The official Samsung i900 Omnia 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul,

Is it possible to boot the i900 to the microsd card?

I have installed a 4gig microsd and would like to install a program that I have on an SD card that autostarts when inserted into my PDA.

Thank you

John

Guest fenomeno83

sorry paul

can you post a set of videos taken at vga resolution with omnia with new rom?post these in megaupload,rapidshare or similar (not youtube!)please..it's important for me!thanks

Edited by fenomeno83

Guest the-jackal

Can anyone tell me how to edit the widget? A mate has the tocca and its all quite straight forward but on the Omnia I cant seem to find how to edit it.

So far I am loving this over the Diamond. I think its just the bigger screen that make a huge difference. Its a shame the stylus was an after thought.

I got mine from Orange and its the 16Gb version so well happy about that. Now I am off to find out all the best things to add and tweak.

Paul, are you going to do your usual "Must have Apps" thread?

Guest helpme

Paul,

I have been using HTC Diamond for almost 3 months now, and I found that the enlarged UI element allow me to forget about the stylus. May be once or twice a week I needed to take out the stylus.

Can you tell me if the Samsung has done any work on the UI of Calendar, address book and pocket outlook, so that stylus is not needed?

Guest the-jackal
What do you want to do to the widgets?

P

I was just wondering if you could remove stuff from it or add stuff. The tocca widget seems alot more customisable.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I don't get what you mean. You can add and remove widgets from the homescreen, of course, from a big list of widgets?

How is the Tocco more customisable?

P

Guest Matt76

Hi newbie to the forums :D

I currently have a Nokia N95 8GB and I am considering changing my phone, I was thinking about the iphone but wasn't keen being tied to one contract (O2). Having gone through various websites I noticed the Samsung i900 which I like the look of. Before I part with my cash I was wondering if anyone can help answer these few questions for me.

1. The camera on my N95 is pretty good how does the i900 compare? I know that the N95 is apprently slightly better than the i900 on video recording but what about photo quality?

2. Does the phone have a limit on how big the additional memory card can be?

3. When sending texts with my N95 I can scroll through the phone book and just select who I want to send my text to and this can involve sending the same text to a number of people. Can you do that kind of thing with the i900 or do you have to set-up a user group?

4.On my N95 I have the option for video ringtone (so it plays a music video everytime I get a call) is this option on the i900 phone and can you also different tones for different numbers?

Compared to my current phone the N95 which is the better phone, the i900 or my N95? I am just after other peoples point of view so I can weigh up the difference.

Thanking you in advance

Matthew

P.S. My apologies for my first post having so many questions

Guest Bad-Co
Hi newbie to the forums :D

1. The camera on my N95 is pretty good how does the i900 compare? I know that the N95 is apprently slightly better than the i900 on video recording but what about photo quality?

2. Does the phone have a limit on how big the additional memory card can be?

3. When sending texts with my N95 I can scroll through the phone book and just select who I want to send my text to and this can involve sending the same text to a number of people. Can you do that kind of thing with the i900 or do you have to set-up a user group?

4.On my N95 I have the option for video ringtone (so it plays a music video everytime I get a call) is this option on the i900 phone and can you also different tones for different numbers?

Compared to my current phone the N95 which is the better phone, the i900 or my N95? I am just after other peoples point of view so I can weigh up the difference.

Thanking you in advance

Matthew

P.S. My apologies for my first post having so many questions

Hi Matt.

1, It's a tough choice between the two as they're the same spec. All I could say is the Omnia is upto scratch in the camera department.

2, I've got an 8Gb one in mine... (other sites say 16Gb)

3, Yes, its exactly the same. Goto Phone book and select the contacts you wants to text.

4, You can have different tones per contact. When I go into video, it does have the option to set as a ringtone/caller ID ( mine are greyed out, so it must be due to size/type.

Edited by Bad-Co

I had a go with the Omnia in an Orange store just the other day. I am VERY impressed, the UI seems to be considerably faster than my TyTn II.

I also love the movement sensor which (just like the iphone) automatically tilt's the screen into landscape or portrait for both right and left handed users. It also does it in a matter of miliseconds unlike my TyTn II which takes a good few seconds for it to move into landscape mode (one of my BIG pet hates with the TyTn II).

It also appears to be smooth and quick with dialing a phone number, writing texts, scrolling while surfing (using opera) and navigating the UI menu's. All of which kicked my TyTn II into touch.

