Rom upgrade questions

Guest coolcarrot

Guest coolcarrot

Just trying to upgrade the rom on my mda compact iv - successfully upgraded to Hard SPL - but stuck on the folllowing: (using guide on www.modmydiamond.info)

1. Not sure if I should upgrade the radio - there was a warning saying "no signed Radio ROMs so you must have unsigned Hard-SPL to flash one (at your own risk!)" :D Are there any benefits to doing this - I have just flashed a signed Hard SPL - do I need to flash another unsigned Hard SPL as stated above?

2. Upgrading ROM - warning message stating "Before proceeding to flash a new ROM on your device, take note of the following: You will lose all installed programs" - does this mean the loss of every pre-loaded program - active sync, adobe, album, audio booster ...........windows media, word, zip etc? :D

If so, are these available anywhere else to re-load.

Waiting patiently for any help.

Thanks

1. Some radios allegedly perform better. You need to check the "readme" for the radio in question.

2. ROMS will have some applications with them. Again you need to have a look at the "readme" for the ROM in question to see what's included, as some ROMS are stripped down for performance. Dutty's ROM for example will list applications, and whether they are uninstallable.

Guest coolcarrot
1. Some radios allegedly perform better. You need to check the "readme" for the radio in question.

2. ROMS will have some applications with them. Again you need to have a look at the "readme" for the ROM in question to see what's included, as some ROMS are stripped down for performance. Dutty's ROM for example will list applications, and whether they are uninstallable.

Thanks SSR

just looked at Duttys ROM - and got scared lol - warning on there saying "Before Flashing Please ensure You have UN_Signed HARDSPL install on device this will ensure your device wont get bricked" :D

and when I checked out the unsigned HardSPL, it said "recommended for ROM Cookers and Developers only" and I just don't see myself as a ROM cooker or developer - would hate to have my new phone end up an expensive paperweight

So trying the TLR ROM with finger crossed

But still welcome any advice

On the one hand there's a bit of an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach - I'm using HTC's 1.93 ROM.

On the other hand though it's not that big a deal to reflash the phone, other than having to reinstall apps and restore data. Particularly if an updated / cooked ROM gives you a benefit.

Guest kaushj
warning on there saying "Before Flashing Please ensure You have UN_Signed HARDSPL install on device this will ensure your device wont get bricked" :D

Hardspl should be flashed first so that while trying to flash another rom you accidently mess up, you can start again from the begining so that your phone wont get bricked.

There are 2 versions of hardspl - signed and unsigned.

WHen u flash with the signed, it will only allow Roms which have been properly tested and signed to be used. This is a safety feature so that your Diamond wont get messed up.

The unsigned hardspl is a version which allows any rom to be flashed.Sometimes quite unsafe.

To install most signed roms you still need unsigned hardspl.

But you should only use the Roms recomended in the XDA-Developers site, they have been tested and approved.

Go here for all your Rom needs