Paul's complete guide to upgrading your Omnia to HH1, and what to do when things go wrong!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest IZIIZI
My device was Orange UK and i had to change my device to be of Singapore (in that of the stickie) said incorrect sofware version until i made this ammendment

did you do the full 17 steps or just flash the chaimd exe?

Guest Geronymous

Followed the HH1 instructions and it worked great! Thanks Paul and other contributors! :angry: :D :(

2 things were not exactly as in the instructions in my case:

17/18: after resetting the PDA the downloading started by itself, without having to press the button

19: after the waiting, when GrandPrix said everything was finished, nothing happened, so I switched on the PDA and then it rebooted (twice).

... in case other people experience the same...

Now let's try to get things working on my side... I don't know why but this afternoon, after receiving the PDA from FedEx, I was not able to connect to my Wifi router, not able to connect to GPRS/UMTS and not able to synchronize with Exchange/Outlook... I hope HH1 will at least solve by itself some of the problems! :D

Guest galinha

Just bought OMNIA today SGH I900 .

PDA :I900XCH65/BBHG6

PHONE :I900XXHG5

Its network locked. How to unlock its free or i have to pay ?

Can i flash it ?

Thnks a lot

Many thanks, Paul!

Hi Chaimd,

I was just wondering if it was possible to burn our own roms? I was wondering if you managed to remove the Chinese SIP from the H1 Rom.

If it was really possible, i think Shozu is another useless program i love to get rid of, among many others =p

Guest bobsbbq

Paul great instructions List. Only 2 comments, 1 I would add the link to the Incorrect software version in the steps. Some people will not read down the page. 2 About the click on start to begin upgrading. If the check box is checked to start downloading immediatly there will be no start button. As soon as the device is reset the download will begin instantly.

Great job and I hope it helps the community and prevent more bricked phones. I will recommend others to this post before flashing.

One more question does anybody know what improvements have been made or noticed in the G5 phone ROM? I'm still on G4 and unless there is something notable different I will wait for the H1.

Guest galinha
Just bought OMNIA today SGH I900 .

PDA :I900XCH65/BBHG6

PHONE :I900XXHG5

Its network locked. How to unlock its free or i have to pay ?

Can i flash it ?

Thnks a lot

I Flashed...and it work like a charm. Just don know if the phone now is unlocked. I have to do the simgapore trick...

Guest Geronymous

As written earlier, update to PDA-HH1/PHONE-HG5 went fine for me, and all the basics are working now (Wifi, Exchange Sync, Data connection, etc.)...

I have though a couple of questions/issues:

• Device Lock: with HG3 I could lock my phone by pressing and holding the hang-up button... now I can't anymore (it just refreshes the screen or something like that)... can anyone with HH1/HG5 try?
  • OGG: I had read in the specs that the Omnia was able to play OGG music files. Normally WMP is not able to deal with this open standard, so I expected TouchPlayer to be able to play OGG. To my surprise, TouchPlayer does NOT recognize OGG files, but WMP does! It works pretty ok, but it does NOT show tags, and when updating the libray, it crashes after 577 files or so. Anyone has noticed this as well?
  • A-GPS: if I understand it correctly, to get the satellite data, you need to enable XTRA and Auto Download in "Enhanced GPS"... correct? What is a reasonable Download Interval? In my Eten X800 I used to update automatically once a week, as I was getting 1 week data in advance.
  • Data Cell Connections: sometimes I get a "no data network" icon, while there is for sure a network (I know because when I force the connection by opening Internet Explorer or synchronizing email), the G or 3G icon appears... sometimes even the 3G+ (HSPDA). Could this be due to compatibility issues between PDA-HH1 and PHONE-HG5?
  • Finally: this is just feeling, but I had the impression that HG3 was as fast, maybe even faster, than HH1... other impressions?

For the rest, it is a great device so far! :D Looking forward to the next ROM upgrade...

Guest Paul (MVP)

Device lock - this is in the start -> settings -> buttons options

OGG - not used

A-GPS: I have just used the defaults

Data: I'm not getting this:

Speed: DEFINITELY faster for me than HG4 was!

