does the gps suck that bad?

Guest pk_volt

Guest pk_volt

I know the gps isn't really that great, and it's said to be within roughly 50 meters, but I'm at home right now, and google maps using gps says I'm like an 8 minute drive away!

ok, it's not really THAT bad, but it still somewhat sucks. My friend's HTC tilt can go within 10 meters or something like that when he's walking around the streets

maybe I'm doing something really stupid here? But all I did was select "use GPS" in google maps, and i'm assuming that blinking dot is indicating where I am

Edited by pk_volt

Guest pk_volt
I know the gps isn't really that great, and it's said to be within roughly 50 meters, but I'm at home right now, and google maps using gps says I'm like an 8 minute drive away!

ok, it's not really THAT bad, but it still somewhat sucks. My friend's HTC tilt can go within 10 meters or something like that when he's walking around the streets

maybe I'm doing something really stupid here? But all I did was select "use GPS" in google maps, and i'm assuming that blinking dot is indicating where I am

I also want to ask about google maps... Is it charging me money from getting data off from the network?!?!? or are the maps online?

Guest dtphantom

If you're inside you're probably not actually getting a GPS lock it just triangulates your position based on the cell towers it sees. And that is only accurate to like 1800 meters try going outside and getting a gps lock. And yes unless you have unlimited data plan it's costing you money to use Google maps, it pulls all the map data from the internet.

Guest PPCInformer
I also want to ask about google maps... Is it charging me money from getting data off from the network?!?!? or are the maps online?

U dont pay any thing extra , other that the usual data charge for downloading the map on to your phone. ( I do believe Gmaps have a data traffic monitor )

Guest pk_volt

Thanks for the reply guys.

I have another question. I got garmen XT to install on my BJII, but I'm lacking the maps. Does anyone know where I'm supposed to get these maps?

Guest Confucious

Did you set up the GPS in Google? If the blue dot has a larger blue circle round it, it is using cell triangulation and not your GPS, this is far less accurate. Your GPS should be accurate to within a couple of meters on streets (less so when you are off road but still a few meters).

The maps for Google maps are downloaded as you need them, if you have already downloaded the map of where you are then it *should* be stored in cache so you won't have to download it again - but if you move and it needs more map data it will download a new map for which you will be charged according to your data plan - it certainly helps to have an 'unlimited' plan!

Garmin XT comes with maps - Where did you buy it from? The maps should be on the card.

Guest paper_wastage

my BJII with Garmin Mobile XT takes about 5-7 for cold start TTFF... (2-3 for warm start)

then it takes about 1-2 minutes for garmin mobile XT to calculate route....

which isnt bad... i use my BJII as a backup GPS in case i get lost without my real GPS

Guest Confucious

That's awful! is there no prog like QuickGPS on HTCs?

If I had to wait more than 30 secs om my Athena I'd get bored. And 1-2 minutes to calculate the route? You'd be half way there!

Guest xxl.kupe
Did you set up the GPS in Google? If the blue dot has a larger blue circle round it, it is using cell triangulation and not your GPS, this is far less accurate. Your GPS should be accurate to within a couple of meters on streets (less so when you are off road but still a few meters).

The maps for Google maps are downloaded as you need them, if you have already downloaded the map of where you are then it *should* be stored in cache so you won't have to download it again - but if you move and it needs more map data it will download a new map for which you will be charged according to your data plan - it certainly helps to have an 'unlimited' plan!

Garmin XT comes with maps - Where did you buy it from? The maps should be on the card.

I've followed all of the steps to unlock the GPS but i'm still only triangulating. Even when I'm clearly outside. I don't know what's up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by xxl.kupe

Guest Idiotmitten
I've followed all of the steps to unlock the GPS but i'm still only triangulating. Even when I'm clearly outside. I don't know what's up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've had it take up to 10 minutes to sync with the satellites. Sometimes not at all. Sometimes had to reboot the phone. I made no changes to a stock BJII other than download google maps.

Guest pk_volt

I got garmen XT to work on my phone and it works very well when driving.

Sometimes it's pretty quick to find satellites, but sometimes it will take as much as around 5 minutes max for me. I discovered that once it's found a satellite and I exit the program and open the program again, grabbing satellites is a lot faster!