I900 3G in the US

Guest pidsw

Guest saznpins

Doesn't Best Buy sell the Diamond unlocked? Wonder what their return policy is B) If I can find the time I would be willing to go and buy one to get the settings you're looking for and then just return the durn thing... I'm on AT&T too and I have a grandfathered super cheap plan and I've been out of contract for years so I'm not switching to Verizon or anyone else.

If only finding a spare moment to go over to Best Buy and look for one wasn't such big deal for me... but between working, my 19 month old and 3 year old boys, and Thanksgiving coming in a few days with everyone and their dog coming to my house that I need to shop and cook for. B)

So, no promises but I will TRY to get over to BB sometime this week if I can (just hope they have some in stock!) I will also put out a message to see if anyone in the community at the University I work for happens to have one and can get me the info. Since I'm the support for Windows Mobile devices on campus if anyone had one I would probably get a response.

What settings exactly are you looking for Apo11on and TurbOwned?

Edited by saznpins

Guest Turb0wned

You know if best buy has one on display i can go over there right now and look at it. The only thing is i need to know exactly how to get the the screen we need.

Guest Turb0wned
You can check stock online at BB, I just looked but unfortunately the closest store to me that has any is in NY (Staten Island) <_< bummer.

I went by best buy just now. The display Diamond they have is just that a display not the real phone lol. But i did ask for you about there return policy on the unlocked phones and they said you have 30 days and there is no fee.

Guest jakeordie
I would guess that the fastest path to 3G on the I900 is one of:

Rip apart an I907 ROM, combine it with an I900 ROM. The hardware is almost the same internally and the Kitchen is almost compatible. The ROM formats are identical. This is an AT&T Phone and there is a kitchen for it.

Check out this link;

FCC approves i907 Epix

Now open the "Internal Photos" PDF and take a close look at page 3. Looks like the Qualcomm RTR6285, the same transceiver that is in the Omnia.

Now check out this link;

i907 ROM thread on XDA forum

and see the link for Epix AT&T ROM dump http://miiwiichat.com/upload/path/EpixRomDump.rar

I think Samsung originally intended the i907 designation for the Omnia, but some bureaucratic red tape changed their plans. So instead they rolled out the Epix (which logically would be designated i787) to fill the void, and used the same hardware platform as they had intended for the i907 Omnia. This is the most logical theory I have for the whole Omnia/Mirage/Epix nonsense.

So let's pull the radio ROM from the Epix dump and cook it into an Omnia ROM, and compare the settings apo11on referenced to the Epix rather than the HTC Diamond. If someone more technically inclined than me KNOWS FOR SURE why this won't work, please explain. Can someone cook an Omnia ROM using the Epix radio linked above. And can someone confirm the Epix does in fact use the RTR6285 transceiver. I'll go to AT&T and get the Epix settings using apo11on's codes and report back.

Edited by jakeordie

Guest jakeordie
I'm starting to believe it might actually be possible to tweak existing radio firmware to unlock UMTS 850/1900Mhz bands using already embedded secret debug menu from Samsung developers, rather than having to dump it, reverse it, patch and flash back. Here is the secret code to access Root Debug Menu on Omnia: *#197328640#

(All the sub-menus are also accessible directly using similar codes. I've posted rapidshare link to a couple of files that contain those codes, as well as very useful

registry tweaks, at the end of this post. Please mirror it, as I used free rapidshare account, good for only 10 downloads)

Anyway, option #4 "UMTS rf nv" has sub-option "umts rf nv write", which I think allows to modify the active UMTS bands in the radio. Assuming we have that set correctly, option #9 "Common" from the same Root Debug Menu has sub-option #5 "WCDMA Set Channel", which allows to specify downlink channel range.

Ok, I went to AT&T and got the settings from their i907 Epix. This is a quad-band GSM/tri-band UMTS phone on AT&T's 3G network.

