3 bump mobile broadband laptop from HP 530 to HP 550

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
550.png
3 have bumped their mobile broadband bundled laptop from the HP 530 to the higher spec HP 550!

Detailed here on the 3 site, the new 550 model - which is included without a cost bump over the previous model - features:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 120GB Hard Disk
  • Windows Vista Home Basic
  • 15.4" WXGA bright view display

My pick of the bundles is the HP 550 + black E169 18 month 5GB / £35 p/m... with a total term cost of £630.

Arguably the overall term cost is still slightly too high, but I know the machines are selling like hot cakes to those who are looking for a laptop and broadband with a small up front investment. Thoughts?

P

Guest Mysterious Stranger
550.png
3 have bumped their mobile broadband bundled laptop from the HP 530 to the higher spec HP 550!

Detailed here on the 3 site, the new 550 model - which is included without a cost bump over the previous model - features:

• Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 120GB Hard Disk
  • Windows Vista Home Basic
  • 15.4" WXGA bright view display

My pick of the bundles is the http://login.3-mobile-affiliate.com/z/5520/CD699 HP 550 + black E169 18 month 5GB / £35 p/m... with a total term cost of £630.

Arguably the overall term cost is still slightly too high, but I know the machines are selling like hot cakes to those who are looking for a laptop and broadband with a small up front investment. Thoughts?

P

Still seems pricey. I bought a 530 from eBuyer about 5 weeks ago for £249 inc.

So how many commisions from the affilaite link before you can buy one outright without a contract Paul? Contract commisions are what, £100? :D

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

So how many commisions from the affilaite link before you can buy one outright without a contract Paul? Contract commisions are what, £100? :D

M.S

I note from their affilate terms their cookies last for FORTY FIVE DAYS.

Seems a bit shady to me for a 'news' posting.

M.S

Guest mcwarre

M.S

MS

If you don't like the link go through quidco or similar and get the cashback yourself. There is no need to be agressive.

Guest Paul (MVP)

M.S

Don't want one, my missus already uses the Compaq equivalent and I am happy with my Wind :D

Contract commission - how is that relevant?

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
I note from their affilate terms their cookies last for FORTY FIVE DAYS.

Seems a bit shady to me for a 'news' posting.

M.S

Why?

It was sent to me by PR, and I think it's of interest. IMHO the Mobile Broadband market is pretty active right now.

Wish 3 would upgrade from the HP Mininote to a netbook with a bit more guts, the Via proc on that is a bit slow. Tons better than the crappy webbook CPW are offering tho allegedly!

P

Contract commission - how is that relevant?

P

You said yourself overall it's still not great value yet proceed to skim off the top and call it news! From experience resellers who sell 3 products get high commision and will cut it down drastically if pressed. Affilates are unable to do this so the buyer is not able to negotiate a better deal.

Why?

It was sent to me by PR, and I think it's of interest. IMHO the Mobile Broadband market is pretty active right now.

P

Nice of them to take the time to insert your affilate links for you. Same with the eXpansys cookies - even just for LOOKING at your 'hey look at this clickthrough link' I get saddled with a long expiry date cookie until I clear them all - which can be a pain - so rather than getting a good deal myself you get commision on ANYTHING I subsequently buy from either places whether directly from your link or not. And yes, some expansys prices ARE lower without the modaco cookie, but their pricing system is bobbins anyway.

Lastly, I think it's valid to post links with affiliate links because my family likes to eat :D

P

Fair enough, but maybe with more transparency and not dressed up as news. An add that earns you commision prompted by a press release isn't really news ( despite the tumbleweeds that are blowing through mobiholics!) .

Listing the offer, spec, and terms THEN with a link stating it earns you commision rather than inserting an affilaite code without mentioning it might be the way forward for a trusted website...

You ask for 'thoughts' about the deal, and anyone wishing to comment would need to click the link even if they weren't in the market for broadband.But they might want a new phone in 2 weeks. I have no problem with commisions EARNT through telling me about a great deal etc but persistant cookies? Sneaky....

Guest Paul (MVP)

Good deal or not it IS news... and it IS a good deal for some people, I have a friend for example who recently signed up for a similar deal, as they couldn't afford the initial outlay on buying a laptop.

You definitely seem to have a thing about jumping on affiliate links, what can I say! Maybe we should mark them as [aff] or something, if that would make you feel better!

I've not seen things cheaper on eXpansys' site without using the MoDaCo link personally, so that's news to me. You like to have a moan about our expansys links and their site etc., but don't seem to have a problem using the vouchers I personally spend time negotiating and setting up?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose!

P

Good deal or not it IS news... and it IS a good deal for some people, I have a friend for example who recently signed up for a similar deal, as they couldn't afford the initial outlay on buying a laptop.

You definitely seem to have a thing about jumping on affiliate links, what can I say! Maybe we should mark them as [aff] or something, if that would make you feel better!

I've not seen things cheaper on eXpansys' site without using the MoDaCo link personally, so that's news to me. You like to have a moan about our expansys links and their site etc., but don't seem to have a problem using the vouchers I personally spend time negotiating and setting up?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose!

P

[Aff.] Is a good idea. TBH the amount of expansys sales / vouchers I use, the modaco ones make no difference - I have 20+ codes valid until the end of September on my desk from previous purchases from the last fortnight - I had assumed they would track modaco codes back and earn you commision - now that I don't mind.

M.S

Guest Paul (MVP)

Incidentally, interested to see which products are cheaper directly on the expansys site as opposed to thru our links, that shouldn't be the case.

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.