T- Mobile MDA Compact IV - recall?

Guest wertyu

Guest FatBloke23

Just got off the phone to the T-Mobile upgrade people -- the lovely Julianne informed me that it was out of stock 'til September 4th, but that I'd get a call then.

She's lovely because, not only did she say I could have an MDA Compact IV for nothing, retaining my £32.50/month Flext 30 + WnW deal, but she even offered to knock it down to £30/month :D

This compares to my local T-Mobile shop, who offered me one there and then for £80 on the same contract, or "free" if I opened a U-Fix SIM with something like £40 credit on it for the month. *sigh* After they gave me such a good deal on my Compact III 20 months ago :D

Edited by FatBloke23

Guest tmohammad

Voda UK have released a ROM upgrade and I understand that the O2 version comes with 1.93 ROM and 05 radio out otf the box! Orange & TMob seem to be dragging their heals.

Come on T MOB... do the honourable thing and sort out your phones!!!!

T-Mob tech services sent me this email:

Subject: Compact 4 ROM Update

Hi There

I have spoke with the escalations team who are looking into weather or not he HTC rom would invalidate the warranty as we don’t have any immediate plans (that generally stretches 3 months) to release one.

Regards

Edited by tmohammad

Yep I dont believe I was spun a line because I asked for that phone and they immediately told me about the recall/software issue. I wasn't putting words in their mouths and tried to delve for more details. I will call them on 4th September if they have not called me before then.

Guest jimbouk
I assume you work for tmobile to have access this kind of information, but something doesnt ring true.

I didnt badger anyone I spke to tech support a couple of times, direct sales once from a landline and the local store, only tech support would have known it was the same person calling.

also other posters have recieved the same reply from various departments.

sales dept confirmed there was a batch sent back so if no fault why send the batch back?

Direct sales seemed to know less and hence the differing stories but the on confirmed thing was that the stock in the warehouse had to be sent back, as to why depends on what agent you speak too.

Tech support were a lot more helpful and would have access to this kind of information, they seemed fairly adamant about the issue, she mentioned rom updates,htc etc I never said anything so she was aware of a situation if the customer services are as dumb as you make out how did she have access to this kind of  information.

The software is faulty its based on the 1.37 HTC rom which htc themselves have admitted to being crap, perhaps tmobile wont issue an update but htc and vodafone have so why shouldnt tmobile?

You have to remember the comoact iv is more than the usual windows mobile, its being heavily promoted by tmobile both online and instore, its one of the best selling devices on the network at the moment.

So perhaps I was spun a line but in that case so have lots of other people. Perhaps they wont issue an update if they dont then the handset is a waste of time without flashing a cooked rom.

I think the best approach is to wait and see, if more stock arrives next week and wertyu gets one and it has a new rom we will at least know that a new rom kicks about even if tmob dont distribute it.

If you do work for tmob perhaps finding some concrete proof for us might help

But its lies to say the software isnt faulty its a poor rom that makes an excellent device run slow and buggy.

Jeez...

When the networks "buy" a handset from HTC, they take delivery in batches and test them. If there are any problems with their testing, they send them back. That is all that has happened. The next batch is obvsious arriving soon.

Guest andybarker

Just called Retentions again - put myself on the waiting list. They still don't have any date for expecting their delivery.

Off on holiday next week, so see what happens whilst i'm away.

Guest stevej26uk

Just an update for you guys, just got off the phone to tmobile about a different issue  (broadband) but mentioned the problems with the compact iv, she said the phone has been a nightmare and has one of the highest returns of any handset, do despite neing over my 28 days they will exchange my handset as soon as new stock arrives (probably next week) they hope future stock will have had an update applied although they cant confirm this for sure, but they are aware of the issues with the compact iv and hence the shaortage of stock she even offered me a different handset but neither the  vario 4 or omnia are available so im left waiting for more stock of the compact lets hope it ships with the 1.93 rom or better.

