Please Help a Newbie with GPS!

Guest The_Hun

Guest The_Hun

Hey guys I got my Q9h a week ago and it says it comes with internal GPS. now i have not found any application in the phone to use GPS. However, it quickly leads to my next question, do I NEED to have a DATA plan to use the GPS services? or is there a way to install maps and the phone to use the satellites? If someone could give me the whole rundown how this works I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Guest The_Hun
Hey guys I got my Q9h a week ago and it says it comes with internal GPS. now i have not found any application in the phone to use GPS. However, it quickly leads to my next question, do I NEED to have a DATA plan to use the GPS services? or is there a way to install maps and the phone to use the satellites? If someone could give me the whole rundown how this works I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

so no one knows anything?

Guest tsutton

GPS is free to use and is NOT tied to your operator's contract.

However if you use Google Maps, then you will need data access (i.e. GPRS or 3G) in order to download the maps images.

But the thing to remember is that GPS itself is free to use.

Guest The_Hun
GPS is free to use and is NOT tied to your operator's contract.

However if you use Google Maps, then you will need data access (i.e. GPRS or 3G) in order to download the maps images.

But the thing to remember is that GPS itself is free to use.

well that comes to my next question. is there a program out there that does not require me to go online with my phone? I do not have a data plan and do not want to play the 20 bucks extra it would be here.

Guest The_Hun
It depends on what you need?

I dont want to surf the net. All i would like is to have a GPS program on my phone that does not require a DATA plan.

Guest tsutton
TomTom, CoPilot, Garmin XT, iGo, Route66 - take your pick if you want full route planning.

Obviously making sure you turn off any Internet access requirements from these programs.

Guest The_Hun

so r u guys saying I can install a tomtom program on my cell phone? Or are you guys saying I need to go out and buy a tomtom device. sorry if I sound a little confused. also, if you have a link to a download site for this tomtom program if it exists.

Guest Samsonite

ok, let me help you out here...

Your phone has the capability to run various Satellite Navigation programs: TomTom, CoPilot etc. These programs would need an input from some form of GPS system that is either built into your phone or is attached by a bluetooth link. Either way, the software shouldn't need to access the internet for maps or route calculation.

Most of these programs will have some additional features that will take things like traffic conditions or road closures into account. The most common way for this to happen is an internet based system that would download regular traffic updates etc. These features would mean you need an internet connection and would use any inclusive data you may have in your monthly charge.

I don't have one of your types of phone but you want to visit the TomTom/CoPilot websites to see how to buy their software for your model - install it onto your phone and away you go!! Getting these programs to access the built in GPS feature of your phone is something i cant help you with but its not usually a big problem.

as for links to software, go to the official sites and BUY the program you like - that way people wont get grumpy with you if you cant get stolen software to work on your phone!!

hope this helps you out... :D

Guest The_Hun

does anyone know of any good free gps software for download? I have tried a couple but they just seem to freeze my phone tried(nav4all) and (navizon)

Guest Confucious

As someone asked before - what sort of GPS software do you want?

Have you heard of Google?

Try searching for "free gps software smartphone" there is lots out out there, it just depends on what you want.

Guest The_Hun

i actually have tried searchin for that. I am loooking for a simple program to give me directions and a waypoint on a map. I do not have a data plan so I do not want to use google maps. Also, if i get this tomtom software, I assume i will have to buy a memory card to hold the info since the q9h only comes with about 250mb?

Guest The_Hun

not to be rude, but why would i go spend like 250 bucks for a tomtom package for the phone when i could go buy a tomtom device for like 200 bucks. that is larger and probably works alot better then these phones. I got this phone because it was GPS capable and was told i would not have to pay to use the GPS in it

Guest The_Hun

I will be using it for mostly to navigate from one place to another, searching for house addresses, in city stuff. no off-road use. I want to use it in my car. waypoints would be ideal. Also would be nice for when i take road trips to the states.

Guest awarner (MVP)
i could go buy a tomtom device for like 200 bucks. that is larger and probably works alot better then these phones. I got this phone because it was GPS capable and was told i would not have to pay to use the GPS in it

Standalond GPS devices and software version that run on your phone are basically the same.

It is all down to cost and whether you want to have one device to do it all or a couple of devices.

Standalone units are coming down in price and more importantly size.

As for not having to pay to use GPS this is correct but you do have to pay for the software to use the GPS if you want traffic navigation.

Guest Confucious
coming down in price and more importantly size.

\one thing I like about my Athena is the big screen - bigger than most standalone devices. It does depend on what you want.