Did I just brick my phone??

Guest Chris Benz

Guest Chris Benz

My phone was updating correctly until it hit phase 3. My comp then popped up with a new hardware thing, and i cancelled it. I didnt know i had to install the modem drivers!. Now the installer is waiting for the next image and my phone in the phase 3 is saying time and it is just going up and down. Can i Cancel install and do it again? i dont mind losing data, i just want a functional phone!

Guest nick491
My phone was updating correctly until it hit phase 3. My comp then popped up with a new hardware thing, and i cancelled it. I didnt know i had to install the modem drivers!. Now the installer is waiting for the next image and my phone in the phase 3 is saying time and it is just going up and down. Can i Cancel install and do it again? i dont mind losing data, i just want a functional phone!

RTFM

Guest Mr Pockets151

it did that to mine to. I had the drivers installed. I didn't cancel though I just let it do it's thing and finished fine. It finds the hardware again.

Guest awarner (MVP)

You should not have needed to install any drivers to flash the device.

The only suggestion if it is still stuck would be to try and update again.

Bricking a phone all depends on where during the flash process the crash happened.

Guest Mysterious Stranger

Not in the case of flashing samsung smartphones. i haven't done my i617 yet but with the i607, if the modem driver isn't installed *prior* to starting the flash procedure, the phone cannot be recognised in it's bootloader mode. The i607 needs activesync disabling, the i617 supposedly does not according to the instructions, but still needs the modem driver - included in the update package.

M.S

Guest mosamjc

There's no way to recover your phone without sending it to Samsung for a courtesy 14 day long repair job (or a warranty replacement if you are in the one year warranty). I hope someone proves me wrong, but after hours on the phone with samsung when the same thing happened with mine, I am fairly certain that you are screwed thanks to Samsung's inferior product quality.

Guest sneakynips

I also had a problem when I tried to update to 6.1.

I followed the XP instructions here:

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/fa...mp;AT_ID=132706

The first two phases of the download work fine. But the 3rd phase hangs. I had to pull the battery to get the phone to shut down. I tried the update a second time with the same result.

The good news is the phone still works. When I inserted my sim card and turned on the phone 6.1 seems to work ok. I can get email and make calls. However when I perform the last step and check the versions by entering *#1234#, the PDA version is correct, but the phone version is not. I assume this is because I skipped the last part of the upgrade.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.

Guest sneakynips

I tried running the 6.1 upgrade from another XP machine and this time it worked all the way through. I have no idea what the problem was on my other PC. Firewall maybe.

The only suggestion if it is still stuck would be to try and update again.

Bricking a phone all depends on where during the flash process the crash happened.

A rare miscue Awarner ;)

Samsung devices have to have the modem drivers installed in order to be recognized by the bootloader. Their instructions are VERY clear on this. Some of their phones are so lame that they require you to keep going in and out of the windows connection manager, enabling and disabling the USB connection :wacko:

Meanwhile, all over the planet, iPhones are being updated without problems.

"Windows Mobile, when your life lacks Drama, we're there to help" :(

MadSci