Im getting this soon... but..

Guest jimbles90

Guest jimbles90

how do i turn of data mode like GPRS and HSDA or whatever?

I only want wi-fi on as i am a college student, so at college im surrounded by wi-fi, at home im surround by wi-fi and at other places im surouned by wi-fi, so ill be doing my updates and stuff through that, keeping the phone awake whilst doing so!

Also because i can't afford a contract with data allowances.

So help me asap? I want to change it to Wi-Fi only straight away as soon as i turn it on!

thanks1

how do i turn of data mode like GPRS and HSDA or whatever?

I only want wi-fi on as i am a college student, so at college im surrounded by wi-fi, at home im surround by wi-fi and at other places im surouned by wi-fi, so ill be doing my updates and stuff through that, keeping the phone awake whilst doing so!

Also because i can't afford a contract with data allowances.

So help me asap? I want to change it to Wi-Fi only straight away as soon as i turn it on!

thanks1

There's a programme on xda developers called nodata that turns off your mobile internet. you can still allow wifi tho

Guest LessThanSte

More or less the same story with me. Theres a Data Connection off or on option in the Comms Manager (which is a nice feature, btw!) that allows you to turn the data connection off and just use wifi.

However i think if you try to connect to the net or whatever when you dont have a wifi connection it will try and connect by 3G or whatever!

BTW, my contract is through orange and, alledgedly, the package i got (dolphin 35) had 2 months of free data up to 250MB. Im not so sure if this actually happened as it appears to have charged me 10p so far according to my orange account thingy, but thats something to keep an eye on and you can maybe see just how much, in real terms, you would actually use.

Certainly google maps is brilliant but requires a data connection and if you want satelitte view that will be quite hefty. Then again, just get tom tom, free then ;)

Guest jimbles90
More or less the same story with me. Theres a Data Connection off or on option in the Comms Manager (which is a nice feature, btw!) that allows you to turn the data connection off and just use wifi.

where can i find the comms manager then?

i dnt want data on as it will break the bank for me! lol

what? is there no way to make it connect by wi-fi only and if it can't detect wi-fi then it doesnt connect?

Guest Neil5459
where can i find the comms manager then?

i dnt want data on as it will break the bank for me! lol

what? is there no way to make it connect by wi-fi only and if it can't detect wi-fi then it doesnt connect?

As the 2nd poster said- NoData is what you need. Not an XDA-Devs program, but actually written by the CEO of MoDaCo ;) With NoData active, you wnon't get any unwanted data connections.

Look in This Post for NoData and other essential apps.

If you are absolutely sure you won't ever want data, then you can also delete the data connection settings from the phone.

Which operator are you with? It may be worth checking to see if they have a daily cap on data charges? Orange can apply a maximum charge of £1 in any day of data use, which means if you did want to use Google Maps for a journey, you could turn data on for that day, download as much as you like, and only be charged £1 for that day. There is no charge for days you don't use data. T-Mo offer a similar thing I think.

As the 2nd poster said- NoData is what you need. Not an XDA-Devs program, but actually written by the CEO of MoDaCo ;) With NoData active, you wnon't get any unwanted data connections.

Whoops! Props to Paul! I knew I''d got it somewhere and just assumed . . . . . .

Guest Neil5459
but would i have to flash my rom?

or will that work on the current rom?

NoData is an application that works on any WM phone, so no ROM flashing needed- it just turns off GPRS usage until you manually turn it on again.

You can delete all the GPRS connections, but you may see error messages popping up, as the OS likes to have a valid connection configured. Go Start/Settings/Connections, and tap the Connections icon. You are taken to a 2 part screen. The upper part is the GPRS Internet settings, so tap 'Manage Existing Connections' which takes you to a grid of configured connections (usually just one): Tap/Hold the connection, and select Delete from the context menu.

You can then return to the Connections control, and repeat for the lower settings, which are the WAP settings. If you do this you will lose MMS capability, as MMS uses GPRS. Not a problem if you don't use MMS ;)

This is essentially a one way operation, unless your phone has a Network Settings control to reset the default settings- if not they will need re-entering manually if you need to restore GPRS for any reason.