The settings under #9 "Common" < #5 "WCDMA Set Channel" are identical. Option #4 "UMTS rf nv" has 4 additional options, so the menu looks like this;

[1] UMTS rf nv read

[2] UMTS rf nv write

[3] WCDMA800 rf nv read

[4] WCDMA800 rf nv write

[5] WCDMA1900 rf nv read

[6] WCDMA1900 rf nv write

The menu under all 6 options is identical to the Omnia. In the guise of a potential Epix buyer, I did not have the opportunity to copy the settings under each option. One other code I used was *#2263# "Band Select" which uses bandsel.exe in Windows Mobile. The Epix menu looks like this;

[1] Automatic [*]

[2] WCDMA band preference

[3] GSM band preference

Selecting [2] gives the following menu;

[1] WCDMA 850

[2] WCDMA 1900

[3] WCDMA IMT 2000

[4] WDCMA only

I assume the *#2263# code lets the Epix user select any combination of GSM and WCDMA frequencies (with the option of disabling either entirely) in addition to the automatic option. Regarding the *#197328640# code, the "read" and "write" options refer to send & receive...there is no option to change these settings within the menu. Where exactly can these settings be changed apo11on? Does this require cooking a ROM or perhaps hacking Omnia registry settings?

Edited by jakeordie

if you can afford to buy phones like omnia you can definitly afford to pay get out of contract penalty, it wont be nearly as much. I have AT&T contract too and I have no problem breaking it if I have to.

Oh, and you didn't call me by my user name - you misspelled it and that's why I said what I said.

Sorry Apo11on, that was a typo! My Bad.

As for being able to afford the cancellation penalty - I can. But I'd rather keep a GSM phone as I travel to Europe quite often and have a plan in France as well using 2100MHz for 3G...

I'm really happy progress is being made here. Thanks to all of you guys.

Ok, I went to AT&T and got the settings from their i907 Epix. This is a quad-band GSM/tri-band UMTS phone on AT&T's 3G network.

The settings under #9 "Common"

[1] UMTS rf nv read

[2] UMTS rf nv write

[3] WCDMA800 rf nv read

[4] WCDMA800 rf nv write

[5] WCDMA1900 rf nv read

[6] WCDMA1900 rf nv write

The menu under all 6 options is identical to the Omnia. In the guise of a potential Epix buyer, I did not have the opportunity to copy the settings under each option. One other code I used was *#2263# "Band Select" which uses bandsel.exe in Windows Mobile. The Epix menu looks like this;

[1] Automatic [*]

[2] WCDMA band preference

[3] GSM band preference

Selecting [2] gives the following menu;

[1] WCDMA 850

[2] WCDMA 1900

[3] WCDMA IMT 2000

[4] WDCMA only

I assume the *#2263# code lets the Epix user select any combination of GSM and WCDMA frequencies (with the option of disabling either entirely) in addition to the automatic option. Regarding the *#197328640# code, the "read" and "write" options refer to send & receive...there is no option to change these settings within the menu. Where exactly can these settings be changed apo11on? Does this require cooking a ROM or perhaps hacking Omnia registry settings?

that IS a great news, thanks for your time and effort. we are not too far from having ATT's 3G on our babies..........

Guest MichiganTim

When they have axcess the ROM Gods will cook it. But if you want it before it's posted on forums. You might want to send a donation to the ROM Gods for there hard work! Plus the more donations that filter in might make this a higher priority. Just my 2 cents. Speak with your wallet, and they will listen!

If some of the rom makers can help out and get this working you will be getting donations from me and many others.

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
If some of the rom makers can help out and get this working you will be getting donations from me and many others.

Same here $30? Seriously. For I work in the RF system and wish to know how to decode or enable the US ver 3G band ROM for the non-US Omnia. But one thing I know for sure (finger crossing) is in any SOC (System On Chip) like the Qualcomm RF chipset in our Omnia is pretty much ready and tweaked for all UMTS band reception, it is just the FW (Firm Ware) that has some registers disabled for US 3G tuning. If someone can dump the ROM from a US 3G version phone and look for some named variable settings like LO, RF and other common radio rx names then it is possible to cook a ROM into non-US Omnia.

Same here $30? Seriously. For I work in the RF system and wish to know how to decode or enable the US ver 3G band ROM for the non-US Omnia. But one thing I know for sure (finger crossing) is in any SOC (System On Chip) like the Qualcomm RF chipset in our Omnia is pretty much ready and tweaked for all UMTS band reception, it is just the FW (Firm Ware) that has some registers disabled for US 3G tuning. If someone can dump the ROM from a US 3G version phone and look for some named variable settings like LO, RF and other common radio rx names then it is possible to cook a ROM into non-US Omnia.

see that? anyone?