Guest andybarker

Just got SMS from T-Mobile, my phone should be with me tomorrow for 1pm :D

Guess the date of the 4th that was quoted to others turned out to be true. Yay

So I will have my new toy the day before going on hols :D Hope I have enough time to install all my favorite apps before we go.

Guest FatBloke23
Just got SMS from T-Mobile, my phone should be with me tomorrow for 1pm :D

Guess the date of the 4th that was quoted to others turned out to be true. Yay

Yep. The lovely Julianne called me yesterday (the 3rd!) to arrange delivery, and I should have a lovely Compact IV waiting for me when I get home from work tonight...or at least a delivery slip telling me to head to the local sorting office.

Yep. The lovely Julianne called me yesterday (the 3rd!) to arrange delivery, and I should have a lovely Compact IV waiting for me when I get home from work tonight...or at least a delivery slip telling me to head to the local sorting office.

Yeah, I got a call from Alison 20 mins ago. Mine is due by 1pm Tomorrow also! Any questions you have let me know and I'll answer tomorrow afternoon.

Guest stevej26uk

Got a message as well to say exchange was coming tommorow between 8 and 1pm ( it wont i live in the highlands so always an extra day which means monday lol) 

Really hoping it has the new rom on it, I know its easy enough to flash another rom from xda but I dont have the money to risk invalidating my warranty so prefer to run the stock rom.

Anyone received a compact iv today ? has it got new rom?

Spoke to a mate who works for the local retaill tmobile store, he said the compact 4 has been the most popular mda ever but a real pain for returns due to the software.

Come on tmob lets have a new rom on the latest batches of stock.

Guess all will be revealed.

Guest FatBloke23
Really hoping it has the new rom on it, I know its easy enough to flash another rom from xda but I dont have the money to risk invalidating my warranty so prefer to run the stock rom.

Anyone received a compact iv today ? has it got new rom?

Negative, Ghostrider.

I've spent most of the evening playing with my brand new Compact IV...and it's not updated:

ROM: 1.37.110.3 WWE

Radio: 1.00.25.03

Looks like I'll just have to do it all manually when I've got some time.

No YouTube client, but I'm not sure it was meant to be there.

Definite wow factor from housemates, one of whom's got a pretty new Sony Ericsson smartphone. Teeter is AWESOME, and the later levels being based on the Diamond's back would be even better if played on a proper Diamond!

As far as case goes (yes, I know there's another thread about that), it comes with a little grey fleecey purse. Nice enough...but I fear that, by the time the thing's out of my pocket and freed of its sock, I'll have missed a call or three.

Anyone know where I can find a replacement stylus that doubles as a pen? The one I have for my Artemis has proved seriously handy over the last year or so.

Negative, Ghostrider.

I've spent most of the evening playing with my brand new Compact IV...and it's not updated:

ROM: 1.37.110.3 WWE

Radio: 1.00.25.03

Looks like I'll just have to do it all manually when I've got some time.

No YouTube client, but I'm not sure it was meant to be there.

Definite wow factor from housemates, one of whom's got a pretty new Sony Ericsson smartphone. Teeter is AWESOME, and the later levels being based on the Diamond's back would be even better if played on a proper Diamond!

As far as case goes (yes, I know there's another thread about that), it comes with a little grey fleecey purse. Nice enough...but I fear that, by the time the thing's out of my pocket and freed of its sock, I'll have missed a call or three.

Anyone know where I can find a replacement stylus that doubles as a pen? The one I have for my Artemis has proved seriously handy over the last year or so.

Thats right its ROM: 1.37.110.3 WWE

Does anyone know where i can get a newer ROM and how messy it is to do?

Guest deadphill

There is no Youtube app as T-mobile opted for some reason to remove this from their ROM.

It is very rare, if ever I stick with the operator ROM. There is always something more to be gained by having a different rom than t-mobiles, even if its only for a different colour scheme!

