HTC simplifies ROM download process

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

If you own a HTC device, chances are you've tried to download an updated ROM at some point, and had to jump through a bunch of hoops to do so. Hoop-jump no longer! :D

Effective immediately, HTC device owners can now download ROMs from their regional HTC site without needing to register their device and sign in, a very welcome improvement - well done HTC! :D

P

downloads-20080807-160259.jpg

Guest Syphon Filter

Cool,

Now all the people with various carrier branded devices have quick and easy access to the (IMO) better HTC stock ROMs.

Guest 1straven
Cool,

Now all the people with various carrier branded devices have quick and easy access to the (IMO) better HTC stock ROMs.

You still have to type in the serial number so the carrier branded phones wont be able to download since their serial numbers are 'invalid'

Guest vii_voo

How and when can we expect these updates from the carriers? Like T-Mobile UK for instance, for the MDA Compact IV.

Does anyone know if these rom upgrades will significantly improve the battery life of the MDA Compact IV?

Edited by vii_voo

Guest Confucious
How and when can we expect these updates from the carriers? Like T-Mobile UK for instance, for the MDA Compact IV.

Does anyone know if these rom upgrades will significantly improve the battery life of the MDA Compact IV?

From the carriers? Sometime in 2012.

From XDA-Devs? Now.

You still have to type in the serial number so the carrier branded phones wont be able to download since their serial numbers are 'invalid'

I spotted this also, so arguably it's even more annoying than before. Now you have to type it in every time you download!

Guest spenner
Are they mocking Kaiser and such owners by adding that drivers category when clicked shows nothing.

Also I noted that the Touch Diamond is not listed under the UK support site. I tried downloading from the europe site and it told me that the software was not compatible with my device, which is supplied by orange.

Guest yrreP
Also I noted that the Touch Diamond is not listed under the UK support site. I tried downloading from the europe site and it told me that the software was not compatible with my device, which is supplied by orange.

I don't think that HTC ever will fully host Network ROM's... i know that they are the backend of the T-Mo ROMs, but all the other Networks seem to host their own.

I can see a lot of people getting frustrated with this one, as on paper they have an HTC device, but technically it's a rebranded HTC handset.

:s

Guest Syphon Filter
I don't think that HTC ever will fully host Network ROM's... i know that they are the backend of the T-Mo ROMs, but all the other Networks seem to host their own.

I can see a lot of people getting frustrated with this one, as on paper they have an HTC device, but technically it's a rebranded HTC handset.

:s

Meh, I don't think it matters with XDA-Dev having our backs...

Guest fraktal

I know the answer to this already, but someone please confirm...upgrading a ROM (to anything other than one provided by your network) voids your warranty, right?

Guest fraktal
In theory, yes. In practice, no (with all the usual caveats).

By which you mean, that they could reject your phone, but they rarely check, I suppose. Thanks for that, and apologies for going off-topic...

Guest Confucious

Normally the first thing they do is reflash with their latest firmware without checking - I don't know of anyone who has had a claim rejected but it is as you say, they could.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.