Wifi connection whilst connected to ActiveSync

Guest Webreaper

Guest Webreaper

I connect my Kaiser to my work PC to sync my meetings so I don't forget where I'm supposed to be. However, my work LAN is locked down so I can't sync my device email across the LAN.

I'd like to have it so that my device will connect to the 'net over GPRS whilst it's connected, so it still gets email updates every 30 minutes while connected. But it doesn't work - it gives a connection failure and only downloads email if I specifically disconnect from the USB cable and then hit send/receive.

I have the "Allow wireless connection on the device when connected to the desktop" option checked in Activesync, but it appears to make no difference.

It's really annoying to have to periodically disconnect my device to see if I have any email.

Any ideas?

Guest Webreaper
Also turn off "Allow USB Connection"

I thought you'd hit the nail on the head there. But no. Doing that actually completely disables the USB connection altogether, so I don't have any ActiveSync connection at all.....

I have "This computer is connected to..." set to "Work Network".

Edited by Webreaper

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Swampie
I connect my Kaiser to my work PC to sync my meetings so I don't forget where I'm supposed to be. However, my work LAN is locked down so I can't sync my device email across the LAN.

I'd like to have it so that my device will connect to the 'net over GPRS whilst it's connected, so it still gets email updates every 30 minutes while connected. But it doesn't work - it gives a connection failure and only downloads email if I specifically disconnect from the USB cable and then hit send/receive.

I have the "Allow wireless connection on the device when connected to the desktop" option checked in Activesync, but it appears to make no difference.

It's really annoying to have to periodically disconnect my device to see if I have any email.

Any ideas?

This is a security feature to avoid the possibility of introducing back doors into corporate networks. When connected via USB, all other network interfaces are disabled. For example, without this, had your IT department allowed your device to get full LAN access via ActiveSync, then you could also have WiFi running, providing an unsecured access point straight into your corporate network. Similar for GPRS.

This causes a real problem with debugging Windows Mobile applications which make use of WiFi or GPRS - connecting via USB to enable debugging disables the very interfaces you want to debug! There are ways around it for debugging (eg. not doing USB but doing it over WiFi - but that's another story: http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archiv...22/420884.aspx).