Cheers

Phill

Guest stevej26uk
Thats right its ROM: 1.37.110.3 WWE

Does anyone know where i can get a newer ROM and how messy it is to do?

Head over to xda developers and check out the diamond forum, theres plenty of advice and step by step instructions, remember it will proSPAMbly invalidate your warranty, ive flashed both my previous tmob device the touch and vario 3 with htc roms and they are so much better for it.

Very dissapointed with tmobile for not shipping the new batch with a newer rom, just about everyone I spoke to at tmobile has admitteed to the compact iv software to be full of bugs.

The length of time it was out of stock gave them more than enough time to work with htc to get the 1.93 rom out.

Wonder if there are any subtle software changes , mine hasnt arrived yet and wont until monday (just checked with the courier).

From what you guys have posted its is still the same rom version any difference in rom date ?

I'm assuming the battery is still 950 mah as well.

Seems tmobile have changed nothing, unless there has been a hardware change unlikey as the flaws are mostly software.

They freely admit the compact iv is underperforming yet do nothing about it  :D

My exchange seems a bit of a waste of time now, oh well never mind at least I will have a shiny new handset  :D

Head over to xda developers and check out the diamond forum, theres plenty of advice and step by step instructions, remember it will proSPAMbly invalidate your warranty, ive flashed both my previous tmob device the touch and vario 3 with htc roms and they are so much better for it.

Very dissapointed with tmobile for not shipping the new batch with a newer rom, just about everyone I spoke to at tmobile has admitteed to the compact iv software to be full of bugs.

The length of time it was out of stock gave them more than enough time to work with htc to get the 1.93 rom out.

Wonder if there are any subtle software changes , mine hasnt arrived yet and wont until monday (just checked with the courier).

From what you guys have posted its is still the same rom version any difference in rom date ?

I'm assuming the battery is still 950 mah as well.

Seems tmobile have changed nothing, unless there has been a hardware change unlikey as the flaws are mostly software.

They freely admit the compact iv is underperforming yet do nothing about it  :D

My exchange seems a bit of a waste of time now, oh well never mind at least I will have a shiny new handset  :D

Thanks Steve, I just upgraded mine to v1.93. Less than an hour of recieving it. Seems to be o!

Guest vii_voo

Just spoke to T-Mobile about Compact IV. The upgrade dept told me it had been stopped for a while and they've sorted out the overheat problem which was affecting the battery life. He couldn't give me any more details. Also, he said the Vario IV not expected until the 4th quarter.

Guest Fleabag
I didnt badger anyone I spke to tech support a couple of times, direct sales once from a landline and the local store, only tech support would have known it was the same person calling. also other posters have recieved the same reply from various departments.

That's fair enough, but I still stand by the fact that you are being given the answer you want to hear simply because they don't have the answer to give you. It's easier for them to say "yes it's being recalled" than spending time on the phone with you trying to find an answer that just isn't available for them to find. These guys work on a plethora of performance related stats, they don't want to put you on hold if they can help it, and they want you off the phone in a couple of minutes if they can help it... Just like every other call centre worldwide.

sales dept confirmed there was a batch sent back so if no fault why send the batch back?

X amount of handsets in every batch are tested, and if Y amount of X are deemed to be below standard the entire batch is sent back. It isn't a recall. When was the last time you heard of ANY phone being recalled (i.e. users being told to return their' units for a replacement).

Direct sales seemed to know less and hence the differing stories but the on confirmed thing was that the stock in the warehouse had to be sent back, as to why depends on what agent you speak too.

Exactly, it depends who you speak to.

Tech support were a lot more helpful and would have access to this kind of information, they seemed fairly adamant about the issue, she mentioned rom updates,htc etc I never said anything so she was aware of a situation if the customer services are as dumb as you make out how did she have access to this kind of  information.

Hey, I never said anyone was dumb - these guys work really hard. I just said that they're under pressure to resolve your query but aren't given the required information to do so properly. Most handsets from all manufacturers get ROM updates at some point, this is a bog standard response for INSERT ISSUE HERE with INSERT HANDSET HERE. It's nothing unique to the Compact.

