Introducing... The Palm Treo Pro

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Are these pics really the forthcoming Treo Pro previously known as the Treo 850? Originally posted at WMExperts, the details have now been removed from that site. Go figure :D If there's ever a way to confirm a leak, then that is the way to do it!

A picture paints a thousand words as they say... Discuss! :D

P

treopro1.pngtreopro2.png

Looking at the top right of the screen, me sees a task manager that has an uncanny resemblance to HTCs Task Manager... Are HTC being the OEM on this I wonder?

Guest Simon Desser
Looking at the top right of the screen, me sees a task manager that has an uncanny resemblance to HTCs Task Manager... Are HTC being the OEM on this I wonder?

I'd expect so. HTC made the Treo 750.

Looks like another phone I won't be able to resist :D

I'd expect so. HTC made the Treo 750.

Looks like another phone I won't be able to resist :D

But HTC aren't palms only OEM (or at least, not that I know of)

As and when someone gets there paws on one, can the check if there are any HTC Apps (Connection Setup, Network Plugin etc)?

Does the labelling of the front LED simply as a "charge indicator light" suggest that message waiting/event notification is going to be as lame as that on 680 and Centro, i.e. practically non-existant?

Guest Confucious
But HTC aren't palms only OEM (or at least, not that I know of)

As and when someone gets there paws on one, can the check if there are any HTC Apps (Connection Setup, Network Plugin etc)?

As it seems to have HTC's task manager I'd be very surprised if it's not.

It's also as ugly as all the other Palms and why a square screen on a WM device?

Strange that these are so popular in the US....

As it seems to have HTC's task manager I'd be very surprised if it's not.

It's also as ugly as all the other Palms and why a square screen on a WM device?

Strange that these are so popular in the US....

Square screen does have its advantages (although its a pain to add support for when programming!)

The keyboards are usually good, and they're generally good to use. Why would they not be popular in the US?

EDIT:

Looking at the Images above reminded me of an early android test device:

7233.jpg (from http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.co...301134,00.html)

Edited by l3v5y

Guest chucky.egg

I like it, in fact I've liked several of the weeny small Palm devices.

They're also supposed to be fast aren't they?

I ditched my Samsung i780 because of the square screen though. I didn't get on with it for reasons that are hard to explain - it just felt wrong. I don't like having to scroll up/down on menus to see all the options, and I couldn't read it properly with realVGA installed.

I was reading an article on PocketPC Thoughts where they were wondering where the excitement had gone from WM, and I have to say I agree with them - this Treo looks nice, but it's certainly not exciting.

Guest Confucious
Square screen does have its advantages (although its a pain to add support for when programming!)

What advantages does a sqare screen have?

What advantages does a sqare screen have?

Same in landscape and portrait.

Get a decent screen real estate.

Wider pages good for things like web browsing (Opera for example)

Even with the menu bars showing, you get a large amount of screen space.

Keeps the device to reasonable proportions with a hardware keyboard.

Looks cool! :D

.......and so with the piccies and the specs (assuming they are true) go my hopes (yet again) of a decent new qwerty WM Standard (Smartphone) device.......again.............anyone out there fancy getting a Nokia E71 to run WM ;-)...........................

Guest Confucious
Same in landscape and portrait.

Get a decent screen real estate.

Wider pages good for things like web browsing (Opera for example)

Even with the menu bars showing, you get a large amount of screen space.

Keeps the device to reasonable proportions with a hardware keyboard.

Looks cool! :D

Isn't 640 X 480 better?

Isn't 640 X 480 better?
DAMNIT!

Yes, but you can't get the same form factor as the Palm with that screen unless you want a device uglier than one designed by a three year old on crack.

DAMNIT!

Yes, but you can't get the same form factor as the Palm with that screen unless you want a device uglier than one designed by a three year old on crack.

320x320 is pretty optimum for that size screen IMO.

RealVGA 96dpi on my i780 is still perfectly readable and base OS menus/icons are still selectable on the move.

RealVGA on a 2.8" 640x480 screen definately isn't, so you're stuck with pixel doubling and no gain over QVGA for most applications.

It's now official!

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/news4215.html

From here

And it looks like HTC (unless Palm/another OEM has nicked the Task Manager) have added some nice new things!

-- One-touch Wi-Fi button -- Easy, fast Wi-Fi connection experience (802.11b/g).(1)

-- Today screen enhancements -- Web search directly from the Today screen.

-- Ringer switch -- Silences the device immediately.

-- Screen saver -- Lets users know at a glance -- without turning on the device -- what time it is and whether they've missed a call or have a new SMS/MMS message.

-- New voicemail indicator -- The center button flashes to let users know that a voicemail is waiting.(3)

:D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.