Stolen number question

Guest shootydogthing

Guest shootydogthing

Basically, a few people i really don't get on with have got hold of my mobile number. They're saying that the way they got it was because I used a SIM they knew the number for in the same phone. If anyone understands this sort of thing, I'll put details bellow. It's kinda a general question which is why it's here

Phone: HTC Kaiser

SIMs: T-Mobile contract personal, O2 PAYG, for when I don't want my contract to be given out.

What they're saying is, they somehow used the O2 number to find out the T-Mobile number from my phone. They have never had access to the phone, I have never actually had a text or call on the O2 number.

I think it's bullshit but can somebody tell me for sure

Guest Neil5459

Sorry- are you trying to say that you are receiving calls on a 'private' number, and that the callers are saying they got the number from your use of another SIM in the same phone?

If so, I think thats total nonsense- a SIM cannot leave residual information in a phone because installing the next SIM would overwrite the information. The only scenraio I'd suggest was feasible would be if they had got clsoe enough to 'bluejack' your details via bluetooth.

Guest Neil5459
Yeah that's about right.

And I've never had bluetooth on near them, plus I'd have had to accept the transfer wouldn't I?

If your device was in Bluetooth/Discoverable mode, then it is possible for outsiders to obtain some information without your knowledge, but as Discoverable has to be enabled manually, you would have to have done so knowlingly.

Guest shootydogthing

There you go. I've never had it on near them anyway, unless they've passed me while I was listening to music and happened to have discoverable left on and managed to do it without me realising, and recognised me despite the fact they've hardly ever seen me unmasked...

Damnit >.< Now I have a difficult confrontation ahead of me >.<

Guest shootydogthing

Nope. These are people from Anonymous Anti-Scientology raids.

I'm not dumb enough to give my number out around them (and I certainly don't remember doing it), and they LIVE on the other side of Scotland from me so the chances of it happening elsewhere are slim.

Plus I only do calls like that in my house, I'm 15, I don't get many.

Guest shootydogthing

I think it was from the phone of my (now ex) girlfriend.

it had to be from her, she;s the only one they know who has it. When I confronted her on it, she denied it but either way my suspicion made me realise that perhaps I don't know her well enough... so we broke up

Damnit >.<

Guest Neil5459
I think it was from the phone of my (now ex) girlfriend.

it had to be from her, she;s the only one they know who has it. When I confronted her on it, she denied it but either way my suspicion made me realise that perhaps I don't know her well enough... so we broke up

Damnit >.<

That's definitely the most likely source- your privacy is only as strong as the weakest contact, and this one seems pretty weak espccially as she's an 'ex' :D

Is that particular number important to you? If not, you could always ask your operator to issue you a new number on the grounds that you are being harrassed on the current one?

Guest shootydogthing

She's only an ex since after it happened, but yeah her phone is still the weakest link. I just wanted to be 100% sure they were talking crap before confronting her: Seeing as it resulted in a break-up even though it wasn't really directly her fault.

and I guess it is, it's my number lol. It seems to have calmed down, but if it starts again I'll certainly be doing that >.<

Guest awarner (MVP)

The only other possible way I can think of without knowing the finer details of how it could actually be done, would be for the actual network to supply details of what SIMs have been used on a specific handset IMEI.

Unless one of these "other people" actually works for one of the networks it would be virtually impossible I would think to obtain this information any other way.

We did catch the MoDaCo raffle thief in a similar manner but we had the IMEI of the device.