im just not sure what that is.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest daftveggie

I had to open up the port on my router becuase I use a NAT firewall. Also Vista has to be told to allow the connection (or XP firewall if it's an agressive one). Also make sure that you've actually connected to the mobile data provider (sorry if that's patronising) and I also stopped activesync connection to the PC I was trying to control. That fixed the errors that I got.

(that and actually installing .net 3.5 on the machine and .net CF 3.5 on the device as the post says to but I ignored first time around (Doh!))

Edited by daftveggie

Guest twizzle
I had to open up the port on my router becuase I use a NAT firewall. Also Vista has to be told to allow the connection (or XP firewall if it's an agressive one). Also make sure that you've actually connected to the mobile data provider (sorry if that's patronising) and I also stopped activesync connection to the PC I was trying to control. That fixed the errors that I got.

(that and actually installing .net 3.5 on the machine and .net CF 3.5 on the device as the post says to but I ignored first time around (Doh!))

How do i check that the diamond has .net3.5? and if i dont have it where can i download it from? MS?

Guest mikeeey

ah i got it working now! and i found out my problem.

Last night i was somewhat tired I suppose trying to set this up, when i saw it say "Server" I just entered a random name thinking it was just something I was supposed to call it, when really I should have been putting my IP address. I did this and now it works great!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
I'd love to see support for a standard server protocol like VNC going forward

No, no, no, no, no! :D

VNC is teh evilz. RDP ftw :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.