Upgrade to WM 6.1 (FAILED!)

Guest porterror

Guest porterror

My frickin home computer crashed during the upgrade and now will not power on. My phone was half way through the process and now when it boots up stops at the "SAMSUNG" logo screen. I have tired reformating (UP + POWER ON) many times and it formats sucessfully, but still comes up with the SAMSUNG logo. I have tired on my laptop to use activesync to connect to the phone but it doesn't not recognize the phone. What can I do!?

Guest porterror
My phone stopped at 49% and sat there for an hour. When I unplugged it, I had the same problem you did.

Any workarounds or are we bricked?

I'll be calling samsung tech support in a bit and I also have an email in as well. Hopefully they have a work around, but i have no clue how I would load it....i can't use activesync!

Guest nole28td
....needed to open a repair ticket and send in the phone. 10 to 14 business days!! They said contact AT&T if they can provide a loaner......can they?

yeahhh hey guys. new to Modaco, just found this thread because guess what?! same thing happened to me tonight on the upgrade to 6.1. Something happened and it was disconnected from the process and now I left with the black screen of death as ive been calling it.

did samsung say that they could definetly fix it, and if so how much? As far as I know, ATT won't give you a loaner under these circumstances. anyway, any info you can provide as far as exactly what samsung said would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

matt

Guest cosmicc
My frickin home computer crashed during the upgrade and now will not power on. My phone was half way through the process and now when it boots up stops at the "SAMSUNG" logo screen. I have tired reformating (UP + POWER ON) many times and it formats sucessfully, but still comes up with the SAMSUNG logo. I have tired on my laptop to use activesync to connect to the phone but it doesn't not recognize the phone. What can I do!?

I got your fix yo.

Same thing happened to me. you can reenter the bootloader downloader mode by holding the back button and the up volume button while turning it on. the upgrade will reconnect and flash the pda part again.

refrain from doing anything on your pc while its flashing.

dont send your phone back, they are retarded for not telling you this over the phone.

also set your flash utility process to be high priority if you continue to have problems

enjoy

Edited by cosmicc

Guest secretsquirrel
I got your fix yo.

Same thing happened to me. you can reenter the bootloader downloader mode by holding the back button and the up volume button while turning it on. the upgrade will reconnect and flash the pda part again.

refrain from doing anything on your pc while its flashing.

dont send your phone back, they are retarded for not telling you this over the phone.

also set your flash utility process to be high priority if you continue to have problems

enjoy

I have the same problem and everytime I go into the bootloader itll say usb_ready for awhile then it says pc connection:fail. I cant get activesync to connect and so I cant start the update again. Any ideas?

Guest secretsquirrel
Have you tried flashing again? Don't worry about the fact that Activesync won't connect, just try reflashing.

im a little lost, how do i go about doing that?

Guest Confucious

I have never seen the Samsung process - with HTC phones you have to run RUU (Rom Update Utility) on your PC and this works if you are in Bootloader even if you can't connect via activesync. Is it not the same for the Samsungs?

Guest secretsquirrel
I have never seen the Samsung process - with HTC phones you have to run RUU (Rom Update Utility) on your PC and this works if you are in Bootloader even if you can't connect via activesync. Is it not the same for the Samsungs?

No, its not the same. I cant figure out a way to flash it without using activesync

Guest nole28td
Reading the instructions on Sumsungs site you shouldn't be connected via activesync to perform the upgrade! Have you installed the samsung modem drivers? see http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/fa...mp;AT_ID=132706

Step 7 shows it is using RUU.....

The modem drivers were installed correctly. But if you keep reading the instructions, you'll see that you have to establish a connection via activesync for this upgrade program to work. I have connected my phone with the key commands you said, and have tried running the entire program again and when i connect the phone and press next on my PC, all I get is a message stating that "Device is not connected". There has to be a way though. Thanks for the info so far!

Matt

Guest Confucious

It looks like it's downloading the nbh to the phone - do you not get as far as the download? If it crashes after the download it might be in your temp directory somewhere.

Guest nole28td
It looks like it's downloading the nbh to the phone - do you not get as far as the download? If it crashes after the download it might be in your temp directory somewhere.

Its not crashing, its just simply not doing anything. I get a USB Intitial:OK, and then a PC Connection:Fail while is this mode. It just wont reconnect to the computer to do anything.

Guest moose76

Here is the process to un-brick your phone:

Prerequisites:

Update software still running on your PC. Must be past the ROM Update screen:

http://erms.samsungelectronics.com/custome.../08/29/3[2].jpg

and on the Downloading screen:

http://erms.samsungelectronics.com/customer/common/images/namo/2008/08/29/4[2].jpg ://http://erms.samsungelectronics.com/...08/29/4[2].jpg ://http://erms.samsungelectronics.com/...08/29/4[2].jpg

Or

A spare or borrowed BJ II.

If you still have the software running and it is still on the downloading screen:

1) Connect the USB cable to your Powered OFF

2) Turn the phone on while holding the "Back" and "Volume Up" buttons.

3) This will boot the phone into the "Bootloader mode".

4) The upgrade process should restart.

If you closed the Upload program like I did, things are a little more complicated. During the normal upgrade process, the phone is put into the Bootloader Mode by the Upgrade software using the Active Sync connection. If the upgrade fails and you brick your phone and closed the software (like I did), there is no way to restart the download process because you can't Active Sync to your bricked phone. When you try to click "Next" on the ROM update screen, it says there is no phone connected.

Here is where the spare phone comes in handy. Luckily, my work has several BJ IIs and I was able to borrow a co-workers phone.

1) Connect the USB cable to the spare BJII as you normally would and start the Update software.

2) Follow the normal update procedure. Stop when you get to the "Downloading" screen, DO NOT click Start.

3) At this point, the spare phone should have been put in to "Bootloader mode" by the upgrade software via the Active Sync connection.

4) Unplug the USB cable from the spare phone and plug it in to your POWERED OFF, bricked phone. Pull the battery from the spare phone. This will take it out of the "Bootloader" mode and will restart normally.

5) Turn on the bricked phone while holding the "Back" and Volume Up" buttons to start the phone in "Bootloader" mode.

6) Click "Start" in the software. The upgrade process should restart and hopefully, complete.

Thanks to cosmicc for posting the key sequence for starting the phone in Bootloader mode.

Guest Mr Pockets151

@nole28

I had the same problem. Make sure your firewall and antivirus has been disabled. I thought I had disabled it, but my firewall caused me to get a PC CONNECTION:FAIL.

Restart your pc, and disable the firewall/antivirus and re-run the upgrade

Guest cosmicc

also, make sure to unplug everything you dont need out of your usb ports. mine was hanging at 39% everytime. it ended up being a multitech usb modem i have plugged in. after unplugging that, no more 39% hangs.

thank god i left my downloader app open :/

Guest Hpclink
also, make sure to unplug everything you dont need out of your usb ports. mine was hanging at 39% everytime. it ended up being a multitech usb modem i have plugged in. after unplugging that, no more 39% hangs.

thank god i left my downloader app open :/

I'll also add that if you're using WinXP at ServicePack 3 there is a known Samsung hang that will cause issues. Mine loaded the PDA portion yesterday but hung the bootloader on the phone download. The phone powered up but the PDA and Phone code was out of sync(phone unusable). I had to redo the flash from a WinVista PC to get the upload complete.

Now if I can just figure out where the $#@!! VoiceCommand key settings are. Works fine with BT but can't find a way to use it w/o my headset. I'm not totally sure WM6.1 is something I should have upgraded to this quickly. Lots of little quirks... Internet sharing across BT doesnt work yet(havent figured out how to hack it).

Guest yesdread
I'll also add that if you're using WinXP at ServicePack 3 there is a known Samsung hang that will cause issues. Mine loaded the PDA portion yesterday but hung the bootloader on the phone download. The phone powered up but the PDA and Phone code was out of sync(phone unusable). I had to redo the flash from a WinVista PC to get the upload complete.

Now if I can just figure out where the $#@!! VoiceCommand key settings are. Works fine with BT but can't find a way to use it w/o my headset. I'm not totally sure WM6.1 is something I should have upgraded to this quickly. Lots of little quirks... Internet sharing across BT doesnt work yet(havent figured out how to hack it).

hold down att internet button to launch voice command