The official Samsung i900 Omnia 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Erm, tough call, I like them both for different reasons!

At the moment, i'm leaning towards the i900 because of the camera and the battery life primarily, but it's a tough choice!

T-Mo seem to stock a lot of Samsung handsets, so I see no reason why they shouldn't take the i900? I've heard nothing official though...

P

Guest WearTheFoxHat

My question is:

All the reviews seem to go on about how slightly sluggish the i900 is ... have you found that? Is it that bad? How does it fare in comparison to the TyTN II? A worthy upgrade?

Secondly ... any UK resellers that have the 16GB unlocked?

Guest fenomeno83

hello! someone can post a set of videos at vga resolution taken with omnia with new rom?post these in megaupload,rapidshare or similar (not youtube!)please..it's important for me!thanks

Edited by fenomeno83

Guest tfoulkes

Hi Paul,

Thanks for all the information.

Could you tell me if it will run tom tom at the same time as the mp3 player?

I'd like to use it in the car for both at the same time...

Thanks!

Tim

Guest M Seif

Hi paul

I know this will sound starnge, but this is the case, I have tried the Jasjar and now the Tytn1 . ALL have problems with all top bluetooth headsets ( I tried the top of the line from Sonyecricsson, Nokia, plantronics and Jabra). All the people hear my voice intermitant . they hear a lot of silence while am talking for very short time. I do not have this problem with the same HS and my very old Nokia.

This is the main reason fro me to leave all " Chineese designed " phones.

1- I am going to the omnia hoping it will not show this problem.

I assume you have tried it !!!

2- Also the most important thing for me is to be able to search contact with one hand quickly and then dial , what do you think of its dialer ?

3- what do you think of its big button KB in the landscape mode ?

4- Last thing, have you tried Agenda Fusion ? does it work well on this big screen ?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance . Seif

Guest Eriktheviking

Paul,

Cancelled my upgrade on this phone until i can decide what the txt input will be like. i send about 300 per month.... is the non-qwerty (hardware based) and lack of stylus going to be a massive problem for me? is using the on screen keypad anything like a normal keyboard? how long does it take you to type a normal 160 character SMS/ how annoying is it to do so?

the touch phones are the only real option for me now as i dont like the diamond... so guessing i wont like the touch pro and the kaiser is a little bulky for my liking.

Cheers.

Edited by Eriktheviking

Guest helpme

Dear Paul,

I read may review said that the Kinetic scrolling (touchflo) of i900 is not as good as the implementation of the HTC one. One of the reason is the i900 one is not system wide.

Do you think it is possible to turn off the default one and install the HTC touchflo that was extracted from a HTC machine on to i900?

Elton

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi paul

I know this will sound starnge, but this is the case, I have tried the Jasjar and now the Tytn1 . ALL have problems with all top bluetooth headsets ( I tried the top of the line from Sonyecricsson, Nokia, plantronics and Jabra). All the people hear my voice intermitant . they hear a lot of silence while am talking for very short time. I do not have this problem with the same HS and my very old Nokia.

This is the main reason fro me to leave all " Chineese designed " phones.

1- I am going to the omnia hoping it will not show this problem.

I assume you have tried it !!!

2- Also the most important thing for me is to be able to search contact with one hand quickly and then dial , what do you think of its dialer ?

3- what do you think of its big button KB in the landscape mode ?

4- Last thing, have you tried Agenda Fusion ? does it work well on this big screen ?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance . Seif

1. I use it with my Parrot Minikit no problem, but then most devices have worked fine with that?

2. Dialer is very good, with haptic feedback.

3. It's better than most.

4. No, sorry, haven't tried it!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul,

Cancelled my upgrade on this phone until i can decide what the txt input will be like. i send about 300 per month.... is the non-qwerty (hardware based) and lack of stylus going to be a massive problem for me? is using the on screen keypad anything like a normal keyboard? how long does it take you to type a normal 160 character SMS/ how annoying is it to do so?

the touch phones are the only real option for me now as i dont like the diamond... so guessing i wont like the touch pro and the kaiser is a little bulky for my liking.

Cheers.

The onscreen keyboard is probably the best on WinMo yet... but it's no hardware keyboard. That said, what you lose in tactile feedback you make up for in size...

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Dear Paul,

I read may review said that the Kinetic scrolling (touchflo) of i900 is not as good as the implementation of the HTC one. One of the reason is the i900 one is not system wide.

Do you think it is possible to turn off the default one and install the HTC touchflo that was extracted from a HTC machine on to i900?

Elton

Correct, the kinetic flowing is limited and a bit disappointing. Could TF be ported from a HTC device? I don't know, but that would be awesome if it could be done.

P

Guest M Seif
1. I use it with my Parrot Minikit no problem, but then most devices have worked fine with that?

2. Dialer is very good, with haptic feedback.

3. It's better than most.

4. No, sorry, haven't tried it!

P

Thank you very much fro your time.

M seif

Guest Mark_in_VA
Darn! Bricked it!

The saga continues . . . .

As noted above, I bricked it. So, after hunting around the boards and finding no alternatives, I dug and dug until I could find a phone number for Samsung in Korea. Late one night last week, I called Seoul and managed to speak to a receptionist that spoke very good English and took down all my information (model, IMEI #, Serial#, etc.). She said she'd pass it along to the right people.

I got home Friday from work to find both a phone message and an email from a Sansung engineer in Plano, Texas, who offered to send a prepaid mailer to me to send my phone to them to fix, or (if they can't fix it) to order a new one from Korea and send it to me. I thought this pretty cool, because Samsung's HELP desk said they don't support the SHG-i900 in the US because it's not a US phone (I'm in Virginia, BTW).

Last Thursday night, I called Samsung's Public Relations agency in Singapore (because it was the only phone number I could find - I can't call a Singaporean (or Korean) '800' number from the USA) and spoke to a very helpful woman, who also took my information and passed it along though another channel.

I'll update this story as the need arises.

One thing - we here on the boards are truly an international community of 'early adopters.' In some cases, we will need to get things fixed by returning them to their 'home country.' Because of the '800' number problem noted above, I would suggest to the board moderators that there be a sticky put up that notes the local numbers (and country codes) for Samsung wherever they are located. I would be happy to contribute what I've learned to that list.

Stay tuned...

Guest helpme
Correct, the kinetic flowing is limited and a bit disappointing. Could TF be ported from a HTC device? I don't know, but that would be awesome if it could be done.

P

can Kinetic scrolling on i900 be disabled??

which built-in programs are supported??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.