Guest jimbles90
NoData is an application that works on any WM phone, so no ROM flashing needed- it just turns off GPRS usage until you manually turn it on again.

You can delete all the GPRS connections, but you may see error messages popping up, as the OS likes to have a valid connection configured. Go Start/Settings/Connections, and tap the Connections icon. You are taken to a 2 part screen. The upper part is the GPRS Internet settings, so tap 'Manage Existing Connections' which takes you to a grid of configured connections (usually just one): Tap/Hold the connection, and select Delete from the context menu.

You can then return to the Connections control, and repeat for the lower settings, which are the WAP settings. If you do this you will lose MMS capability, as MMS uses GPRS. Not a problem if you don't use MMS ;)

This is essentially a one way operation, unless your phone has a Network Settings control to reset the default settings- if not they will need re-entering manually if you need to restore GPRS for any reason.

so doing this will just mean my phone connects only by Wi-Fi? because that is all i want :wacko:

also, does deleting GPRS/wap also delete 3g/HDSA settings? :(

Guest Neil5459
so doing this will just mean my phone connects only by Wi-Fi? because that is all i want ;)

also, does deleting GPRS/wap also delete 3g/HDSA settings? :wacko:

Yes and Yes :(

If there are no Connections set up, it is impossible for the phone to connect via the phone signal, so it will only be able to connect via WiFi

Removing the GPRS Internet/WAP settings will automatically remove the 3G and HSDPA connections as they use the same conduit. Inb fact onjce thats done you should change the phone to GSM only, as it gives better battery life. Settings/Phone/Options/Band then set the upper box to GSM, leaving the lower box as it is.

Guest jimbles90
Yes and Yes ;)

If there are no Connections set up, it is impossible for the phone to connect via the phone signal, so it will only be able to connect via WiFi

Removing the GPRS Internet/WAP settings will automatically remove the 3G and HSDPA connections as they use the same conduit. Inb fact onjce thats done you should change the phone to GSM only, as it gives better battery life. Settings/Phone/Options/Band then set the upper box to GSM, leaving the lower box as it is.

thank you so much for your help!

my phone arrives tomorrow so im now looking forward to it knowing that i wont be getting charged any extra :wacko:

Guest Neil5459
thank you so much for your help!

my phone arrives tomorrow so im now looking forward to it knowing that i wont be getting charged any extra ;)

Good luck with it :wacko: Remember the battery life improves after a few charge/discharge cycles. Mine took about 1 week to reach optimum levels :(

Guest jimbles90
Good luck with it ;) Remember the battery life improves after a few charge/discharge cycles. Mine took about 1 week to reach optimum levels :wacko:

well thinking about it, with the GPRS and such turned of, mine should last well because it wont be connected all the time then!

that, plus doing the new orange update rom, and turning what you said to GSM, i should get a decent battery life!

Guest Neil5459
done this and deleted the top settings.

why am i still getting G/3G along the top?

The G, 3G and H Icon just shows you what is available, not whether it is connected. Look at the Icon to the Right of the G/3G one, and it should just show your signal strength; if data is connected it will also have a small G at the top of the signal bar

Guest jimbles90
The G, 3G and H Icon just shows you what is available, not whether it is connected. Look at the Icon to the Right of the G/3G one, and it should just show your signal strength; if data is connected it will also have a small G at the top of the signal bar

cheers! Thats all sorted, the signal bar is just plain, so thats right isn't it? ;)

another problem i am having is music.... I put music in the file named MUSIC where the preset ones were, but it said disc space low, please delete some stuff or something. So i tried making a folder in the internal memory folder called MUSIC to mimic the original one, but to no success, it all goes into the internal memory i beleive, but the phone won't find them....

help? how and where do i put music?

Guest Neil5459
cheers! Thats all sorted, the signal bar is just plain, so thats right isn't it? ;)

another problem i am having is music.... I put music in the file named MUSIC where the preset ones were, but it said disc space low, please delete some stuff or something. So i tried making a folder in the internal memory folder called MUSIC to mimic the original one, but to no success, it all goes into the internal memory i beleive, but the phone won't find them....

help? how and where do i put music?

Music- I've replied to your other post :wacko:

GPRS: Correct :(