How does ActiveSync recognise devices

Guest dave archer

Guest dave archer

Summary

I sync my HTC Kaiser with two XP desktops, Home and Work.

This used to work fine, until recently, and now Work keeps wanting to create a new partnership with it after I've synced with Home for first time - like it doesn't recognise the device as the same device it synced with yesterday - VERY annoying, grateful for any help.

Detail

I used to have my device synced with both PCs just fine. Always using USB and Active Sync 5.

Then I:

- deleted partnership on each PC

- deleted all Outlook data from device

- deleted all Outlook data from Home (as I use Work as master data source)

- cleared down some old Outlook data on Work to clear some space

- created new partnership on Work, synced no problem

- created new partnership on Home, synced no problem, now device shows both partnerships

- connected to Work, expecting it to update through the partnership...

- and DOH instead of syncing through the partnership Work now tries to create a second partnership, with the same name as the first except with a 1 as the last character (i.e. current partnership is WM_Dave_Archer on both PCs, as this is my device's ID, but Work tries to create new partnership called WM_Dave_Arche1)

WHY??

For some reason Work no longer thinks my device is the same device, now that it's been synced with Home :wacko:

Anyone able to shed any light?

Anyone know how ActiveSync recognises a device? It doesn't appear to be by DeviceID as that is unchanged.

Activesync drives me crazy sometimes, it always seems to work 95% but never fully, always some gotcha with it! :( ;)

Many thanks,

Dave.

I've had this same problem with my HTC Advantage since I got it, the only suggestion I got from Microsoft's help forum was to do a hard reboot :-/

Have you recently added any software?