Bluetooth and auto screen off

Guest julians

Guest julians

Hi ,

Just got my i780 on orange, and it seems generally ok, but today on my way to work I discovered a potential major flaw (at least I think it is).

When its hooked up to my handsfree via bluetooth the LCD stays switched on and fully lit up, which absolutely hammers the battery. If its not connected to my handsfree, then the lcd and backlight behaves as its supposed to and switches off after 1 minute.

Do I have something mis configured or is this a bug?

Guest julians

ok, I've been on to Samsung and orange, they say its a problem with the hands free car kit , and that they cant/wont do anything about it. They say its up to the hands free manufacturer to make their hands free compatible with the phone rather than the other way round.

So, looks like I'll be sending this one back to orange, shame as it looked a reasonable device, although the lack of a hardware scroll button was also a major issue.

Just out of interest if anyone else has this problem, my car is a 2007 audi a3 with the built in bluetooth connectivity.

Guest moneytoo

It's definitely a flaw. I have the same experience. 

1. Every time I press a button on my BT watch, the screen goes on

2. Every time I select a folder to browse (via BT & WinCE driver for Total Commander), the screen goes on

...if Internet Sharing is active, the screen is off and no BT activity turns it on.

So if your BT device permanetly sends something to i780, the screen wont turn off. This bahaviour is the same on all Samsung devices I have tested (Blackjack I/II, i780, Omnia...). Although Samsung uses MS BT Stack, the drivers and power management is a lot different from other devices. I'm looking for some solution but I havent found anything yet.

Anyway, at least something works. You can use "Display switch" in app psShutXP (http://classic.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=16314) to force keep display off. 

Guest julians

thanks for that info, I will try that software.

It might be worth you calling samsung to describe your problem, because when I spoke to them they said I was the only person reporting this issue.

• 2 years later...
Guest ropiana

Hi,

I have installed the software (http://classic.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=16314) but the disadvantage of this one is that you have to set up the settings again and again if you want your display to turn off every after 30 seconds.

I already set the settings in start>setting>display and light>screen off time to 30seconds but its not working. I hope theres a solution to this problem because every time I received a message and I did not notice it, it keeps my display on and its really burning my phone, its very very hot. thanks.