qwerty on screen

Guest LeiChat

Guest LeiChat

The other day whilst using the Diamond qwerty keypad I noticed that it displays an indicator of which key you're pressing in a similar way to the iPhone.

Here's an example of how it works on the iPhone.

-

As you'll see at the start of the video clip below my not exactly huge fingers hide the popup and if you're tapping quickly you may not have noticed it previously either.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLsy8SrXkBk (EDIT: youtube processing still)

I switch to the stylus to make it easier to see the popup, don't normally need to touch the stylus. :D

My point here is that hopefully this might be improved upon in a future ROM release to work more like the way the iPhone does showing the popup above where your finger / thumbs are touching.

If you try sliding your finger around you'll see you can select the key and then release, not sure if that's the same as on the iPhone.

The long press option for alternative characters is good though. On the iPhone you have to switch to another view to get numbers etc. Something that doesn't sound too bad until you find yourself trying to enter a strong password and you're switching back and forth every couple of characters.

Anyone looking for a full demo of the various on screen keyboard options see this video:

-

Edited by LeiChat