Guest jakeordie

Ok, you can download the i907 Epix ROM dump here; http://miiwiichat.com/upload/path/EpixRomDump.rar and you get Part02.RAW. I haven't been able to get PHONE.BIN from this with any kitchen currently available. But I did get a dump folder with tons of files, and I uploaded it here; http://www.mediafire.com/?tbdmmbdd2h9 so take a look and see what you can find. I searched using many keywords and didn't find anything 3G-specific, but maybe there's something to be gained from it.

I am going to move the body of my posts over to this thread in the ROM discussion subforum; AT&T 3G compatible ROM as I will no longer wait for someone else more knowledgeable than me to do it for me. If it can be done I will find a way, and I could use some help from the chefs who frequent the ROM threads more than the main forum.

Edited by jakeordie

Guest Turb0wned

Im willing to send $30 to who ever gets 3g working for in the usa.

Hopfully soon we can get this going.

Guest juvaknin

guys, i didn't see this Thread..

i opened new one...

http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-h...-900-1900-2100/

i'll post what i said there here also...

i'm shure together we can hack this omnia for "all" bands on all networks.. GSM + UMTS

---

hey guys,

i have as you have, the omnia i900 that working with GSM 850/900/1800/1900 but UMTS/WCDMA it's only on 2100

and some of you want it to be also UMTS/WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100 (full quad band!!)

now.. mabe we can make it.. how?

as i read over the net, the Band Chip is support this quad band and it's "mabe" only firmware open for this band..

i'm working on cellular company, and we have OMNIA-I900 for technical testing with "all bands open"!

you think if i'll download the Firmware from this phone.. and we will upload it to other omnia, it will open the bands??

how i can "download" firmware from this omnia? what i software i need to use for it? and how i can do it..

it's defently worth a try!!!

(this omnia full band phone not all day "in my hands".. so tell me what to do, and i'll try soon as i can every time..)

Guest Confucious
and some of you want it to be also UMTS/WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100 (full quad band!!)

Sorry, I know this is not a lot of use but they are GPRS bands. UMTS bands are 2100 for Europe, 850/1900 for AT&T in the US and 1700/2100 for T-Mobile in the US - it's only the US that use 2 bands (I believe for download/upload - but I may very well be mistaken on that). So quad band for UMTS would be 850/1700/1900/2100

guys, i didn't see this Thread..

i opened new one...

http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-h...-900-1900-2100/

i'll post what i said there here also...

i'm shure together we can hack this omnia for "all" bands on all networks.. GSM + UMTS

---

hey guys,

i have as you have, the omnia i900 that working with GSM 850/900/1800/1900 but UMTS/WCDMA it's only on 2100

now.. mabe we can make it.. how?

as i read over the net, the Band Chip is support this quad band and it's "mabe" only firmware open for this band..

i'm working on cellular company, and we have OMNIA-I900 for technical testing with "all bands open"!

you think if i'll download the Firmware from this phone.. and we will upload it to other omnia, it will open the bands??

how i can "download" firmware from this omnia? what i software i need to use for it? and how i can do it..

it's defently worth a try!!!

(this omnia full band phone not all day "in my hands".. so tell me what to do, and i'll try soon as i can every time..)

i already copied ur post in ROM discussion. thank u for such info.

Guest juvaknin
Sorry, I know this is not a lot of use but they are GPRS bands. UMTS bands are 2100 for Europe, 850/1900 for AT&T in the US and 1700/2100 for T-Mobile in the US - it's only the US that use 2 bands (I believe for download/upload - but I may very well be mistaken on that). So quad band for UMTS would be 850/1700/1900/2100

ok, mabe you wright..

anyway this omnia have quad band on UMTS and quad band on GSM all together..

tommorow i'll see the specs and i'll back to let you know..

here locally we have cellular companys that works GSM all bands, and one company that works UMTS 850/2100

but 100% (as i saw and know) we have here for our technical samsung testings the omnia I900 quad band GSM + UMTS

i'll contact you guys back tommorow with the details.. but i'm not shure the "Firmware" will change our omnias bands...

(if anyone will explane to me how i can rip out the firmware from this technical I900 mobile...)