The software is faulty its based on the 1.37 HTC rom which htc themselves have admitted to being crap, perhaps tmobile wont issue an update but htc and vodafone have so why shouldnt tmobile?

Because issuing new ROMs costs money. It's a last resort. I'm not saying it won't ever happen, I'm just saying that at the time of my original post there were no plans for it.

You have to remember the comoact iv is more than the usual windows mobile, its being heavily promoted by tmobile both online and instore, its one of the best selling devices on the network at the moment.

Simply not true. It has a tiny market share compared to the top handsets from other manufacturers.

So perhaps I was spun a line but in that case so have lots of other people. Perhaps they wont issue an update if they dont then the handset is a waste of time without flashing a cooked rom.

Welcome to the reality of customer service from the majority of call centres. I wouldn't say it's a waste of time without a ROM update - it works perfectly fine, I know several people using it without complaints - what you mean is that advanced users who are aware of ROM updates want to benefit from these changes too and suddenly see their device in a different light when they know it has the potential to be more.

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Fleabag
I think the best approach is to wait and see, if more stock arrives next week and wertyu gets one and it has a new rom we will at least know that a new rom kicks about even if tmob dont distribute it. But its lies to say the software isnt faulty its a poor rom that makes an excellent device run slow and buggy.

The only reason for the delay in stock is that T-Mobile consistantly seems to misforcast the demand for handsets. There have been far longer waiting times for phones from Samsung, Nokia and Sony in the past. Take the Tocco for example, some people have been waiting over a month for them. It may be a poor ROM (in some peoples eyes) but I wouldn't say it was faulty. Worked perfectly fine for me for weeks.

Just got off the phone to the T-Mobile upgrade people -- the lovely Julianne informed me that it was out of stock 'til September 4th, but that I'd get a call then.

She's lovely because, not only did she say I could have an MDA Compact IV for nothing, retaining my £32.50/month Flext 30 + WnW deal, but she even offered to knock it down to £30/month :wacko:

Sounds to me like they've simply moved you to the new version of the price plan. WNW is now £5 when built into a plan rather than £7.50. I imagine you are now paying for voicemail @ 12p/min and your minimum call charge is now 20p rather than 5p. On the plus side you should be getting £140 of Flext credit rather than £90. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty certain I'm right. I'd check it out if I were you.

T-Mob tech services sent me this email:

Subject: Compact 4 ROM Update

Hi There

I have spoke with the escalations team who are looking into weather or not he HTC rom would invalidate the warranty as we don’t have any immediate plans (that generally stretches 3 months) to release one.

Regards

'Weather'? Are you sure that came from T-Mobile, they generally use scripts for email responses and that's a pretty poor spelling mistake. Altering the ROM invalidates warranty, unless it's an official network sourced ROM update - fact - so not sure why they didn't just tell you so. There's also no such thing as an 'escalations team'.

Yep I dont believe I was spun a line because I asked for that phone and they immediately told me about the recall/software issue. I wasn't putting words in their mouths and tried to delve for more details. I will call them on 4th September if they have not called me before then.

It's called cross-selling. If you don't have a phone in stock that a customer wants, offer an alternative. Bad mouth the phone the customer wants in order to get them to take an alkternative.

Jeez...

When the networks "buy" a handset from HTC, they take delivery in batches and test them. If there are any problems with their testing, they send them back. That is all that has happened. The next batch is obvsious arriving soon.

Spot on my friend.

Just an update for you guys, just got off the phone to tmobile about a different issue (broadband) but mentioned the problems with the compact iv, she said the phone has been a nightmare and has one of the highest returns of any handset, do despite neing over my 28 days they will exchange my handset as soon as new stock arrives (probably next week) they hope future stock will have had an update applied although they cant confirm this for sure, but they are aware of the issues with the compact iv and hence the shaortage of stock she even offered me a different handset but neither the vario 4 or omnia are available so im left waiting for more stock of the compact lets hope it ships with the 1.93 rom or better.

