Samsung i320 as modem

Guest l0g0killer

Guest l0g0killer

I am having trouble working out how to configure my i320 as a modem for my XP PC over the USB link. I have a few queries.

Samsung have a download called "Internet Access" which I have installed. The help for this application says that it is for use with a Samsung supplied serial cable: that sounds pretty unusual to still be using serial. Is it correct?

I have connected via USB and activesync'ed. I have allowed activesync to complete, then activated Modem Link (from Accessories). Why is only USB offered for "Connection", rather than USB, infrared and bluetooth, as I would expect?

Having activated the link, I have attempted to create a connection in Windows for use with the Samsung, but under modems nothing is listed for the Samsung: I have attempted to install the modem driver using the install program on the CD, but this makes no difference.

The manual does not provide any information on the actions required on a Windows PC in order to get a connection running. For a different brand of windows mobile smartphone I needed to run an application on the PC in order to connect, but this was specific to that brand. (As well as to create a dial up connection).

Has anyone done this? What are the steps needed?

Guest l0g0killer
I am having trouble working out how to configure my i320 as a modem for my XP PC over the USB link. I have a few queries.

Has anyone done this? What are the steps needed?

I have a solution, worked out by reading this article. (By the way it turned out I did not need to stop ActiveSync from attaching to USB as described in the article.)

To get the modem drivers onto your PC, run setup.exe from the E:\EXTRAS\DESKTOP\MITs USB Driver\Install folder on the "Getting Started Disc" CD-Rom.

Phone and PC should be disconnected. Activate Modem Link on USB, then connect your i320 to your PC, whereupon Windows will find new hardware, the USB modem.

The drivers were already on the hard disk, so Windows had no problem finding the drivers.

After the drivers are loaded, go to Network Connections from your Start menu and "Create a new connection".

Connect to the Internet - Next

Set up my connection Manually - Next

Connect using a dialup modem - Next

Type anything you like for "ISP Name". - Next

For Phone number enter "*99#" ignoring the quotes. - Next

Username and password are "vodafone" on the following tab.

I'd suggest you uncheck the tab for "make this the default Internet connection".

Test it with the "Dial" button, and you should now be able to connect.

For my purposes I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting data through my other network connections, so disabled my LAN connection whilst using the data through the vodafone connection.

Hope that helps someone.

l0g0killer

Edited by l0g0killer