GPRS Settings Cannot Be Changed After WM6.1 Upgrade - Stuck With AT&T Settings

Guest surfturtle

Guest surfturtle

I just upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1 and it worked like a charm and from first glance it looks amazing however I am stuck with no Internet access.

I am not using AT&T network and everything works fine (calls in/out) but the GPRS settings are locked to AT&T.

I tried adding a new connection but it won't work since the pre-configured AT&T settings cannot be removed.

Can anyone help me unlock the GPRS settings?

Thanks

Guest clockwork58
I just upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1 and it worked like a charm and from first glance it looks amazing however I am stuck with no Internet access.

I am not using AT&T network and everything works fine (calls in/out) but the GPRS settings are locked to AT&T.

I tried adding a new connection but it won't work since the pre-configured AT&T settings cannot be removed.

Can anyone help me unlock the GPRS settings?

Thanks

Woohoo! I solved it!

Install a registry editor onto your pc.

Connect to your bj and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections

You'll see the entries for: AT&T IMS,AT&T ISP and Media Net

Delete all 3, unplug device and give the internet a few tries and it should work.

I was able to connect to google.

Woohoo! I solved it!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections

Delete all 3, unplug device and give the internet a few tries and it should work.

Hi I face the same problem after i upgraded to 6.1. Could you pls. let me know which is the registry editor used and how you got it. I am little clueless when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks a lot

Guest surfturtle

Originally Posted by cyberillusion

Ok, break out your favorite mobile reg editor and locate:

HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings

In here will be a value named "ForceCellConnection"

Change "ATT ICS" to "" and reboot.

ICS will now allow you to choose either ATT ICS or MEdia. ATT ICS will not work without a tethering plan on your wireless account, but MEdia Net will work as long as you have the signal and the basic pay-as-you-go feature (not recommended).

ATT ICS uses "isp.cingular" (tethering) whereas MEdia Net uses "wap.cingular" (general internet).

Also, the ATT ICS and MEdia Net entries in the connection settings dialog are read only and won't let you edit them, But if you navigate to:

HKLM\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4...}\Connections

There will be 2 keys in there. one for ATT ICS and MEdia Net. In those keys there will be a value of ReadOnly. Change the value for these from 1 to 0 and reboot your phone. These connections should now be editable.

This post was made via tether w/o plan and via USB connection

I found a registry editor regedt32, and when I run it, i cannot locate BJII, tho it is connected to the laptop. could someone pls. help.

Thanks in advance

Could someone help pls. as i am really stuck with this issue

thanks

Guest homeboytim
Thank you so much... It worked... Can connect to internet

Thanks

Clearing out the registry value of "ForceCellConnection" fixed the Internet for me as well.  Thanks for the solution!

Woohoo! I solved it!

This worked for me as well. Good one and thank you.

I am too having issue with GPRS settings and the Blackjack II since upgrading to 6.1. I am travelling often in the Congo and in the past, I had no trouble configuring my Blackjack II with WM 6.0 to access data with a local SIM (Celtel). Following the directions above, I managed to delete the GPRS and Proxy settings locked in 6.1 but the GPRS settings that use to work with 6.0 do not under 6.1. Whenever I am trying to use IE or Active Sync, I am always receiving the dreaded "the remote party has ended this connection". I am wondering if 6.1 does not have a few hidden tweeks that prevent the phone to work on other networks. I am going to reset all GPRS and Proxy settings back to defaults. I wrote them down but just to make sure, could someone post the default GPRS and Proxy settings under 6.1.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest techboydino

Looking for suggestions. I have the 6.1 update and changed the reg key to allow for ICS. I am now able to connect through ICS under the Media Net setting. Unfortunately I cannot connect through the browser. Looking for any suggestions. I have the default 0.2 on the computer and 0.1 on the phone. Thanks for any help.

Even though I connect, it seems as though the data is obviously not going through. Do I have to add another connection or edit the media net settings in order for this to work?

Edited by techboydino

Guest Christien

Upon installing the 6.1 update I did notice the GPRS settings were locked and had a lock symbol next to the selections, but after running SDA_ApplicationUnlock.exe phone the settings became unlocked and had no trouble adding and editing GPRS settings.

On a side note I noticed a program gprsmgr.exe in the windows directory that had interesting presets. Nothing too useful from what i could tell.

Did anyone notice that taskmanager is crippled in the new 6.1, you can no longer kill some apps you used to be able to kill in 6.0 ;) kind of annoying to reboot just to get a process to stop.

• 3 months later...
Guest SmellsFeeshy
Looking for suggestions. I have the 6.1 update and changed the reg key to allow for ICS. I am now able to connect through ICS under the Media Net setting. Unfortunately I cannot connect through the browser. Looking for any suggestions. I have the default 0.2 on the computer and 0.1 on the phone. Thanks for any help.

Even though I connect, it seems as though the data is obviously not going through. Do I have to add another connection or edit the media net settings in order for this to work?

Not sure if you've fixed this problem yet or not but I had the same issue -- ICS would Connect but when I would try to browse to anything on my PC nothing would load.

I followed the original instructions for installing ICS on WinMo 6.0 and now it works! I'm guessing that its the certs.cab file that is somehow missing from certain BJ2s after the 6.1 upgrade. I'm on AT&T BTW.

http://www.modaco.com/content/i617-i617-mo...ering-for-bjii/

..........this was the old procedure:.....................

Step1: Make sure your device is app unlocked!!**(see below note!); run secpolicies.cab first if unsure or the certs won't take!!

**run this cab and reboot; http://sems.org/content/download/secpolicies.cab"

Step2: RESET THE DEVICE!

Step3: Install the BJ.WM6.ICS.Enable cab file (it might ask you to reboot)

http://www.mdots.net/misc/BJ.WM6.ICS.Enable.cabhttp://www.mdots.net/misc/BJ.WM6.ICS.Enable.cab

Step4: navigate to \My Documents and click on the certs.cab file

Step5: RESET THE DEVICE!

Step6: go to start and run internet sharing

• 2 years later...
Guest ptcruiser70663
Woohoo! I solved it!

I have found great information here. Thanks everyone for your posts and sysop for maintaining this site. After careful reading and much work, I was able to dump the AT&T locks on my Pantech C810 Windows Mobile 6.1 phone so that I can use cheaper Consumer Cellular service (which uses AT&T's network) for calls and Internet connection. Tethering is next!