Why should I upgrade to 6.1?

Guest KingBubbaTruck

Guest KingBubbaTruck

So, thanks to this site, I've got my new blackjack II setup and working great.

I've got:

1) GPS Unlocked and working with Google Maps

2) ICS Setup and working so I can surf on my laptop out in the great outdoors

3) Email accounts hooked up

So, Why should I Upgrade?

I understand there are probably lots and lots of people that have upgraded to 6.1 uneventfully and that its understandable that we would hear more about the problems than the successes.

Just looking for some success stories to convince me that it's worth doing.

Thanks!

Guest Idiotmitten
So, thanks to this site, I've got my new blackjack II setup and working great.

I've got:

1) GPS Unlocked and working with Google Maps

2) ICS Setup and working so I can surf on my laptop out in the great outdoors

3) Email accounts hooked up

So, Why should I Upgrade?

I understand there are probably lots and lots of people that have upgraded to 6.1 uneventfully and that its understandable that we would hear more about the problems than the successes.

Just looking for some success stories to convince me that it's worth doing.

Thanks!

I agree. Everything is working on mine, too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't know what 6.1 brings to the party to risk all the problems that I have been reading about.

Simple answer:

Upgrading is cool. You get to spend lots of time upgrading, followed by lots of time reconfiguring your device. Afterwards, you can look forward to ferreting out answers for new probems the upgrade caused.

Don't complain you won't have enough time to do all this. The new GPS code locks onto satellites faster. Use that free time to justify the upgrade!

I've upgraded to 6.1 with no problems at all and like some of the new features. It was painless (1hr is painless to me).

Guest KingBubbaTruck
Upgrading is cool. You get to spend lots of time upgrading, followed by lots of time reconfiguring your device. Afterwards, you can look forward to ferreting out answers for new probems the upgrade caused.

I've upgraded to 6.1 with no problems at all and like some of the new features. It was painless (1hr is painless to me).

Good Answers! I knew there was someone out there who had done it painlessly...

Maybe I'll wait a few weeks and save up some spare time to get it done...

Guest john redcorn
Good Answers! I knew there was someone out there who had done it painlessly...

Maybe I'll wait a few weeks and save up some spare time to get it done...

It worked fine for me too, no problems at all.

Took me about 2 hrs in all to do the upgrade and reinstall all my apps.

Wasn't really worth the time I guess, the gps does lock on way fast now, but I hardly use the gps, the threaded sms is ok, voice command has been neat to play around with for the past few days but I really won't end up using it and I still like the "windows default" home screen the best, the new 6.1 home screen doesn't have the recent apps icons at the top and doesn't have the google search bar.

Guest whatwhatpopeye

I LOVE how the texting is displayed instant messanger or aim style. Often times, i forget to read a text even though it did notify me (usually im at work) and by the time i read it, i forget what i had said to them. So then, i would have to go to foldersB)

I agree. Everything is working on mine, too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't know what 6.1 brings to the party to risk all the problems that I have been reading about.

Idiotmitten, you are absolutely wrong. Think about it, if your upgrade went fine then more than likely you won't post about the successes, however if your upgrade did not go as planned, you are almost sure to post the negatives. Most of the people I see posting upgrade issues did not follow the instructions (although some have).

Anyway, the 6.1 update adds many features and improves the GPS performance. My wife and I truly love the way the new software works. I upgraded both mine and my wife's phones without a hitch. The best part is: now our GPS works! The new home screen is awesome, you can change the scroll wheel speed, noticeably better calling quality, a better version of Pocket Internet Explorer, the OS is already unlocked, no need for gps hacks, and the threaded sms rocks! Trust me, it's worth the half an hour to upgrade (be sure to reconfigure everything back to the way you like it).

Some of the features listed on the samsung site (www.samsung.com/us/i617/windowsupgrade):

• Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 (AKU1.0.1)
  • Pocket Internet Explorer, 7.11
  • Microsoft Voice Command v1.6.19
  • Microsoft Office Mobile (including One Note,)
  • TeleNav & MobiTV capable
  • Modified UI with updated text & icons in several areas
  • Enhancements to improve call quality (Qualcomm patches)
  • Fixed, Several Bluetooth improvements for BTCK ‘including Peiker, Nokia, Audi, BMW, and others
  • Fixed, Several Bluetooth issues relating to BTHS Jabra, Motorola, Samsung, and others
  • Fixed, BT audio routing(you can now hear sound/music/movies from the bluetooth headset)

• Fixed, Audio playback issue /w certain applications
  • Fixed, Video Calling problems
  • Added, Track Wheel speed values
  • Added, Sliding Media Pane
  • Added, Phonebook Access Profile (PBAP) for Bluetooth
  • Added, Leap year calendar patch for wallpaper
  • Added, Integrated BMW iDrive Patch
  • Removed, Good Messaging Application

www.samsung.com/us/i617/windowsupgrade

i agree nick491........

it is a lot better.

gps faster, voice command, my headset can be used to listen to music (before that didnt work), better IE, it seems to run faster and more stable, organized IM's, the list goes on.

the only thing i haven't got to work yet but im sure there is a way, is the tethering, i use to be able to do it with 6.0 but havnt figured it out with 6.1. my bigest disapointment but im sure it can be done...?

the only thing i haven't got to work yet but im sure there is a way, is the tethering, i use to be able to do it with 6.0 but havnt figured it out with 6.1. my bigest disapointment but im sure it can be done...?

i'm not sure if you're talking about internet connection sharing but in order for this to work, you have to app unlock your bjII after upgrading to 6.1. here's the app i used,

http://mobile.surrealnetworks.com/SDA%20ap...ksAppUnlock.cab

before unlocking, i couldn't pick the network connection with internet connection sharing. but after unlocking, i can connect to MEdia Net, AT&T IMS or AT&T ISP. hope that helps.

i'm not sure if you're talking about internet connection sharing but in order for this to work, you have to app unlock your bjII after upgrading to 6.1. here's the app i used,

http://mobile.surrealnetworks.com/SDA%20ap...ksAppUnlock.cab

before unlocking, i couldn't pick the network connection with internet connection sharing. but after unlocking, i can connect to MEdia Net, AT&T IMS or AT&T ISP. hope that helps.

Are you positive the unlock needs to be run after a 6.1 upgrade? Everything else I've heard is that 6.1 is app unlocked and doens't require it. I know the GPS is definitely unlocked as mine worked fine after 6.1 upgrade.

On topic, I upgraded to 6.1 flawlessly. Granted, my BJII was pretty much stock when I did it, I didn't have to re-install and re-config a bunch of stuff like most of you guys. But the flash update itself went without a hitch, and I really like the new version, for a lot of the new features listed in above posts.

I still like the "windows default" home screen the best, the new 6.1 home screen doesn't have the recent apps icons at the top and doesn't have the google search bar.

Have you tried the CHome Configurator for WM6.1 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=393104) Sliding Panel?

It's very easy to use & you can add up to 10 of your own favorite application in an application launcher plugin for the Sliding Panel Home Screen.

Edited by konker