I feel this could possibly be a cheaper alternative to the iPhone 3G. I am interested in the 3G iPhone purely to combine an iPod and phone into one device. But, my budget doesnt stretch to pay £35 a month for 18 months and then £100 up front. I'd prefer to haggle with retentions at Orange to keep my 12 month contract and see if my loyalty will pay for a free Omnia!

Edited by Helix

Guest Matt76
Hi Matt.

1, It's a tough choice between the two as they're the same spec. All I could say is the Omnia is upto scratch in the camera department.

2, I've got an 8Gb one in mine... (other sites say 16Gb)

3, Yes, its exactly the same. Goto Phone book and select the contacts you wants to text.

4, You can have different tones per contact. When I go into video, it does have the option to set as a ringtone/caller ID ( mine are greyed out, so it must be due to size/type.

Oh right, so apart from the additional storage, and the 'flash' userface of the i900 (I guess given time the i900 will have some good must have programmes) they are on par with each other spec wise?

Guest Quist09
Oh right, so apart from the additional storage, and the 'flash' userface of the i900 (I guess given time the i900 will have some good must have programmes) they are on par with each other spec wise?

Er, you should realize that this phone builds on the Windows Mobile 6.1 operating system. This basically means that you have MORE good must-have programs from day 1 than are available for the N95 after 2-3 years.

I originally came from the Symbian world and my first true smartphone was the Nokia E61. Wanting a camera, touch screen, real keyboard and the ability to send/receive html-email through Exchange, I upgraded to an HTC TyTN. Now I was impressed with the amount of software available for Symbian, but OMG was I astounded by both what 3rd party software was available on WM and how much modding could be done to improve the Windows Mobile phone.

Tiring of the 2.1MB camera I shifted to N95 8GB and have loved it except for the text-only emails and incessant button pushing to type or get anywhere. Now I'm moving to a brilliant middle-ground with the all-in-one Omnia.

So, think of it this way. Sure you've got the same spec on the camera, but you get a faster processer, far better UI, bigger screen, touch interface, more RAM and doubled the card storage space - PLUS more options of must have 3rd party software out of the box.

Guest Matt76

Does anyone know which version you get from the Orange UK website? I have looked on there and it doesn't tell you which one it is.

Many thanks

Finally got a response from Orange - sent them an email a few days ago (never received a response), tried phoning the customer service line that took ages and I couldn't wait much longer as I had things to do. Just had some spare time so visited the website again, and got to speak online with a sales support representative who confirms Orange are selling the 16GB online and not the 8GB.

Edited by Matt76

Guest Matt76

Rightio! I have now got my i900 (brought it from Orange website) and I now want to add my music files/music video file to use as my ringtones. I have looked at the various options that is on the phone and searched the manual as well and can't see anything that jumps out at me telling me how to do it.

Can some please advise.

My apologies for sounding thick and thanking you in advance

Matt

When using the telephone keypad, only after the call is active a mesage appears that says "Press the action key to unlock the keypad" and the only way to make it go away is to press the action key. During a call this is very annoying because if you want to enter tones during a call you keep getting interupted with this message display. My question is this, is there a way to deactivate this feature someware in the settings of the phone or software?

Guest Matt76
When using the telephone keypad, only after the call is active a mesage appears that says "Press the action key to unlock the keypad" and the only way to make it go away is to press the action key. During a call this is very annoying because if you want to enter tones during a call you keep getting interupted with this message display. My question is this, is there a way to deactivate this feature someware in the settings of the phone or software?

I noticed this as well, very frustrating!!

I was in a call yesterday (fist call on the phone) during the call every so often I was not able to hear my friend, when I pressed the action key to unlock the pad the call came back? Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by Matt76

Guest MrJoe_K

Paul,

Sorry to be a pain in the backside, but is there any free voice recognition software for the omnia? I tried a free trial of vito dialler but on using active sync, it failed to install correctly. Looked at MS Voice Command but thought I'd come on here and ask the experts. This is my first ever post so please keep the jargon to a minimum! lol

Guest M Seif
Paul,

Sorry to be a pain in the backside, but is there any free voice recognition software for the omnia? I tried a free trial of vito dialler but on using active sync, it failed to install correctly. Looked at MS Voice Command but thought I'd come on here and ask the experts. This is my first ever post so please keep the jargon to a minimum! lol

try using Cyberon Voice dialer, I have been using it on my TyTn1 for longtime and is great.

kindly let us know the result, as am expecting mu omnia to arrive in dew days.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.