Again, not true in respect to the 'highest returns ever'. And I hope you aren't disappointed when you call to arrange your exchange, as out of 28 days exchange is pratcically unheard of. They certainly wouldn't offe rit without a fight.

They freely admit the compact iv is underperforming yet do nothing about it ;)

Again, it's just a matter of who you speak to. 'T-Mobile' doesn't freely admit anything of the sort, it's the person on the end of the phone who likely has never used one of these phones.

Just spoke to T-Mobile about Compact IV. The upgrade dept told me it had been stopped for a while and they've sorted out the overheat problem which was affecting the battery life. He couldn't give me any more details. Also, he said the Vario IV not expected until the 4th quarter.

It hasn't been stopped in any way shape or form. They acknowledge the battery issue (just as in every other world variant of this phone) but the unit is perfectly safe. They've had plenty of stock in the last week, I ordered one for a friend today. And Vairo IV Q4? Another line... It's due this month.

Edited by Fleabag

Guest stevej26uk
It may be a poor ROM (in some peoples eyes) but I wouldn't say it was faulty. Worked perfectly fine for me for weeks.

It's called cross-selling. If you don't have a phone in stock that a customer wants, offer an alternative. Bad mouth the phone the customer wants in order to get them to take an alkternative.

Again, not true in respect to the 'highest returns ever'. And I hope you aren't disappointed when you call to arrange your exchange, as out of 28 days exchange is pratcically unheard of. They certainly wouldn't offe rit without a fight.

Again, it's just a matter of who you speak to. 'T-Mobile' doesn't freely admit anything of the sort, it's the person on the end of the phone who likely has never used one of these phones.

It hasn't been stopped in any way shape or form. They acknowledge the battery issue (just as in every other world variant of this phone) but the unit is perfectly safe. They've had plenty of stock in the last week, I ordered one for a friend today. And Vairo IV Q4? Another line... It's due this month.

The Rom is dreadful everyone knows it. Hence why all the other other networks selling the diamond are now shipping their handsets with the 1.93 rom, orange havent issued an update and may never but recent stock has the 1.93 rom.

Same with voda and o2 and of course the generic htc version, only t-mob are shipping out handsets with the 1.37 rom, is it too much to ask for the networks to issue rom upgrades?

Havent been cross sold any product when I phoned asked for the compact iv wasnt in stock, they didnt try to sell me anything else simply phone back next week hardly an example of cross selling is it?

I didnt say highest returns ever, im sure other handsets have had much higher returns, simply that I was told that the handset has had a very high level of returns.

Dissapointed to arrange my exchange????

as you can see from the thread they sent another exchange, it arrived on monday actually, and I was 1 day over the 28 days but they made an exception and sent me another replacement, no fight no hassle in fact I was very impressed.

So I dont know where you got the information from about being to hard exchange more than once, my friend has also in the past exchanged a handset several times (n95). Tmobile are actually one of the best companys for exchanges.

I have to admit you were right the new batch doesnt have a newer rom, so it looks like tmob wont be releasing one in the near future.

And yes as with all all centres its a matter of who you speak too.

Vario 4 end of month hope soon due an upgrade on my second line then !!

Now dont get me wrong im not starting an argument, but you made several statements that simply are not true.

the exchange one being a prime example.

I was also wrong tmobile didnt issue a rom upgrade and whatever caused the stock shortage fault or no fault they didnt issue a new rom on new stock.

The Rom is dreadful everyone knows it. Hence why all the other other networks selling the diamond are now shipping their handsets with the 1.93 rom, orange havent issued an update and may never but recent stock has the 1.93 rom.

Same with voda and o2 and of course the generic htc version, only t-mob are shipping out handsets with the 1.37 rom, is it too much to ask for the networks to issue rom upgrades?