:D

P

Guest Geronymous
Device lock - this is in the start -> settings -> buttons options

OGG - not used

A-GPS: I have just used the defaults

Data: I'm not getting this:

Speed: DEFINITELY faster for me than HG4 was!

:D

P

Thanks for replies, Paul!

Are you 100% sure your device still locks when you press and hold the End Call button? I also have that option ticked (and tried the other one -end data connection-, which works, and then put back to Lock), but still no luck. I am sure it worked in HG3...

I have hardly installed any SW so far (only Skype and a GPS viewer), so I don't see how there could be a SW conflict... :D

Could anyone else with HH1 also try?

Thanks in advance!

Guest puiumeu

Paul,

My Orange i900 just arrived and it has HG5 already, can I just proceed from step 7 or do I need to first put the HG5 update image on?

Thanks in advance.

Al.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Thanks for replies, Paul!

Are you 100% sure your device still locks when you press and hold the End Call button? I also have that option ticked (and tried the other one -end data connection-, which works, and then put back to Lock), but still no luck. I am sure it worked in HG3...

I have hardly installed any SW so far (only Skype and a GPS viewer), so I don't see how there could be a SW conflict... :D

Could anyone else with HH1 also try?

Thanks in advance!

DEFINITELY works, I just tried it :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul,

My Orange i900 just arrived and it has HG5 already, can I just proceed from step 7 or do I need to first put the HG5 update image on?

Thanks in advance.

Al.

Seems O UK people have just proceeded from step 7 with no ill effects...

P

Guest natzakaria

Running fine with no resets.

BTW what do u guys backup with ? SPB? Sprite?

I noticed that either with SPB or Sprite I get issues to the tune of Unable to read from file "\POCKETFS.SYS"

What does this mean?

Guest wkmmx500

Hallo Paul (and the guys who made it possible - chaimd for example)

Worked perfectly on my Omnia 16gb from Singapore (bought via expansys). Coming from G4 and it's a great improvement!

Thanks!!!!

Guest templeman01

I posted this on unclesomebody topic but thought I'd come here to get full coverage as currently stuck with Portugese software

Followed all steps up until running i900DXHH1_PDA_updater_xp, whenever i press the 'Verify Device' button i get the 'Incorrect Software Version' notification. I have tried several reboots/resets, I have a connected ActivSync connection and not sure what to try next....

....any suggestion grateful!

Thanks,

EDIT - Sorry i was a bit panicked, performed the incorrect version fix and it seems ok.

Edited by templeman01

Guest dtwoiski
Hi all,

I'm getting Port Create Failed at the top of Grand Prix.

now worried about what to do next!

help!

Hi, i had the same error once.. then i pressed reset button on device, and after rebooting, the program started flashing again with the same process. When reached PHONE flashing, i had success creating a COM port and then the whole proccess went smoothly.

You may try the same thing...

Att,

DT

Guest Gemmac

thanks DT before reading your post I did exactly that and it restarted in Portuguese so I hope it's working, but the last process was about to take place and surprise I need to charge the phone again, exactly the reason for doing this in the first place. Hopefully everything will run smoothly soon!

cheers for your reassurance!

xGem

Hi, i had the same error once.. then i pressed reset button on device, and after rebooting, the program started flashing again with the same process. When reached PHONE flashing, i had success creating a COM port and then the whole proccess went smoothly.

You may try the same thing...

Att,

DT

Guest Gemmac

think i better leave the pc running and charge it over night then, and try in the morning.

keep your fingers crossed all

xGem

thanks DT before reading your post I did exactly that and it restarted in Portuguese so I hope it's working, but the last process was about to take place and surprise I need to charge the phone again, exactly the reason for doing this in the first place. Hopefully everything will run smoothly soon!

cheers for your reassurance!

xGem

Guest peshinho
Many Thanks. I think this is what everyone (including me) wanted!

Great job Paul.

Booted first time flawlessly.

Before:

PDA: i900dxhg4

Phone: i900dxhg4

now:

PDA: i900dxhh1

Phone: i900xxhg5

many thankssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss