Mobile Broadband SIM Pay As You GO??

Guest TheNerd

Guest TheNerd

I get my broadband connection through a land line, and in my region it is getting a bit unreliable. (The villagers are ready to revolt!) Whilst I prepare my flaming torch and suitable rioting tools, I wondered if there was a suitable alternative to my broadband connection - a mobile one in fact?

I run a small network of PCs which connect to the internet through a router. I need to replace the landline modem in times of emergency. I am thinking of the Netgear 3G and HSDPA Ethernet Modem which is perfectly suited providing it works with my mobile provider. I live within the M25 so HSDPA should be possible.

I have a T-Mobile account with (standard) WebNWalk. I think I would need to upgrade the WebNWalk to the PLUS or MAX service in order to use my computers on it. I have seen that the Netgear modem I mentioned is available with a T-mobile contract, so I presume it is compatible. This would mean taking out the SIM card from my mobile and popping it into the modem everytime I needed the mobile broadband. (Unless there is a duplicate SIM available. Can people get these?)

I have been trying to weigh up the services available on other providers in case I can get a better deal than using my T-Mobile account. A simple "Pay As You Go" service would make sense for my needs. If I got the Netgear modem then all I would need to buy is a PAYG SIM card to plug into the back of it, right?

Most PAYG SIM only deals seem to be aimed at calls and texts rather than data (ASDA Mobile for example looked good until I saw the data allowance). Is the UK market not ready for a suitable backup broadband service yet? Does anybody have some advice for a SIM I can buy which is suitable or should I stick with my T-Mobile service?

The other option would be to get a Mobile Broadband USB modem, which although it would be difficult to connect the LAN PCs, at least provides an internet connection to a single PC in emergencies (and I suppose to my laptop if I'm out and about - which would be very useful). The T-Mobile PAYG option is 4 pounds a day for any day it is used!!!! :D :D I would only have to use it four days in any month to cost as much as a monthly service (a couple of minutes either side of midnight would be two days == 8 quid!)

I suppose in summary I have the following options:

1. Buy the netgear modem, upgrade my WebNWalk to WebNWalk Plus and plug my mobile phone's SIM card in everytime I need it.
  2. Buy the Netgear modem and get a PAYG SIM from somebody cheap.
  3. Get a USB modem on a PAYG or maybe even a monthly service.
Sorry, lots of questions but this place really seems to have a fabulous knowledge of the UK mobile scene. I would really appreciate some help on these matters.

Regards,

TheNerd

Guest andybarker

When we moved to our current house, we used my PDA as a 3G modem (and used MS connection sharing) for a week or two. Was OK for browsing and emails. It had a PAYG sim in it, and was on the capped £1 per day package - so cost us under a tenner for about a week of usage. Good as a fallback for sure.

I did ask T-Mobile if I could get the WnW SIM without a dongle to put in my PDA, but always been told no (PDA Is too big to be used as a phone, but a great micro-mini laptop).

If you want a rare stop gap solution, i'd suggest a PAYG sim with the £1 cap. As long as you don't take the micky when you use it (i.e. don't try using p2p, watching YouTube, etc.) you should be fine.

As for a device to use - there are some good Draytek Vigor units that have both ADSL and 3G support (the 3G is usually done through a USB stick modem and some mobiles). Look for the Vigor 2820 as an example.

Edited by andybarker

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Id approach this slightly differently.

I would probably get the Draytek 2820n router which does both adsl and 3g Broadband. This will allow you to have a failover for when the adsl dies.

Guest TheNerd

The Draytek Vigor 2820 looks like one heck of a system! Had I not already got several seperate boxes :D to perform all the functions it offers I would be jumping up and down to buy one. I am very impressed with the USB modem support it offers. It is exactly what I really want. Thanks Andy - Too bad I have to consider other options with the equipment I already have, which I won't be able to write off for a while. :(

Some things that are putting me off Mobile Broadband...

• With one provider the PAYG top up service is only valid for 30 days (effectively making it a monthly service!)
  • Restrictive bandwidth quotas (understandable, but 40Mb per day? What if I need to download a Windows Service Pack? Or somebody has a day of boredom on YouTube!)
  • Restrictive protocols: File sharing and Internet telephony banned. No good for BBC iPlayer then or Skype/VoIP/SIP.
  • One provider stipulates if the service is unused for 180 days then it gets shut down and the USB modem can not be used again :angry:

Oh what to do...?? :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

Monthly service is OK when it's super cheap tho no?

40MB per day, from who? I've pretty comprehensively hammered by 3 prepay SIM on the fiver a month bundle, with no issues.

Protocols, yeah, I VPN then use what I like!

10 days, worse they can do is shut off the SIM?

P

Guest MrGallant

I have been looking at getting some of these in from one of my suppliers. They had a load they wanted to offload.

http://www.devicewire.co.uk/Option-Globesurfer-II

Is this the sort of thing you would need?, we could not decide if there was a big enough market for it?

If anyone can give me some feedback I they have used one I would be very grateful.

Guest TheNerd

Hello folks and many thanks indeed for your replies.

Paul, I think the 40Mb per day cap was on one of the Asda pages, but I can not remember for sure, and sorting through my browser history to find the page again would be horrific!

Mr Gallant, the Option Globesurfer II 7.2 looks like a nice device - Up until yesterday, I had no idea these sort of devices existed. Not ideal for my purposes though. The requirement of USB (that must be Windows or Mac OS X, so there could be driver issues for a Linux laptop) puts me off. Security-wise I am also put off. I would rather have a an internet connection passed through a hardware firewall/router before connecting a PC. (Although I suppose I could utilise something like Yoggie Gatekeeper for security.) These issues are also more than likely to affect the USB modems on offer from the mobile network providers too, although I don't know enough about them yet to say for sure.

It looks like the mobile broadband market is really hotting up. Still wish I'd known about that Draytek router some time ago!

Guest TheNerd

Many thanks Confucious. I seem to be thinking about this all too late. It seems many people want this now, come on mobile providers get with the program :D

Paul, I found the 40MB limit was actually on T-Mobile...

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phon.../pay-as-you-go/

Web 'n' walk £1 a day plan

web'n'walk day pass costs up to £1.

How we calculate charges

We'll automatically charge 0.73p per KB each day (midnight to midnight) when you use web'n'walk until you hit £1 a day and then we won't charge you any more.

Who can get it

Pay as you go or pay monthly customers who don't have web'n'walk included in their plan or added a Booster

You'll need a compatible phone and internet coverage � check your coverage

Web'n'walk restrictions

Remember that you can only use web'n'walk in the UK.

You can't:

Use your phone as a modem

Use web'n'walk for peer to peer file sharing

Use web'n'walk for instant messaging (except if you have a Sidekick)

Make internet phone calls

Fair use policy

This plan comes with a fair use policy of 40MB a day.

We'll monitor how much you send and receive each calendar month so that we can protect our network for all our web'n'walk customers.

If you use more than your fair use policy amount, we won't charge you any more, but we may restrict how you can use web'n'walk, depending on how often you go over your amount and by how much.

The legal stuff you need to know

All offers are available for new connections only.

Web'n'walk

Compatible handset required. £1 maximum daily charge applies to U-Fix, Mates Rates, Everyone and Text Appeal customers. Roaming charges apply. Charges of 0.73p per KB apply until £1 per day (midnight to midnight) is spent. If you have already spent £1 and you browse for a continuous period from before midnight to after midnight, all of that period will be charged at the new day's rate of 0.73p per KB. Not applicable to connection via circuit switch data (CSD). Subject to coverage.

*To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers a fair use policy of 40MB (of data both sent and received in the UK) per day applies. We monitor use on a monthly basis. If, in our reasonable opinion, you regularly exceed 40MB per day, we may tell you to reduce your future use. If you again regularly exceed 40 MB per day, we may tell you that we are going to apply network protection controls, resulting in a reduced network speed for 14 days. If you exceed 40 MB per day for a third time, we may tell you that we are going to apply further network protection controls, resulting in a permanently reduced network speed. We do not permit use of this service to provide modem access for a computer or for peer to peer file sharing, internet phone calls or instant messaging. Roaming charges apply.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Mr Nerd Sir,

Going back to the draytek router. I recently had one, and had to send it back though. Mine was probably just a bad one. It's very flexible, and allows you to do all sorts of wonderful stuff with the link. You can bond links and have TWO ADSL connections, plus 3G. You can prioritise traffic over different links. Have one as fail over for another. Truly is a remarkable bit of kit.

I just wasnt 100% satisfied with it, so it went back!

• 2 weeks later...

orange offer unlimited downloads for 24 hours on pay and go if you text 'world 1' to 6610, I often just get this for a days use and plug it into my laptop... ive actually had it downloading constantly for 18 hours ;)

cheers

orange offer unlimited downloads for 24 hours on pay and go if you text 'world 1' to 6610, I often just get this for a days use and plug it into my laptop... ive actually had it downloading constantly for 18 hours ;)

cheers

How much is this service? Do you have a web link?