3G Router

Guest SSR

Hi folks,

I have a requirement to provide broadband in a small office area which has no phone socket etc.

Someone suggested the idea of a 3G wireless router.

Does such a thing exist? i.e. a router connected with a 3G SIM card that will supply Internet wirelessly to those in the area.

Any input much appreciated!

Guest LSmith4285

This is what your after. Its a Vodafone 3G router, plug in a 3G card and away you go. It used to be available from Voda direct with the card but I can't see it on their website.

Obviously using a 3G card you all share the 3G's bandwidth which will be dependant on location and reception. I use a 3G card in my work tablet and the bandwidth can be limiting at times and thats me using it on my own.

Guest Mysterious Stranger
Hey there. :D Hope you're well!

Have a look at this:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2910.html

All you need is an 3G USB modem (available from phone operators), plug it in and away you go.

The Draytek's a bit flaky and my 2 units need daily rebooting otherwise they stop seeing the USB port. It's quite an old model and the USB port was originally configured only for printer sharing, the 3g modem connectivity being created with a firmware upgrade. It's a hacked solution and it shows, but as we already had the routers it was a bit of a bargain.

I also use a couple of top global phoebus MB6000's: http://www.topglobalusa.com/MB6000.htm with option globetrotter fusion PCMCIA cards.

There is minimal setup needed out of the box but you only get 1 network port so would need an additional router for the same connectivity as the Draytek.

They have a newer version available but I haven't seen one of those yet. So it depends on what you've already got ( USB stick / PCMCIA etc).

M.S

Guest deadphill

From what I recall, there was an all in one device that Linksys made. You literally plugged in the sim card and you were away.

I seem to remember hearing linksys are going to be no more soon so might be a relic if nothing else now!

Cheers

Phill

From what I recall, there was an all in one device that Linksys made. You literally plugged in the sim card and you were away.

I seem to remember hearing linksys are going to be no more soon so might be a relic if nothing else now!

Cheers

Phill

There's the vodafone branded linksys one linked to above. Still needs a PCMCIA and I didn't consider one as they are firmware locked to vodafone PCMCIA cards ( although the vodafone option globetrotter pcmcia itself isn't carrier locked!)

The 'throw in a sim' one was only available from Vodacom SA IIRC.

Although Cisco are folding in the Linksys name for some ranges consumer products such as this are not affected.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/30998

"Consumer-level products will continue to be sold under the Linksys brand."

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Guest Stephen Yang

The best one I've used so far is the Kyocera KR2, but I don't know how well that works outside the US.

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/kr2-router/

Hi folks,

I have a requirement to provide broadband in a small office area which has no phone socket etc.

Someone suggested the idea of a 3G wireless router.

Does such a thing exist? i.e. a router connected with a 3G SIM card that will supply Internet wirelessly to those in the area.

Any input much appreciated!

Guest WearTheFoxHat

I've just ordered the Draytek 2820VN, and it arrives tomorrow.

I bought it because the Draytek routers are "meant" to be more solid and dependable that Linksys,. D-link, Netgear, belkin etc.

The router does adsl, adsl2 and also 3G, but the 3g isnt the reason I bought it.

Hope it works ok, or it will be going back.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Excellent :D

Not wanting to derail thread, Im hoping to use nat behind my firewall, but also give some devices internet "real" ip's too.

I bought it because the Draytek routers are "meant" to be more solid and dependable that Linksys,. D-link, Netgear, belkin etc.

The router does adsl, adsl2 and also 3G, but the 3g isnt the reason I bought it.

TBH they're all much of a muchness - all I've ever seen are conexant / arm940T based, some barely distinguishable from reference designs. It's all down to the firmware. There are lot of 'community' firmwares out there on websites run along the same lines as xda-devs - I'm stuck using stock firmwares as my client has to comply with CFR 21.11 :-(

The DrayTeks I have weren't designed to use a USB stick modem - the port's even labelled 'printer' and it's only the last firmware they did that enabled it so flaky use isn't an issue - I'm sure the latest ones are much better - their support is usually very good.

M.S

Guest WearTheFoxHat

How true.

At my previous address, I used to have Blueyonder (now Virgin Media) cable broadband. Id gotten fed up with my home router running dog slow or even crashing. Id tried both linksys and netgear. So in the end, I installed a Smoothwall router on an old 486 PC I had lying around. Oh my god ... the connection absolutely flew! Far more concurrent connections, far more stable. I guess it goes to show that these soho routers are only designed for the average home user, and not a power user.

I'm hoping to use my draytek to run nat at home, but also live real IP addresses to certain servers, but also take advantage of the two POTS to VOIP ports too. Hopefully there will be a lot more flexibility with routing and also possibly DHCP/DNS too.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Update : Draytek is currently being RMA'd.

During periods of high downloads, I noticed the internal LAN was unusable. I've also noticed that I'm getting 60-80% packet loss. Really disappointed too.

Update : Draytek is currently being RMA'd.

The Draytek's a bit flaky....

Ooops.. I feel like I jinxed you! Who did you order it from? Some retailer's RMA procedure is better than others, would be interested in your experience.

M.S

• 1 month later...
Guest MadMatt2002

I'm looking for a 3g router that will work with a dynamic dns system to allow remote access to some equipment.

I'm thinking of...

Payg 3 data card

plugged into a

Compatible Router

connect with an ethernet Cable from router

Ethernet to RS232 adaptor

to the serial port on our instrument!

Any ideas if this would work?

Many thanks

Matthew

Guest MadMatt2002
Er, unfortunately not AFAIK, as the mobile broadband system is NAT'd, and you won't be able to get in from outside...

P

Hmm...

Worth a try......

Back to square one then!

Cheers for the reply Paul!

Matthew

• 3 weeks later...