Omnia Overheating -- Not Responding...

Guest mashimus

Guest mashimus

Hi,

Just wondering if I have a faulty unit or something...

I have a white model, with the G4 ROM.

Sometimes when I use GPS, or wifi on my phone, my phone gets hot in the part below the battery, and sometimes this causes the phone to stop responding. When it cools down, it's starts responding again.

Does anyone else have this issue? Can it be rectified with the new ROM?

Thanks..

Guest mashimus
Heat can be generated by using wifi and GPS due to the power they use, it happens on most devices I have.

It just depends on how much heat?

Yes, I know it can get hot with wifi/GPS usage, but my question is, if anyone else has the same issue of them Omnia not responding when their phone heats up...

I usually get it after using GPS or Wifi ...

Thanks

Hello Mashimus, I have/had? exactly the same problem (the phone and pda not responding and device overheated). I think it could be caused by a hardware problem but I ot my omnia via ebay, so that it is difficult to change it. Because of this, I have found this marvellous forum, and I have decided to update to DXHH1 rom and radio.

Now , I get sometimes the same problems (specially when I use intensively the phone) but less than before , and now I loose only the phone function and pda remains responding.

If I may offer an opinion as an electronics engineer: heat is the worst ennemy of electronic circuits and reduces substancially the MTBF (mean time between failure) of the chips. I do not know what the Omnia was designed for in terms of heat dissipation, but I would try to keep it as cool as possible to extend its life. I you have ever been in a Server room, you know how cold it is in there ;)

I myself experienced high heat output when using the internal GPS for a few hours. So much so that I am going to use my external Bluetooh GPS (much better performance anyway) when driving.

If it is the battery that is getting this hot and not the circuit per se ( I did not check this), it is not as bad I suppose, although it is conducting heat to the surrounding parts.

Guest Quist09

My unit gets a bit warm when I'm surfing the web intensively, but the other day I used the internal GPS with TomTom and GPSGate for a little over an hour and it got so hot I got a bit worried. On the way home, I set it up with my external GPS over bluetooth and it was ice cold after the same amount of time.

Kind of a pain in the butt, but msjfb is right. The heat issue with GPS is usually exacerbated by the fact that you'd commonly want to have the unit connected to the charger while navigating to keep the battery running to make it a whole day. Using the internal GPS this way for short excursions of under an hour or 30 minutes shouldn't be a problem (although even then you should try to ensure air convection around the unit to help dissipate heat), but if you plan on taking a longer trip and use GPS, get yourself an el-cheapo external GPS unit.

• 11 months later...
Guest rammy121

...mine overheats when using the gps so much that it just stops charging, in the car. normally after about two hours. i think it's time to return it.

My Omnia does get hot but it still works even if I charge it.

But I'm in luck because my universal phone holder in the car holds my Omnia in front of my ventilation and the phone get super cold because of the AC so no heating issues here.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rammy121
...mine overheats when using the gps so much that it just stops charging, in the car. normally after about two hours. i think it's time to return it.

....actually, today i thought let me just try it at my desk, wih the usb cable, running igo 8 and see if it overheats. well, in the fisrt ten mins the telephone got warm, no doubt on it's way to getting hotter. anyway, i thought "let me take of the back and see exactly where it's getting hot". to my surprise, it was the 8gb micro sd card (sandisk) that was really hot. can anybody else confirm this? i thought it was because i had igo 8 installed there but the card's not in use, just got mp3s, movies etc.

Guest necosino

The GPS/Phone card and Processor are under there, too :)

Unless you used a thermal probe, your finger is pretty inaccurate in measuring precision sources of heat.

Guest rammy121
The GPS/Phone card and Processor are under there, too :)

Unless you used a thermal probe, your finger is pretty inaccurate in measuring precision sources of heat.

...you're right, i took out the card and yep, still gets hot. i went of looking for the disassembly diags. for the omnia to see what underneath. you beat me to it. yeh, inaccurate big finger but the card did got hot, must have acted like a heat sink.

Guest naynada
My Omnia does get hot but it still works even if I charge it.

But I'm in luck because my universal phone holder in the car holds my Omnia in front of my ventilation and the phone get super cold because of the AC so no heating issues here.

Now that, is an awesome idea :)

Guest Maxctran

I was seriously considering the Omnia 2 as I have had the same problem with the Omnia overheating and stop charging after i've been using the GPS in the car. However I've recently got a new car with Air Con and the vent blows air directly over the phone as it passes through the car. This seems to have solved the overheating problem :) However I haven't needed to go on a long journey (3hrs+) yet to see if the air con can keep it cool forever.

If I remember i'll post feedback if i do a long drive.