Dreadful? Everyone knows it? Assumptions. As I say, worked fine for me and a number of others and didn't crash on me once. But I appreciate your opinion - I can understand you may not have liked it, and that's fair enough.

Havent been cross sold any product when I phoned asked for the compact iv wasnt in stock, they didnt try to sell me anything else simply phone back next week hardly an example of cross selling is it?

I think you've missed my point a few times. What I'm trying to say is the people you are talking to about the phone a) know nothing about it and :wacko: have probably never even seen one. They are just talking crap because they don't know what else to say! The fact that you were told to call back, and not offered an alternative (even though I appreciate you would have declined) in itself shows whoever you were speaking to was borderline retarded - they could have just offered to call you back or offered a different model and they would have got the sale and comission.

I didnt say highest returns ever, im sure other handsets have had much higher returns, simply that I was told that the handset has had a very high level of returns.

OK if we're going to be pedeantic about exact words you said "highest returns of any handset", which in my book is pretty much the same as "highest returns ever". Which is just not true.

Dissapointed to arrange my exchange????

as you can see from the thread they sent another exchange, it arrived on monday actually, and I was 1 day over the 28 days but they made an exception and sent me another replacement, no fight no hassle in fact I was very impressed.

So I dont know where you got the information from about being to hard exchange more than once, my friend has also in the past exchanged a handset several times (n95). Tmobile are actually one of the best companys for exchanges.

Again, fair enough - but contrary to T-Mobile's policy and my experience.

Vario 4 end of month hope soon due an upgrade on my second line then !!

I was tempted too but it's too much of a fatty for my liking, now I'm used to my skinny Compact IV. ;)

Now dont get me wrong im not starting an argument, but you made several statements that simply are not true.

Neither do I, but I have to disagree, none of what I have said is untrue. There are always exceptions to the rule, such as if your fault cannot be repaired - if they know it can't fix it they are of course going to exchange it rather than attempt a repair... Or if the person you speak to simply doesn't do their' job properly. Sounds to me like this is the situation in your case. I can understand getting 2 exchanges, but 3? You've cost them around £1250 - just doesn't seem logical when that they didn't even look at the handset to try and fix it before giving you a brand new unit. But alas, we aren't going to agree on this one and I don't want to argue - I do believe you, I just don't understand how it was possible.

Guest FatBloke23

Sounds to me like they've simply moved you to the new version of the price plan. WNW is now £5 when built into a plan rather than £7.50. I imagine you are now paying for voicemail @ 12p/min and your minimum call charge is now 20p rather than 5p. On the plus side you should be getting £140 of Flext credit rather than £90. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty certain I'm right. I'd check it out if I were you.

Cheers for the reply -- spotted the £140 vs £90 thing this lunchtime, as it happens.

I rarely go above my allowance anyway, so the 20p thing shouldn't be too bad, esp. if my allowance is higher. Meh.

Either way, better than forking out £80 for the phone.

I have been complaining to T-Mobile about the bugs, etc with MDA Compact IV software so they decided to send me a replacement handset this week. However no software upgrade so exchange was pointless. Will keep at them when same problems continue with replacement handset.

Guest captainsensible

We've just had a fresh batch of Compact IV's delivered to work, and the one I'm playing with is getting very hot, so tempted to say that T-Mobile might, just might, have been talking shite. Again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VicSmurf
I have been complaining to T-Mobile about the bugs, etc with MDA Compact IV software so they decided to send me a replacement handset this week. However no software upgrade so exchange was pointless. Will keep at them when same problems continue with replacement handset.

So what kind of bugs did you find? I got mine today it is not getting real hot but hot and I find de TouchFlow smooth. It has the old 1.37 firmware on it but until now no problems. Offcourse I always want to upgrade to the newest firmware but what is improved? Is there a option to still use the T-Mobile Theme?

Also...the MDA Compact IV I have has YouTube pre-installed (but not in ROM).